Queens Park v. Airdrie 7th Jan 2017

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair comment and well argued. Nothing wrong with moaning,it shows you care. They were maybe a bit embarrassed they hadn't thought of it. Our gates over the last 2 years would could argue that the Clyde game was a one-off and the festive season always draws more out but even if it had been a big gate for just one game it's still worth the effort. 

Don't give up.

To be fair to Boateng he did save a great header form Wharton that looked goalbound. And the number 4 made a great lay-off for McGeever to score with. Ach! I'm just trying to be nice. The guy's a donkey.

It's a wee bit harsh saying our goal came from a mistake after all that happened after the guy got tackled. Lovely movement. See the way young McPherson opens his body up to allow the ball to travel forward. Attackers need the ball to be facing the goal. Hope he gets a few more games after that performance. Miles ahead of Malone.

Despite how well we played, had Oor Wullie not made that cracking save before half-time it might have been different. As for the Airdrie goal, don't leave a low-flying midfielder to defend a big striker. Who was Cummins marking?

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Fair comment and well argued. Nothing wrong with moaning,it shows you care. They were maybe a bit embarrassed they hadn't thought of it. Our gates over the last 2 years would could argue that the Clyde game was a one-off and the festive season always draws more out but even if it had been a big gate for just one game it's still worth the effort. 

Don't give up.

We're only going to get gates like against Clyde once in a blue moon, but the opportunity was there for us to capitalise in a number of areas. Newspapers and websites don't have any SPFL games to report on or preview. With the 150th anniversary, we should be exploiting all opportunities because we've actually got a bit of a story to tell this year. If we'd pretty much opened the doors with loads of comps and dropped prices, that would have generated a wee bit of media interest and given us the opportunity to get into areas of the media that we wouldn't normally get to. It's generated interest a number of times when other clubs have done it. 

If we'd gone round local community organisations, businesses, pubs etc. with a rake of comps and dropped the prices to £5 we'd absolutely have added a few onto the gate and generated more business at the club and club shop. All we had to do was frame it as inviting the community in to help us celebrate the start of an historic year. There was no Celtic Park, Ibrox or Firhill for anyone to visit. If we'd got onto the BBC, into the Record, Evening Times/Herald etc. and actually drummed up a bit of awareness, we could have had a few hundred more in. I'd like to know if (a) The club considered a similar scheme to the Clyde game (b) If they made any attempt whatsoever to be pro-active and contact the media themselves? I'm happy to be corrected if others know otherwise, but I suspect that the answer is probably "No" to both of those. 

2 hours ago, an86 said:

We're only going to get gates like against Clyde once in a blue moon, but the opportunity was there for us to capitalise in a number of areas. Newspapers and websites don't have any SPFL games to report on or preview. With the 150th anniversary, we should be exploiting all opportunities because we've actually got a bit of a story to tell this year. If we'd pretty much opened the doors with loads of comps and dropped prices, that would have generated a wee bit of media interest and given us the opportunity to get into areas of the media that we wouldn't normally get to. It's generated interest a number of times when other clubs have done it. 

If we'd gone round local community organisations, businesses, pubs etc. with a rake of comps and dropped the prices to £5 we'd absolutely have added a few onto the gate and generated more business at the club and club shop. All we had to do was frame it as inviting the community in to help us celebrate the start of an historic year. There was no Celtic Park, Ibrox or Firhill for anyone to visit. If we'd got onto the BBC, into the Record, Evening Times/Herald etc. and actually drummed up a bit of awareness, we could have had a few hundred more in. I'd like to know if (a) The club considered a similar scheme to the Clyde game (b) If they made any attempt whatsoever to be pro-active and contact the media themselves? I'm happy to be corrected if others know otherwise, but I suspect that the answer is probably "No" to both of those. 

Did you send your email to the General Manager/Secretary? She'll probably get round to answering it in a couple of months, that's if someone reminds her. She is soooooooo busy.... 

Next time send it direct to the President. He may respond a bit sooner but it will be in the arrogant and condescending manner that befits his personality 

6 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Why do the highlights look even worse than in real life?

Queens thoroughly deserved their win but Airdrie's defending scares the shit out of me.

At the first the move started with a bad pass from the otherwise excellent McIntosh.   Great break from Queens and a really sweet finish but it's embarrassing watching Gorman play for offside only to find that clueless twat Boateng aimlessly backing off and ruining Gorman's work.

