Best junior grounds

Killiesquirrel

2 hours ago, Jambo in Djibouti said:

A few of the Council parks are good facilities, Petersfield, Glenrothes and Banks of Dee spring to mind. 

My top 10 would be proper junior grounds would be

1. Linlithgow Rose

2. Sauchie

3. Kelty Hearts

4. Newtongrange

5. Pollock

6. Montrose Roselea

7. Auckinleck Talbot

8. Bathgate (Good enclosure, lovely pitch)

9. Rutherglen Glencairn (bit souless but still a good facility)

10. Pumperston (good old fashioned ground, hidden away. Good enclosure) 

As for best pies... its been a while but Haddington were very good. The best ones i had were at Bankfoot, sadly no longer with us. St. Andrews pies used to be good too!

Peasie and Benburb's old grounds were fabulous, but sadly no more. Of the current grounds my favourites are, and I will leave my own club out, as follows.

Pollok's Newlandsfield, my favourite away venue, tight atmospheric and a proper football ground in a great location for refreshment before and after. Not saying it is perfect as it could do with some TLC and upgrading but as a Junior venue, just sublime. Meadow Park, great stand and good big pitch, Bo'ness, great enclosure good big pitch, Linlithgow, cracking grandstand. I am surprised at the above, no Meadow or Bo'ness, when were you last at Talbot?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Jambo in Djibouti said:

A few of the Council parks are good facilities, Petersfield, Glenrothes and Banks of Dee spring to mind. 

1. Linlithgow Rose

2. Sauchie

3. Kelty Hearts

4. Newtongrange

5. Pollock

6. Montrose Roselea

7. Auckinleck Talbot

As for best pies... its been a while but Haddington were very good. The best ones i had were at Bankfoot, sadly no longer with us. St. Andrews pies used to be good too!

Really surprised at the inclusion of the Rutherglen Glencairn ground?? 

Nothing up with it at all, but a bit soulless as you say, and I can think of many grounds way above the Celcius. 

Just my opinion mind lol

1. Linlithgow Rose

2. Sauchie

3. Kelty Hearts

4. Newtongrange

5. Pollock

6. Montrose Roselea

7. Auckinleck Talbot

I'm guessing Petersfield was supposed to be Petershill?

Hello folks,

So on my poll Auchinleck Talbot's Beechwood Park won the majority of votes.

I'm writing a spin-off article on Beechwood Park as a result which will include fan interaction.

So I'm calling out for those who voted for Beechwood Park - why did you choose it?

Also others who enjoy Talbot's ground but did not vote for, what is your favourite things about it?

Cheers!

Beechwood is a very good venue in more and more ways and there always seems to be improvement work ongoing.  They seem to appreciate that to get folk coming out to support the team in numbers you have to try and look after them a bit with decent 21st century facilities. Not every ambitious club can be said to have that outlook. 

One minor negative which I know is outwith their control is the state of the walk up to the bank end entrance. 

33 minutes ago, Quantum Leap said:

Beechwood Park has seen a complete overhaul.
It's unrecognisable from the Beechwood Park of the 70,s and 80,s.
The building devolment fund, a venture started by some magnificent fans,( some of the founders post on here and they are the ones you should speak too ) was supported over the years by the fans who all gave their hard earned cash to transform Beechwood as you see it today.
A stand from Hamiltons old ground Douglas Park was acquired and sits proudly at Beechwood today.
The playing surface is one of the best in Scottish football and used to be a bit of a mire in the winter months.
New terracing, new covered enclosures and new toilets all add to the revamp off Beechwood Park.
The committee and fans should all be proud of what they have achieved in a wee village like Auchinleck which was ravaged by the Thatcher years.
It gives the people of Auchinleck some pride and gave them something to hold onto in really tough times.
The people who founded the development fund hold your head high.
Well done to the people of Auchinleck and surrounding villages.emoji106.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.pngemoji122.png

Must agree. Beechwood is a great setup. Are there any future developments planned?? 

2 minutes ago, Quantum Leap said:

Isa, TFW and Dipple could probably answer your question better than I but as far as I'm aware there is always future developments.

You are right my good man, next project already underway is new catering facilities. The old pie hut has seen better days and will soon be replaced by a modern block which will be able to offer a much more. Consideration is being given to extending the Main Street enclosure although not a priority right now. The current huge Portacabin, which is serving as a memorabilia shop that raises money for the generation fund, will be converted into a nice hospitality area at some stage and the shop will go into the current one, the Peehee hut as its affectionately known. Long term we will probably have to get floodlights to complete a proper modern small stadium. So, plenty to work on and we will keep moving forward as a good modern ground is a definite asset. Have to say, we are massively encouraged by the support from the fans who have been magnificent, not only putting their hands in their pocket but grafting and getting their hands dirty. Illustrated brilliantly when the seats arrived from Bristol and the truck had to be unloaded toot sweet or it would start costing us. Team of supporter arrived on cue, supporters also installed them. It really is a team effort and the quintessential definition of a community club. 

Peasie and Benburb's old grounds were fabulous, but sadly no more. Of the current grounds my favourites are, and I will leave my own club out, as follows.

Pollok's Newlandsfield, my favourite away venue, tight atmospheric and a proper football ground in a great location for refreshment before and after.

Pie Hut could do better with a speedier service

1 hour ago, Talbot Bing said:

Pie Hut could do better with a speedier service

Ach, folk do their best, it will certainly be better laid out with bigger service areas and probably more people could serve, if they have an inclination. 

20 hours ago, Killiesquirrel said:

Hello folks,

So on my poll Auchinleck Talbot's Beechwood Park won the majority of votes.

I'm writing a spin-off article on Beechwood Park as a result which will include fan interaction.

So I'm calling out for those who voted for Beechwood Park - why did you choose it?

Also others who enjoy Talbot's ground but did not vote for, what is your favourite things about it?

Cheers!

The Talbot official website has an article on Beechwood which would give you an insight to the ground since 1909.

9 hours ago, albertz said:

Here is a photo from today just before a cut1480624623729.jpg

Looks decent enough (although I notice the goalmouths aren't pictured) but a lot of places will be just as good as the weather hasn't been terrible so far.  

Also the 1st of December isn't exactly the heart of Winter.  As I said let's see how it looks in January, etc. :P

Not slagging your efforts - which are very good - just testing your self appointed "best pitch in Junior Football" title. 

6 hours ago, catakoom said:

Where ......

New training area inside the ground , nice wee social club below the grandstand , relatively new boundary wall and extended height of fencing behind the left hand goals if you're looking from the stand side . 

The pitch still remains one of the best in scotland and that's not through any recent neglect or standing still in maintaining that . 

Archived