"Fake News"

Zetterlund

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, stonedsailor said:

FB_IMG_1483462085536.jpg

When in all of human history has more information been more freely available? Many people here will remember when news was the BBC, ITV and the newspapers, maybe a few souls bought magazines like The Spectator, Economist or Private Eye.

Its interesting to note that people seem to think criticism of obvious bullsh*t such as "pizzagate" can be rebranded as some kind of thin wedge to an Orwellian world.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I used to look around Jihadi web sites to try and figure out what made them tick, stay well clear now. At a minimum you could end up on the no fly list with no explanation.

VPN + Tor Browser.

3 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The only news sources I trust are Sims blogs.

TBH you could easily think Jihadi sites in English were JRR Tolkein fan sites. The Sim blogs are far darker.

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

When in all of human history has more information been more freely available? Many people here will remember when news was the BBC, ITV and the newspapers, maybe a few souls bought magazines like The Spectator, Economist or Private Eye.

Its interesting to note that people seem to think criticism of obvious bullsh*t such as "pizzagate" can be rebranded as some kind of thin wedge to an Orwellian world.

That is true, but all this free information doesn't make people challenge their beliefs, All most folk do with this library at their fingertips is look for stuff they already like.

The internet hardens views, it doesn't challenge them.

3 hours ago, dorlomin said:

There is too much information out there, you are correct. Maybe we should censor it so that only the official line gets through?

The problem with the fake news meme is that those entities which are purporting to be against it are in fact the worst offenders. Those who are pushing the Russian hacking narrative etc are the same voices who unquestioningly informed us of Saddam's WMDs and massacres in Libya, Kosovo etc.

US Representative Oscar Callaway is on Congressional Record from February 9th, 1917 stating:

In March 1915, the JP Morgan interests, the steel, shipbuilding and powder interests, and their subsidiary organisations, got together 12 men in the newspaper world, and employed them to select the most influential newspapers in the United States and a sufficient number of them to control generally the policy of the daily press of the United States. They found it was only necessary to purchase the control of 25 of the greatest papers. The 25 papers were agreed upon, emissaries were sent to purchase the policy, national and international, of these papers... an editor was furnished for each paper to properly supervise and edit information regarding the questions of preparedness, militarism, financial policies, and other things of national and international nature considered vital to the interests of the purchasers, and to suppress everything in opposition to the wishes of the interests served.

Almost 100 years ago to the day... how things have changed!

16 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

US Representative Oscar Callaway is on Congressional Record from February 9th, 1917 stating:

Almost 100 years ago to the day... how things have changed!

What is your source for this quote. I can only find, rather exotic shall we say, website repeating this quote. Link

All I can find on the representative quoted i

s this 

In 1917 he charged that leading business interests were purchasing newspapers to advance the preparedness campaign, which led his colleague J. Hampton Moore to call for an investigation.[3] His opposition to preparedness was a major factor in his loss of the renomination bid to James Clifton Wilson, and he retired to Comanche on March 3, 1917.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Callaway

Its seems about 100 years ago someone may have accused JP Morgan of running the media. There is no evidence of this. It seems to be a conspiracy website version of the very real role of Edward Bernays and the "Committee on Public Information", but that was what we now think of as PR, not complete control of the media. 

2 hours ago, dorlomin said:

What is your source for this quote. I can only find, rather exotic shall we say, website repeating this quote. Lin

It's from the book The Money Mafia, by Paul Hellyer, former Canadian Minister of Defence. It's basically a history of the financial system since the inception of the Federal Reserve. I assume his source is the Congressional Record itself.

23 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Worth reading what woodrow Wilson said about the federal reserve act

Aye I'm familiar with his views on it. Quite amazing that a sovereign nation would hand over control of its own money supply to a group of private bankers.

3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

It's from the book The Money Mafia, by Paul Hellyer, former Canadian Minister of Defence. It's basically a history of the financial system since the inception of the Federal Reserve. I assume his source is the Congressional Record itself.

The guy seems to have some interesting views

this book argues the existence of exotic energy sources to replace fossil fuels and consequently recommends an immediate end to fracking and offshore drilling for oil. It further urges an immediate worldwide mobilization to replace the energy source in every car, truck, tractor, ship, airplane, and house on Earth in seven years in a desperate effort to save the planet from further overheating

http://www.paulhellyerweb.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Hellyer#Extraterrestrial_issues

41 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

The guy seems to have some interesting views

Indeed. It's fair to say some of his work is a bit of an eye-opener. Some fairly incredible stuff from an otherwise seemingly credible person makes for interesting reading.

Archived