Airdrie v Stenny

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easiest game we've had in seasons. Five, but could so easily have been more if we hadn't started showboating. Game changed when we moved Willis to the wing after 15 minutes. Poor left back will be having nightmares. That was honestly quite hilarious.

Aye, I've done myself a beauty there.

In my defence, I didn't for a second think we'd win 6-0, I just saw a 100/1 shot and stuck a quid on it. It's the time for miracles after all.

5-0 to Stenny was even more surprising though. We played very poorly, had no breaks at all and had a man unjustly sent off. Still not good enough though, just have to put it behind us and move on.

Next week's game will no doubt be even more difficult now, but ye never know.

Well that was a shocker and hopefully a one - off freak result. Only emphasises our weaknesses though and how much we need to improve if we want to get promoted. Boateng's a liability and Gorman, as good as he's been, has a mistake in him. Need to have much better than two error - prone centre - halfs if we seriously want to challenge.

And we need another striker. Preferably before next weekend.

Apparently Ryan got sent off for foul and abusive language in the tunnel after the game

Excellent, that's should see us line up next week:

Wee boy (Rohan)

Wee boy (McIntosh) - Wee Boy - Gorman - McDonald

Leitch - Hutton - Conroy

Wee Boy - Wee Boy

We could see a similar score line as today too.

It was a frustrating afternoon all round, but it is probably a bit of a reality check for us.

I said just before our good run started under McBride that the squad was shy of a few players to really make a good go at the league and while the management team deserve great credit for the run we've been on since then, we're still sorely lacking in quality and depth.

I thought we looked perfectly comfortable for the first 20 minutes today, but the whole thing turned on a few incidents involving Northcroft. Denying Russell a free kick after a blatant push by McCormack (who'd already been booked), booking Russell for protesting and awarding lots of nothing fouls all seemed to get into our player's heads. We switched off defensively for 5 minutes, found ourselves 2 down and then Boateng is sent off for a nothing foul. To rub salt in the wounds we then concede a third straight goal afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, we were poor and the players need to show more mental toughness than that. However, the referee had a huge impact on the game.

Credit to Stenny, they took their chances when they came and stopped us from getting any sort of rhythm.

We now need to bounce back quickly, we have a huge couple of weeks coming up.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Cannot wait to see the highlights for this.

Does anyone know the last time we bodied someone 5-0 in the league? Must have been around 2005/06 when we used to hammer Montrose and East Stirlingshire on a regular basis.

Here's hoping Brechin City can do us a decent turn this evening.

Would have been then aye, 5-0 vs Montrose and the 5-0 & 7-0's vs The Shire that season.

Although tbf The Shire also done us 5-0 later on, and did Montrose not put a few past us as well on the last day?

Just now, Christophe said:

Would have been then aye, 5-0 vs Montrose and the 5-0 & 7-0's vs The Shire that season.

Although tbf The Shire also done us 5-0 later on, and did Montrose not put a few past us as well on the last day?

The 2006/07 season saw us thrashed 5-0 by the Shire at Firs Park. An absolutely awful afternoon from start to finish. I don't think Montrose have ever beaten us by such a great margin, certainly while I've been following Stenny, although I'm sure they beat us 5-3 in 2008/09 (after which we went on a fantastic run of form and, ultimately, won promotion through the play-offs).

12 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

It was a frustrating afternoon all round, but it is probably a bit of a reality check for us.

I said just before our good run started under McBride that the squad was shy of a few players to really make a good go at the league and while the management team deserve great credit for the run we've been on since then, we're still sorely lacking in quality and depth.

I thought we looked perfectly comfortable for the first 20 minutes today, but the whole thing turned on a few incidents involving Northcroft. Denying Russell a free kick after a blatant push by McCormack (who'd already been booked), booking Russell for protesting and awarding lots of nothing fouls all seemed to get into our player's heads. We switched off defensively for 5 minutes, found ourselves 2 down and then Boateng is sent off for a nothing foul. To rub salt in the wounds we then concede a third straight goal afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, we were poor and the players need to show more mental toughness than that.

