Most iconic game of the 21st century?

5 minutes ago, Dominique Malonga said:

Did Aberdeen not have Atletico in their group? I can remember the Copenhagen, Lokomotiv and Bayern games.

We beat Dnipro in the play offs.

We were away to Atletico and Panathinaikos and home to Copenhagen and Lokomotiv Moscow in the groups.

Then Bayern last 32.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did Aberdeen not have Atletico in their group? I can remember the Copenhagen, Lokomotiv and Bayern games.

We had Atletico, Panathanoikos (sp.?) Lokomotiv Moscow and Copenhagen. Lost away to the first two, drew at home 1-1 to Lokomotiv (Zander Diamond scored a header from a corner) and pumped Copenhagen 4-0. Those four points took us into the next round where Bayern Munich knocked us out.

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

What do you mean "previously"?

Before winning the cup last summer, it was widely believed that Hibs winning another Scottish Cup was a sure fire sign that hell was about to freeze over and the world as we know it would end.

4 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Before winning the cup last summer, it was widely believed that Hibs winning another Scottish Cup was a sure fire sign that hell was about to freeze over and the world as we know it would end.

Hibs win Scottish cup followed by brexit and trump 

some would have you believe that the signs may have been right :lol:

We beat Dnipro in the play offs.

We were away to Atletico and Panathinaikos and home to Copenhagen and Lokomotiv Moscow in the groups.

Then Bayern last 32.

Yeah, lost 2-0 in Madrid.

We had Atletico, Panathanoikos (sp.?) Lokomotiv Moscow and Copenhagen. Lost away to the first two, drew at home 1-1 to Lokomotiv (Zander Diamond scored a header from a corner) and pumped Copenhagen 4-0. Those four points took us into the next round where Bayern Munich knocked us out.

Aye I can remember the Dnipro play off now. Seems like a lifetime ago that we had a non Old Firm side do well in Europe. I actually thought McInnes had a good chance the last few years as the wins over Groningen and Rijeka are as good as we've had since 2007-2008. You were unlucky drawing a quality Sociedad side and Kairat were a decent side with a lot of money behind them. I don't think many teams have went over to Kazakhstan and picked up points. Maribor was a missed opportunity as Aberdeen were the better side. The ref was absolutely shocking in the away leg.

Aye I tenner the Dnipro play off now. Seems a lifetime ago that we had a non Old Firm side do well in Europe. I actually thought McInnes had a good chance the last few years as the wins over Groningen and Rijeka are as good as we've had since 2007-2008. You were unlucky drawing a quality Sociedad side and Kairat were a decent side with a lot of money behind them. I don't think many teams have went over to Kazakhstan and picked up points. Maribor was a missed opportunity as Aberdeen were a better side. The ref was absolutely shocking in the away leg.

Back in 2008 there was only 1 qualifier, pretty sure the current Aberdeen side would have been in the groups by now had we only needed one qualifier. We've won 6 ties in 3 years and still only ever been 2 ties away from the groups.

Maribor sticks in the throat I have to say, they were shite but probably the worst refereeing performance I can remember. Still, if Rooney didn't decide that night was the one time he'd miss a pen we'd probably have gone through

Back in 2008 there was only 1 qualifier, pretty sure the current Aberdeen side would have been in the groups by now had we only needed one qualifier. We've won 6 ties in 3 years and still only ever been 2 ties away from the groups.
Maribor sticks in the throat I have to say, they were shite but probably the worst refereeing performance I can remember. Still, if Rooney didn't decide that night was the one time he'd miss a pen we'd probably have gone through

Jamie smith was brilliant that European campaign iirc.

Aye Rooney should have stuck the penalty away but the ball was in the net had the referee played on. I was fucking watching that ref as the game went on :lol: we had an arsehole in charge at home against Brondby too. I thought that was a nightmare draw but they were no better than us and we probably should have beat them.

Jamie smith was brilliant that European campaign iirc.

Aye Rooney should have stuck the penalty away but the ball was in the net had the referee played on. I was fucking watching that ref as the game went on :lol: we had an arsehole in charge at home against Brondby too. I thought that was a nightmare draw but they were no better than us and we probably should have beat them.

Oh I know, I was standing in the pub shouting 'WE FUCKING SCORED' about thirty times [emoji1]

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

A redundant point now, but if the 2016 cup final had gone differently, 5-1 would have won it.

Personally I'd say that the oddity of a cup final between two second tier teams is probably more iconic of the strange and topsy turvy times we live in.

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Which 5-1 though?

Personally I'd say that the oddity of a cup final between two second tier teams is probably more iconic of the strange and topsy turvy times we live in.

How many goals was it de vries scored against hibs in the 5-1 game back in 2002 . Did he score all 5 or was it 4? Remember watching that game aswell on BBC one back in the day 

1 minute ago, Forever_blueco said:

When was this ? 

Apart from a 1929 East Of Scotland Shield the only 4-4 game was Jan 2 2003

It's the one that was 2-2 until Hibs scored in the 89th and 91st

It's also the reason why you should never leave a football game early

http://londonhearts.com/scores/games/200301021.html

Archived