At the 2nd the camera unfortunately  doesn't show you Boateng utterly f**king up.   He was actually marking the eventual scorer as the f/k was being struck.   He's still standing rooted to the same spot, sucking his thumb, wondering what he's doing.   Look at Hutton asking why the scorer  is in acres.

Several players are being targetted by the fans for shit like poor passing or percieved attitude/workrate but it's literally that useless f**king monstrosity that is ruining the whole team.

Why does Rohan go mental at Gorman,and not Boateng, after the first goal then?

Gorman is standing looking at Boateng when appealing for offside, he isn't playing for offside or doing 'good work', he just thinks the striker is marginally ahead of Boateng so tries a hopeful appeal. Gorman then doesn't get back into position, he is the left centre back yet Boateng has to move across because Gorman is in no man's land, he isn't pressing the ball or holding position, he's nowhere and Rohan knew it which is why he gave him an earful and not Boateng.

I don't think there is any debate that Boateng isn't good enough. And you often make some good points. The problem is that when McIntosh and Gorman make mistakes leading to goals you brush them off like they aren't important (see above, see last week), when Boateng makes equally important mistakes you absolutely slaughter him. I'm not picking on Gorman just for poor passing - although his distribution is undoubtedly terrible, I'm pointing out that he is equally as out his depth as Boateng is and if you were to go through the goals we've conceded this season you would see that.

15 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Did you send your email to the General Manager/Secretary? She'll probably get round to answering it in a couple of months, that's if someone reminds her. She is soooooooo busy.... 

Next time send it direct to the President. He may respond a bit sooner but it will be in the arrogant and condescending manner that befits his personality 

It was to the General Manager. A courtesy reply would have done, either way. I'd like to think that the club at least looked at the option, but it's disappointing not to be acknowledged at all. I think we could promote ourselves better within the community. When did you last walk into a shop in the Southside and see a Queen's Park v <whoever> this Saturday at Hampden? I'm not going to pretend it's easy and that people would flock to games, but we need to get ourselves out there more.

I'm not being critical for the sake of it, we do very good things as well. I think our concessions price is commendable. When I was in the unfortunate position of finding myself without a job a few years ago, the £2 entry was something that genuinely made a difference to me. However, could we even do more with that? Do pensioners in the area know that they can get a season of football for £40? Do students at local secondary schools, colleges etc. know that their local club can offer them a season of football at £40? Maybe the club does do this and, again, I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I've not heard of them really going out and screaming from the rooftops that we're here. We should be talking to anyone who'll listen and not just hoping that people will turn up. 

15 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The Airdrie highlights show you Gorman answer back.  

Gorman is standing looking at Boateng when appealing for offside, he isn't playing for offside or doing 'good work', he just thinks the striker is marginally ahead of Boateng so tries a hopeful appeal. Gorman then doesn't get back into position, he is the left centre back yet Boateng has to move across because Gorman is in no man's land, he isn't pressing the ball or holding position, he's nowhere and Rohan knew it which is why he gave him an earful and not Boateng.

The Airdrie highlights show you better.   Gorman clearly tries to play the striker off but the useless galoot is on his own planet doing his own thing.    You can see Gorman giving it back to Rohan too and explaining what he tried to do.     TBH,  it's a bit like "lord of the flies" in there just now.     Yet again, it shows a lack of coaching,  co-ordinated approach and strategy.  

I don't agree with your reading of it but that's no big deal to me.   I would like to point out though that I never see anyone having a go at Boateng.   Ryan did a few games ago (Stenny) and it looked like BoDiddy was going to attack Ryan.   Is there a massive unapproachable bad attitude there?

I don't think there is any debate that Boateng isn't good enough. And you often make some good points.

Boateng is beyond help and clearly affecting results and performances of other.

The problem is that when McIntosh and Gorman make mistakes leading to goals you brush them off like they aren't important (see above, see last week), when Boateng makes equally important mistakes you absolutely slaughter him. I'm not picking on Gorman just for poor passing - although his distribution is undoubtedly terrible, I'm pointing out that he is equally as out his depth as Boateng is and if you were to go through the goals we've conceded this season you would see that.

I know you don't particularly like me but you're really misrepresenting me.  I have highlighted mistakes from both boys and others EVERY game but I clearly say that they're young and inexperienced players who have to learn from the rectifiable mistakes that I've pointed out repeatedly.  Unfortunately I don't see where the coaching is sufficiently good.   IMO McIntosh is quickly becoming one of our better players and has huge scope to improve further.   Gorman is seriously overworked covering for both BoDiddy and the equally poor defensive McDonald and again.  

