Birmingham Prison Riot

mizfit

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do love the media's wording of these events. I'm not arguing that it wasn't a riot, but this and the riots down south back in 2011 were very quickly labelled as riots.

Compare this to the 'Arab Spring', it was clear to anyone that the events unfolding were looking more and more like serious civil unrest and leading potentially to civil war (e.g. Syria and Libya), yet BBC reporters were describing how 'tense protests' were unfolding before them.

Am I missing something really obvious?

1 minute ago, BuddieInDundee said:

I do love the media's wording of these events. I'm not arguing that it wasn't a riot, but this and the riots down south back in 2011 were very quickly labelled as riots.

Compare this to the 'Arab Spring', it was clear to anyone that the events unfolding were looking more and more like serious civil unrest and leading potentially to civil war (e.g. Syria and Libya), yet BBC reporters were describing how 'tense protests' were unfolding before them.

Am I missing something really obvious?

It was in a prison. It was a take over by prisoners. 

The Arab Spring was a pretty diverse group of political protest movements that in some cases turned into all out civil wars and in others turned into new governments (Tunnisia). 

There are a good few protest s where the press focus on the violent fringe and talk about riots but this is really just about the worst example to pick of the press misrepresenting an event. 

I've worked with offenders for years and I do chuckle at the hierarchy they create within these places where sex offenders are always at the bottom where they try to justify their morals and offending.

Alan Lithgow would be seen as a bigger scumbag than Hitler by a lot of the folk I've met in the Justice system.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

How much have public services had budgets cut versus drop off in services in the last five years? I have noticed no drop off in quality of roads, any hospital wait times when I've needed them are the same and my bin is never overflowing.

Meanwhile people are now retiring at 57 and eating less biscuits and 'it's reaching breaking point' .

NHS acute service spending, roads budgets and basically anything pig ignorant entitled people who don't actually rely on public services would notice tend to be largely protected. generally because these morons who get life handed to them ona plate complain the loudest when there idyll is disturbed.

A practical example from my area of work would be the few hundred thousand in cuts that has meant voluntary redundancies/ early retirement of front line social workers has contributed towards a 4 million pounds overspend on accommodating children away from home. Apart from the shite economics this will havea hgely negative impact on the lives of those young people and will end up costing us all more in the future. Their bins will probably be ok though.

3 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

You really are coming across as a right thicko. Emergency services workers signed up to do 30 to 35 years on the front line....quite often risking life and limb every day and getting all sorts of abuse. The deal was you do your time then get the benefits you've paid heavily into.

For the government of the day to come along and pull the rug out and tell some of them they have to do more years for less pension and lump sum is just outragious.

It is outrageous but the rug is getting pulled out from under lots of workers across the spectrum, somethings got to give when we're in a mess.

Both private and public sector organisations have to 'cut their cloth' accordingly. Just my opinion, but it seems those in the public sector find this harder to accept, probably because they seem to have been 'protected' from such realities more than many in the private sector.

I have family who work/worked in the public sector and it amused me to listen to their numerous gripes about their terms and conditions - they simply had such an unrealistic expectation of how things should be.

I worked in the shitty end of HR in manufacturing companies for 20+ years so i have plenty of horror stories to tell.

I guess those working in one sector will never understand the views of those in another. But I'll admit to being constantly irked by the 'nobody has had it as bad as us' complaints by those in the public sector.

I'll put my tin hat on and await the incoming missiles!

55 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

For those keeping score the police have called me an idiot, a moron, and a person who "doesn't have a clue" on this thread. I have offered no abuse. Pretty consistent with the standard we've come to expect.

You might not have offered any abuse, but you have offered a lot of ignorance.

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Both private and public sector organisations have to 'cut their cloth' accordingly. Just my opinion, but it seems those in the public sector find this harder to accept, probably because they seem to have been 'protected' from such realities more than many in the private sector.

I have family who work/worked in the public sector and it amused me to listen to their numerous gripes about their terms and conditions - they simply had such an unrealistic expectation of how things should be.

I worked in the shitty end of HR in manufacturing companies for 20+ years so i have plenty of horror stories to tell.

I guess those working in one sector will never understand the views of those in another. But I'll admit to being constantly irked by the 'nobody has had it as bad as us' complaints by those in the public sector.

Why don't you make a stand for better rights? Never mind, with Brexit we will all see our rights at work at work and living standards plummet. For what it's worth, I have worked in both the private and public sector of healthcare,  Guess which one was better ?

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's an incredibly stupid point to look at the private and public sector as if they were the same thing.

Because it's not about cutting cloth to suit prevailing market conditions. Cuts to the public sector through austerity are ideologically driven. There is no economic need for what is happening to happen.

People working in the public sector complain loudest not just because they are directly affected but because every day they can see the effect this has on public services we all rely on.

There is an inherent element of risk in any private venture, that's how capitalism works. The reason we have public sector services is that their functions are deemed to be sufficiently socially important that they need to be protected from that risk.

Unfortunately less and less is seen that way to the point now where things like running prisons or care for the elderly or adult with complex needs are seen as areas where the swings and roundabouts of capitalism are acceptable.

Why don't you make a stand for better rights? Never mind, with Brexit we will all see our rights at work at work and living standards plummet. For what it's worth, I have worked in both the private and public sector of healthcare,  Guess which one was better ?

Easy enough to answer that first question. I never had an issue with my rights so that wasn't a battle I needed to fight.

The Brexit issue. That surely comes from people who perceived they were standing up for their rights?

I'll guess you're going to say the private sector was better.

I'm not looking to turn this into a full-scale debate because I fully appreciate there are things wrong in the public sector but let's also not forget similar wrongs have happened in the private sector as well - employees losing their jobs and discovering their pensions were going to be discounted due to funding issues- think BHS as a very recent example (admittedly the BHS one may not now happen but that's due to them having a wealthy ex-owner willing to pick up the tab - doesn't happen often).

Archived