Airdrie v Livi

LIVIFOREVER

The deeper squad won.   Airdrie far better 1st half hour.

Biggest issue is the 2 wide men in the 433 not defending.    Stewart gave a different energy than Fitz in midfield and I was enjoying it.  

The contrast between Airdrie's slick passing v Livi's direct play had me feeling smug and contented.

But we went 442 after the break and started playing long balls in to Dizzy and Dosey.   Actually really poor stuff.

Brown was f**king rank rotten as always.   He'd be League 2's player of the year but he's not good enough for top end of L1.

The Bombscare Boateng myth has run it's course for me and I'm sick of some attempts to portray him as a cult hero.   He's utter shite.

Russell too is a nightmare.   He didn't want it today.  He'll bully lower end teams and hide v. top end ones.

And to bring Scullion and Schidt off the bench shows we're an 8 or 9 man team only.   

But apart from the negatives we got good displays out of Gorman, Conroy, Leitch and Ryan.  Rohan, McIntosh and 1st half Stewart did ok too.

It's just those black holes we need to plug.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought here we go again when Mullen missed a decent chance after getting a toe on the ball to set up a shot, then another chance a few minutes later, then Airdrie score with their first chance, but credit to our players for getting themselves back in the game and finishing the half a lot better looking.

2nd half we improved a lot and fully deserved our win, players fought for everything and dominated the midfield. Glad Mullen got his goal, he really deserved it, puts in a great shift and never stops jostling for the ball. Should give him a wee confidence boost after a dry spell in front of goal. Pittman was superb again, what a player he is for us this season, so consistent.

We got lucky with the Kelly miss kick but Airdrie got a bit lucky with a bad pass back which could easily have gone in their net when their keeper kicked the ball off Mullen, they prob hit that one off the bar too good and it came back out from the underside, Pittman struck the bar too with a good effort so honours evens on near things.

Great win for us though against the in form team from our league, gives us a wee lift for next week when we play Rovers.

We were definitely second best today.  Had a few good chances and some nice play, but overall we were just not up to it.  Too many players played at 60% of their capabilities, so even without many individual shockers (not none, just not many) we were the poorer team for most of the match.  The strikers got very little service, and you could see ho frustrated Ryan was a good bit before the end.  Conroy didn't make many conspicuous mistakes, but also didn't really impose himself on the game very much.  Brown had another poor game, and really wasted a few good attacking opportunities.  Leitch, who would be my man of the match, put in a good shift, but when we're hardly winning any loose balls or finding our own men with any knock-on headers and generally looking incoherent in the middle, that'll only take us so far.

It was disappointing to lose another goal at a cross.  It was an excellent finish, but both the man who sent it in and the man on the end of it were allowed too much space.

There's certainly not the gulf between the sides that there was in the league game, but we'll really have to step it up to get a result at whatever Almondvale is called now in a couple of weeks. 

2 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

The deeper squad won.   Airdrie far better 1st half hour.

Biggest issue is the 2 wide men in the 433 not defending.    Stewart gave a different energy than Fitz in midfield and I was enjoying it.  

The contrast between Airdrie's slick passing v Livi's direct play had me feeling smug and contented.

But we went 442 after the break and started playing long balls in to Dizzy and Dosey.   Actually really poor stuff.

Brown was f**king rank rotten as always.   He'd be League 2's player of the year but he's not good enough for top end of L1.

The Bombscare Boateng myth has run it's course for me and I'm sick of some attempts to portray him as a cult hero.   He's utter shite.

Russell too is a nightmare.   He didn't want it today.  He'll bully lower end teams and hide v. top end ones.

And to bring Scullion and Schidt off the bench shows we're an 8 or 9 man team only.   

But apart from the negatives we got good displays out of Gorman, Conroy, Leitch and Ryan.  Rohan, McIntosh and 1st half Stewart did ok too.

It's just those black holes we need to plug.

If this is the seething mess you are after one loss in six then I'd hate to see what you'd be like if we were still scrapping down the foot of the table.

You are right though, we were bullied by the deeper team. I also thought that the midfield trio were either ten yards too deep or ten yards to high at times, giving Pittman and Byrne too much space. I think we also saw today why Stewart was pushed to right back, he isn't the player to fill the Fitzpatrick shaped hole. 