23 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

The Airdrie highlights show you Gorman answer back.  

The Airdrie highlights show you better.   Gorman clearly tries to play the striker off but the useless galoot is on his own planet doing his own thing.    You can see Gorman giving it back to Rohan too and explaining what he tried to do.     TBH,  it's a bit like "lord of the flies" in there just now.     Yet again, it shows a lack of coaching,  co-ordinated approach and strategy.  

I don't agree with your reading of it but that's no big deal to me.   I would like to point out though that I never see anyone having a go at Boateng.   Ryan did a few games ago (Stenny) and it looked like BoDiddy was going to attack Ryan.   Is there a massive unapproachable bad attitude there?

Boateng is beyond help and clearly affecting results and performances of other.

I know you don't particularly like me but you're really misrepresenting me.  I have highlighted mistakes from both boys and others EVERY game but I clearly say that they're young and inexperienced players who have to learn from the rectifiable mistakes that I've pointed out repeatedly.  Unfortunately I don't see where the coaching is sufficiently good.   IMO McIntosh is quickly becoming one of our better players and has huge scope to improve further.   Gorman is seriously overworked covering for both BoDiddy and the equally poor defensive McDonald and again.  

Gorman just kind of vaguely waves his hands, it wasn't the response of someone who feels genuinely hard done by at getting a telling. Compare that reaction to his reaction at the second goal - which was Boateng's fault - and you'll see his genuine reaction when he knows Boateng is at fault - raging. The fact he just walks off with his head down at the first is pretty telling, he knows he was at fault. The fact that Ferguson's immediate reaction was to have a go at Gorman is also telling, he'd obviously seen something/s that he didn't like from him as the move unfolded.

And not at all, as I said you often make good points and are one of the few people on here interested in discussing games in more depth (even if I don't always agree, but that's football) which I like. But in this case I feel the gap in criticism you give Boateng compared to Gorman is too big. I don't agree I'm misrepresenting you at all, I never said you didn't highlight mistakes, my comment was clear that it was the way you respond to them I disagreed with. As I think you yourself pointed out recently in terms of games played experience they are virtually identical, so experience is irrelevant when comparing them. In terms of costing us goals there is no real difference. Even if you just look at the last 4 goals we have conceded Gorman has been completely responsible for one of them (the first against Rovers was as clueless as I've ever seen), and at best only partially responsible for 2 others. Boateng's 'hit rate' is about the same from those 4 goals (I'd say less, but either way there isn't much in it). So the only real difference is that Boateng is 2 years older. I don't think a 2 year age gap warrants one of them being called the various choice phrases you've used and demanding he leaves the club, whilst the other gets his mistakes treated with less importance because of experience (even though their experience is the same).

I would emphasise again the vast majority of your criticisms of Boateng I agree with, he isn't good enough, I'm in no way debating that. I just don't think Gorman is good enough either. With McIntosh there is definitely more leeway because he is already better than Boateng and Gorman and is 2 and a half years younger than Gorman. And he is visibly getting better. Gorman and Boateng are older and just as bad now as they were at the start of the season.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but for now we'll agree to disagree!

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Gorman just kind of vaguely waves his hands, it wasn't the response of someone who feels genuinely hard done by at getting a telling. Compare that reaction to his reaction at the second goal - which was Boateng's fault - and you'll see his genuine reaction when he knows Boateng is at fault - raging. The fact he just walks off with his head down at the first is pretty telling, he knows he was at fault. The fact that Ferguson's immediate reaction was to have a go at Gorman is also telling, he'd obviously seen something/s that he didn't like from him as the move unfolded.

And not at all, as I said you often make good points and are one of the few people on here interested in discussing games in more depth (even if I don't always agree, but that's football) which I like. But in this case I feel the gap in criticism you give Boateng compared to Gorman is too big. I don't agree I'm misrepresenting you at all, I never said you didn't highlight mistakes, my comment was clear that it was the way you respond to them I disagreed with. As I think you yourself pointed out recently in terms of games played experience they are virtually identical, so experience is irrelevant when comparing them. In terms of costing us goals there is no real difference. Even if you just look at the last 4 goals we have conceded Gorman has been completely responsible for one of them (the first against Rovers was as clueless as I've ever seen), and at best only partially responsible for 2 others. Boateng's 'hit rate' is about the same from those 4 goals (I'd say less, but either way there isn't much in it). So the only real difference is that Boateng is 2 years older. I don't think a 2 year age gap warrants one of them being called the various choice phrases you've used and demanding he leaves the club, whilst the other gets his mistakes treated with less importance because of experience (even though their experience is the same).

