Pc Upgrade

Since I've now got my new pc I'll switch this over to the right forum from the bargain basement!

Here's my problem, as some of you probably already know, thanks to MarreZ and his incredible bargain searching I purchased a new Dell pc and it arrived Monday and was put together last night. The full spec doesn't really matter and can be found in the bargain basement forum anyway. The fundamental problem I have is that I have something like a hundred excel and word files that need to come across from my old pc to the new one and additionally several hundred other files and old e-mails that I'd like to get across too although they wouldn't be the end of the world if they weren't transferred.

I had presumed that if the worst came to the worst I could transfer them all manually by floppy disk but I completely failed to realise the new pc has no floppy disk drive!

So the question is how do I get the files across?

I've tried the memory stick method but the old pc is on Windows 98 and apparently memory sticks, or at least the one I have, doesn't work with anything older than Windows 2000.

I have more than one e-mail address and have already transferred 20 or so of the most important files by e-mailing them to a separate address and will e-mail them back from work today and pick up at the new pc. I have successfully set up my e-mail account on the new pc. However, this is an extremely time consuming method, particularly when I'm not on broadband at home and it takes forever and a day to send and pick them up. I will go to broadband soon now I have the new pc but it's not there at the moment.

The old pc has a cd drive but not a writer so copying to cd and uploading that way won't work, or at least won't work directly. I do have a laptop which has both a floppy drive and a cd writer and could be used as a middle step I suppose but that's also a hell of a long winded way to deal with it.

At the moment I have both pc's set up and working side by side in the living room but I can tell you the wife won't tolerate that for long! I need to get this dealt with and get the new pc back upstairs in the computer cupboard and the old one consigned to storage / binned.

Advice please?

MarreZ has already suggested buying a floppy drive for the new pc and fitting it. Although that's above me technically I could probably find someone to do it. Even that though is still a laborious way of dealing with it.

Are there any memory sticks that will work with Windows 98? Is there any way of directly connecting the two pc's whilst they are side by side and simply copying files directly? Bearing in mind I'm a technophobe with no idea about computer hardware here! :unsure:

Any other suggestions?

There are definitely memory sticks that work with windoze 98, but I can't give you specific details as the one I acquired last week was a freebie from my dad's work. It's just a case of looking around, I guess.

Archived