Buying property abroad

True Saintee

Does anyone have any experiance in buying property abroad?

Myself and my partner are hoping to do so sometime in the not too distant future and would love to hear from folk who have already done so. Any hints and tips would be appreciated, and just generally where to start.

Would really dependant where you want to buy the property and for what reason. Laws and regulations are different from country to country. I've bought property before in both Canada and Hungary. Canada was easy to buy and hard to sell. Hungary was generally a lot of hassle.

As above poster says, very much dependant on where you're thinking of.

As an example, I've bought in UK, Hong Kong, USA and the Philippines. UK was probably the most complicated (but not particularly) and the Philippines the easiest-turn up with the cash and here's the deeds. But, I've heard others who have had some problems when buying so who knows! Hong Kong was the most expensive for bureaucracy; stamp duty, legal fees, agent fees etc soon add up.

As above poster says, very much dependant on where you're thinking of.

As an example, I've bought in UK, Hong Kong, USA and the Philippines. UK was probably the most complicated (but not particularly) and the Philippines the easiest-turn up with the cash and here's the deeds. But, I've heard others who have had some problems when buying so who knows! Hong Kong was the most expensive for bureaucracy; stamp duty, legal fees, agent fees etc soon add up.

I should have said I bought (via the wife) in Indonesia and that was ridiculous just like the Philippines. Cash - deeds. It really doesn't get any easier.

I should have said I bought (via the wife) in Indonesia and that was ridiculous just like the Philippines. Cash - deeds. It really doesn't get any easier.

Exactly. I'm just hoping the deeds are a) genuine and b) are for the property I believe I bought. Still, it's the Philippines so what can go wrong!

Just think of the worst then double it. :-) it is a risk, but much the same as buying overseas anywhere and at least if there is a problem, it will be cheaper to solve out here.

Funnily, I'm back in my favourite country just now meeting with potential investors on a business and I keep thinking, what the f##k am I doing. Definately nothing can go wrong.

Archived