I would emphasise again the vast majority of your criticisms of Boateng I agree with, he isn't good enough, I'm in no way debating that. I just don't think Gorman is good enough either. With McIntosh there is definitely more leeway because he is already better than Boateng and Gorman and is 2 and a half years younger than Gorman. And he is visibly getting better. Gorman and Boateng are older and just as bad now as they were at the start of the season.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but for now we'll agree to disagree!

So, you dont rate Gorman?

On 9 January 2017 at 19:51, Diamonds are Forever said:

I don't think there is any debate that Boateng isn't good enough. And you often make some good points. The problem is that when McIntosh and Gorman make mistakes leading to goals you brush them off like they aren't important (see above, see last week), when Boateng makes equally important mistakes you absolutely slaughter him. I'm not picking on Gorman just for poor passing - although his distribution is undoubtedly terrible, I'm pointing out that he is equally as out his depth as Boateng is and if you were to go through the goals we've conceded this season you would see that.

I would say Gorman is on a par with Boatang if not worse.

Be interesting to see who's sold the most goals. I'd go Gorman

Just saw highlights, can I review the above post ?

anyone on here capable of making a gif out of Bo's mishit clearance around 45 Secs, that is a thing of beauty. Better than him tripping over the ball v rovers 

7 hours ago, Yoda8 said:

I would say Gorman is on a par with Boatang if not worse.

Be interesting to see who's sold the most goals. I'd go Gorman

You're pulling my chain innit?

I'm frustrated by Gorman at times and highlighted a few coachable things like his constant backing off and the stupid failure to use his right peg to make clearances but to put him on the same planet of badness at Boateng is madness.   

When I say frustrated by him I'm certain he's capable of improvement but also conscious he has had to try to carry 2 atroicious defensive liabilities too.    We should never have been set out with such an inexperienced back 5 but to then lump them with the bombscare is just lunacy.

We've got some bad players and some players who just aren't pulling their weight. Boateng is an absolute bombscare though. An absolutely terrible footballer who can't defend while also struggling to carry out such simple tasks as kicking and heading the ball sometimes. It's worse than playing with a man short as the others have to try and account for his deficiencies. How he is a full time professional footballer is beyond belief when he'd look out of place on a park on a Sunday morning playing in a pub league. 

just watching back on the goals there are so many cuprits;

First goal:

• McIntosh is short with a pass and squanders possession
  • Gorman and McDonald both try to play offside
  • Boateng isn't on the same page - was the trap uncoordinated or was Boateng liable?
  • Gorman is stood off the striker and then tries - yet again - to make the tackle with his left peg and fails - yet again.
  • Brown fails miserably to track the right back

Second goal:

• Boateng concedes a mindless free kick - yet again
  • Boateng falls asleep from his marking duties and "his man" scores - yet again.  

Conclusions:

• The whole team aren't doing the simple things well at all
  • Certain players are making the same mistakes repeatedly - Gorman's deficient right peg, Boateng's total and utter lack of anything positive,  Brown's lack of defensive responsibility
  • There is a clear lack of proper coaching and leadership and no apparent game plan

What can we do?  

We know the club don't have a fortune to spend on any more than 1 appropriate 1st team player or make any more coaching or managerial changes.

For me there has to be a fundamental review of each player's responsibilities on the pitch such as Brown tracking opposing full backs, our fullbacks tucking in, etc.  There needs to be a lot of work done with the defenders regarding their individual and collective techniques and strategies (ie, both centrehalves backing off in 2v1 situations, etc.).

Why does it seem to be so difficult?

6 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

just watching back on the goals there are so many cuprits;

First goal:

• McIntosh is short with a pass and squanders possession
  • Gorman and McDonald both try to play offside
  • Boateng isn't on the same page - was the trap uncoordinated or was Boateng liable?
  • Gorman is stood off the striker and then tries - yet again - to make the tackle with his left peg and fails - yet again.
  • Brown fails miserably to track the right back

but apart from all that, if your team had scored it wouldn't you be raving about what a well constructed and executed team goal it was, or is that standard of play the norm for this league?

Archived