Cumbernauld Colts

Urris67

Cumbernauld were good value for their win over Celtic B yesterday. The visitors were impressive throughout with their dedication to always playing out from the back, whatever pressure they were under, & progressing upfield with fast accurate pass & move football. That said, they struggled to break down their highly organised, fit, hardworking & aggressive (in their pressing) hosts, & if I recall correctly, Adamson's only saves in the home goal were regulation in response to efforts from distance.

Celtic did hit the outside of a post & the side netting in the second half, but other than that the best chances throughout the game were created by Cumbernauld. Aswell as their goal on the half-hour, they had the ball in the net twice more in the first period, but were denied by officials' interventions, & didn't take some great opportunities to put the game to bed in the second period.

The benefit of keeping their squad together from last season seems clear for Cumbernauld, as they look to have started this season how they finished last. And whilst they've made no 'headline' signings, the additions that they have made look to be good ones, with right back Keelan Adams giving Celtic's wide players no joy at all, & Kai Kirkpatrick being energetic & aggressive in the middle of the park. Promising signs!

Cumbernauld Colts looked very solid and capable in this one. Up front, the lad Mortimer looks like a cracking striker at this level... hatrick for him tonight; really good finish for first, strikers knack of being in right place for the 2nd, 3rd is one of the best and most confidently hit penalties I've seen for a while.

I know it's hard to judge the Uni just now as they are maybe not quite at full strength yet, but Cumbernauld looked very solid, comfortable and I can see them pinching some points of some of the more fancied sides.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up in Cumbernauld. Clyde were top on the Championship at the time and were getting 1000 fans on a really good day. I'm not sure if Clyde are even the third best supported team in Cumbernauld with Thistle and Airdrie having decent supports in the town behind the two arsecheeks obviously. Colts, or anyone else, has no chance of attracting a large support in Cumbernauld. There are just too many alternatives 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, lowenan said:

In second place at the moment, after another win yesterday. Wonderful season for Cumbernauld Colts.

Certainly a very good first third of the season, following on from a similar period at the back end of last, & as I suggested in some early season posts, the key looks to have been the keeping together & ongoing development of  much of last season's squad. Taking chances / scoring goals was their issue last season, & it looked like that could be continuing with just Mortimer finding the net in early season games, but goals coming from a number of players now at an average of two a game, which will give you a chance of winning the majority of games in this league, particularly when only conceding at around one a game. A long way to go, & other teams have games in hand, but certainly a top-4 finish looks to be an achievable, albeit challenging target for the Colts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...