The likes of Ryan and Russell need to take a look at themselves after that. We looked comfortable until those 2, and then a few others following their lead, for some reason got incredibly wound up over a couple of nothing decisions in nothing areas of the park. We then completely lost concentration and fell apart. No leaders on the park at all, Ryan is a younger guy but being our best player sets an example that others follow, and needs to be better than going round shouting abuse at officials and team mates. Russell is the captain, oldest player and is the most immature in the team. Spends the whole game moaning and whining at officials and is more preoccupied with winning free-kicks and diving then contributing in a positive way.

If Ryan got sent-off it wouldn't surprise me as that was his behaviour all game, and totally idiotic given next week's game. It's easy when you are winning every week, but you see the players' real character in games like today, and it wasn't pretty.

Just now, Francesc Fabregas said:

The 2006/07 season saw us thrashed 5-0 by the Shire at Firs Park. An absolutely awful afternoon from start to finish. I don't think Montrose have ever beaten us by such a great margin, certainly while I've been following Stenny, although I'm sure they beat us 5-3 in 2008/09 (after which we went on a fantastic run of form and, ultimately, won promotion through the play-offs).

Did they not beat us 5-2 at Ochilview late on that season?(06/07?). We were ahead twice then folded

If Ryan was sent off that's the icing on the cake. I agree with Diamonds are Forever. It's one thing getting booked or sent off for a mistimed tackle but mouthing is something else.

Don't expect that Wilson will consider himself experienced enough to do something about it but I hope Dalziel has the guts to hit Russell and Ryan in the pocket. 

49 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The likes of Ryan and Russell need to take a look at themselves after that. We looked comfortable until those 2, and then a few others following their lead, for some reason got incredibly wound up over a couple of nothing decisions in nothing areas of the park. We then completely lost concentration and fell apart. No leaders on the park at all, Ryan is a younger guy but being our best player sets an example that others follow, and needs to be better than going round shouting abuse at officials and team mates. Russell is the captain, oldest player and is the most immature in the team. Spends the whole game moaning and whining at officials and is more preoccupied with winning free-kicks and diving then contributing in a positive way.

If Ryan got sent-off it wouldn't surprise me as that was his behaviour all game, and totally idiotic given next week's game. It's easy when you are winning every week, but you see the players' real character in games like today, and it wasn't pretty.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously man. The crowd were far more wound up than Ryan or Russell.  Some actually quite idiotic shouts today as the theme seemed to be that we'd a ref that was against us. He made a few errors but it's still up to us as a team not to get smashed by Stenhouse-fucking-muir. We're a mile ahead of them on points but they were light years in front of us today on the park.

One small addendum: Last Sunday, Airdrie were 1/3 at the bookies for this match. Today, 4/6. Thats a big betting pattern. May mean nothing but......

I don't think you have heard the last about this game guys. The betting pattern tells you something was up. Stenny gambled all weak 6/1 down to 5/2. Airdrie went from 1/3 to 4/5. Someone has lined there pockets. 

HAHAHAHAHA!
Seriously man. The crowd were far more wound up than Ryan or Russell.  Some actually quite idiotic shouts today as the theme seemed to be that we'd a ref that was against us. He made a few errors but it's still up to us as a team not to get smashed by Stenhouse-fucking-muir. We're a mile ahead of them on points but they were light years in front of us today on the park.
One small addendum: Last Sunday, Airdrie were 1/3 at the bookies for this match. Today, 4/6. Thats a big betting pattern. May mean nothing but......

The ref made a few errors what game were you watching. The referee was a fucking joke, he shouldn't be allowed to referee table football

14 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Do you think that can go on mate?   i stick to the horses as I think footy is as bent as f**k.

You're 100% spot on about the display.  We were just awful despite looking good going forwards.  The 3 midfielders were looking great early but we buckled under  very little pressure.

Archived