A lot of people are too harsh on Boateng. He has been very good over the past few weeks, he and big Joe have formed quite the partnership. His basics of tackling, marking and heading are good, but playing from the back with him is scary.

We've played a lot worse this season and got a good hiding off Livingston at the last fixture. I wasn't really bothered about a cup run to the extent that I was humming-and-hawing about going this morning, but I'm glad I did. The league is the far more important issue this season and having an "off day" today is much preferable than going to Peterhead next week and chasing shadows, maybe a kick up the arse today is what's needed to focus the minds for the league campaign. 

Went along to this today as our game was off. Great minds must think alike as I noticed Darren Young and Billy Stark also attended [emoji102].

After a slow start Livi really kicked on and deserved their win. 2 well taken goals also.

Was good to see Josh Mullin play again also, noticed he was moved from right wing to left for the last 20 minutes or so of the first half, has he played on that side for you guys before?

Airdrie look much better than the last time I saw them (our 2-0 win at Broomfield). Boeteng had a bit of a poor one, a number of poor passes and a few horrendous challenges. Are there no other options for Airdrie at centre back?

26 minutes ago, sam2304 said:

Was good to see Josh Mullin play again also, noticed he was moved from right wing to left for the last 20 minutes or so of the first half, has he played on that side for you guys before?

We've been doing this a lot this season, When both Josh and Nicky have played they have both crossed to opposite sides quite often, suppose just to mix it up a bit, I'm not keen though, takes our width away with both wanting to cut inside. 

They haven't played much together recently though, we've been favouring one or the other with De Vita playing. 

9 hours ago, kerrdavidson95 said:

If this is the seething mess you are after one loss in six then I'd hate to see what you'd be like if we were still scrapping down the foot of the table.

Seething mess?  because I said your hero Boateng is useless?   Now you've turned into a seething mess too.

You are right though

As always.  

I warned during our good run that we'd caught a few teams at the right time and won a few soft games.  We've fizzled out against the 2 better teams in Peterhead and Livi after looking good in both games and I've highlighted why.

We have to right the wrongs if we want fans back through the door long term.

We've been doing this a lot this season, When both Josh and Nicky have played they have both crossed to opposite sides quite often, suppose just to mix it up a bit, I'm not keen though, takes our width away with both wanting to cut inside. 

Yeah noticed he only switched when the boy Cadden came on.

How is he working out for you guys? I thought we would we struggle without him but we've coped quite well. Still would rather have him in our team though

1 hour ago, sam2304 said:

Yeah noticed he only switched when the boy Cadden came on.

How is he working out for you guys? I thought we would we struggle without him but we've coped quite well. Still would rather have him in our team though

I prefer Mullin to Cadden, I think he offers more and works harder, I like him as a player, still a bit to go to be the finished article but certainly has the makings of an excellent player. 

Cadden has a bit more skill to take players on than Mullin, Mullin tends to hit the ball from the diagonal when he's met by an opposition player rather than trying to get past him. Mullin has scored more goals than Cadden though and gets into good positions, although a couple of his goals have come from Cadden's crosses. Basically i'd rather have them both playing on the wings than just one of them as I think we're a better looking, more balanced team in attack.

Looked like we went 3-5-2 to start with yesterday until Miller was injured and Cadden came on, Longridge pushed up to go down the other wing, but Cadden came on Longridge dropped back into a 4-4-2 and we looked a better team, that enforced change prob won us the game.

To be fair I think Livingston deserved the win over the piece.

We were the better team for spells but we were really poor for the last half an hour.

In particular, I thought our goal was superb. The passing that lead up to it was excellent, I've rarely seen an Airdrie team capable of doing that my time watching them. We really should have scored at least another goal in first half and we were made to pay for that.

As some have mentioned already, big Bo had a nightmare second half and looked more like the player he was at the start of the season (a bomb scare).

We have a decent first choice 11 but beyond that we're struggling, especially with Fitzpatrick out long term.

It'll be interesting to see if the chairman makes a few quid available to bring in a few numbers in January to allow us to seriously challenge for the league.

Archived