Berwick Rangers 2017/18

4 minutes ago, A Believer said:

Now; I mean this with no offence intended, but can you not take in that views than yours may be valid Berwick the Omnipotent. Noting the supporting comment re Stirling.

You seem to agree that we're skint, and you're right, decent talent will move on. We're no' Real Madrid; like every club in Scotland; and almost all in England, were a selling club.

My original point was, we have never been able to attract players of a level we need to progress. Like never. So we need to change our long term strategy.

If that means nurturing talent, them moving on (for a fee) them fine, we then build capital to attract the players we all want.

'We've always wanted to pick up guys released by bigger clubs'; they don't want to come here, unless made worth their while. Players at our level are quite happy playing East of Scotland and junior, and not have to spend half their lives sitting on busses to Annan, Elgin and Peterheid. Berwick, right now, isn't a passport to a career trend improvement, so why would they?

This wasn't about Coff v Robbie as individuals, it's about the macro 'offer' Berwick each could make. I agree with all the points you make about Horn; beguiling though it is, and although I hope it makes a difference, I just can't see it.

Back to my original point, we have no cash or a more unique and attractive offer, so long term sustainable youth development is STILL the only viable option; unless your on good terms with a Russian oligarch looking for a pass-time.

A selling club isn't really true. Barely any clubs at this level 'sell'. If you look at the guys we have sold in recent years, Henderson, McNeil, Easton, they've generally been young guys brought in from elsewhere in any case. Even Paul Currie at about 28 was 5-6k to Hamilton, brought in from the lower leagues. Fees for guys like these, even where only 5k, are going to be different to guys like Watt, who we've probably took a few hundred quid for. Yet, the reality is that deals for all of those guys barely make a dent in an annual budget. As such, I don't think we ever need to sell anyone at any given point. A 5k fee for a player is the equivalent of a couple of extra fundraisers. 

My point is that we can't just magically launch an incredible, all-singing youth academy. I think you're incredibly naive in the hope that we could transition into one of the finest purveyors of young football in the country, and certainly not with the resources we do have. We've been shit for a decade, but I can say with a lot of confidence we wouldn't last long at this level if we were to go with your plan instead of signing the guys we have been. 

I never said it was about Horn v Coughlin. You asked if people had any ideas how it might be different, and I offered my thoughts. I agree with you that it's about the macro scenario and that's something that Horn stressed himself at his opening talk-in, ways to make the club more attractive to better players. He also noted the importance of the role the fans can play in making a club a more attractive proposition. I don't think many take that into consideration. 

I'm fairly sure about 10-12 SPFL sides don't even have a development team. If you genuinely think that a youth development system is the only way we can even exist going forward, then I'm clearly not going to change your mind, but I honestly think you're kidding yourself. No team has been relegated from the SPFL because of a poor youth set up. There's no shortage of good players out there at any given time and I don't agree with you that we've never been able to attract any. I think you're right that our reputation amongst players is low at the minute and personally feel it comes from a decade of ambitionless shite, which has led to the disillusionment of a huge percentage of the fanbase who in turn are often quick to get on the back of the team.

The key to turning thing around for me is not trying to reinvent the wheel, but to inflate the fucker again. Acknowledge there'll be setbacks but try get behind the players when you're at games. Don't go fucking mental because they dared misplace a pass, don't proclaim that a 3-0 away loss to the league leaders is a disgrace, don't expect miracles to happen overnight.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking your last point first, I couldn't agree more about how much fans of our club can influence players, their performance, and vital feel good factor that helps retain and attract players. Getting on players backs is completely counter-productive.

We certainly agree too that we both want progression, and it won't be solely through a youth programme. Equally, progression probably won't be solely through our past and current trend of player procurement.

Might a blend of the two work? Attracting good young first teamers to a club where youth is demonstrably nurtured; a young team with a sprinkling of good journeymen could be good. I was never advocating to only rely on youth, more to build it, make it more productive and hopefully raise the mean performance level to gradually progress.

True as well, we'll never make vast profits from selling players, however we'll make nothing if we don't try; in capital or maximising local talent.

Ok, I have a vested interest as my son is one of the 20's; but I also see the amazingly positive impact he, and the other lads involved in local youth coaching, have on younger kids; and promoting Berwick. A few go to matches now and will potentially filter into our player pipeline. None of that would happen without local talent. And it's clearly good enough looking at the improving trend where we're competing well with the likes of Livingston and Raith.

So maybe a blend; but neither would take us to the progression we want in isolation I feel.

What do you think about the proposal for a multi-purpose facility in Berwick for BRFC to use?

If the current development team never produces anyone good enough for the first team, perhaps we should replace it with one that trains and plays in Berwick. 

Would need to be in a senior league so there is still somewhere for first teamers to get a game after injury, and this would cement a few community links whilst accepting that many will never be good enough to get a sniff of the subs bench.  We could still source first teamers from the same places as now.

Probably something logistically disastrous about this so I will get my coat.

On 12/13/2017 at 18:02, Redcar said:

If the current development team never produces anyone good enough for the first team, perhaps we should replace it with one that trains and plays in Berwick. 

Would need to be in a senior league so there is still somewhere for first teamers to get a game after injury, and this would cement a few community links whilst accepting that many will never be good enough to get a sniff of the subs bench.  We could still source first teamers from the same places as now.

Probably something logistically disastrous about this so I will get my coat.

I think it should be a consideration that a development team is more than just producing players for the first team. Of course that is top priority, but as you say other aspects are important, community links, top of a route for local potential, a place for first team rehab or adding game minutes, playing trialists, surely with some more hard work it could be self financing and linking into community projects etc.

30 minutes ago, dreamteamer said:

Scullion left the club..............

Not remotely upset with that. Frees up a wage for January.

Scullion had a few decent games but lots of really shite displays too. If we had any strong centre-halves he wouldn't have played much. 

On 12 December 2017 at 09:23, A Believer said:

What do you think about the proposal for a multi-purpose facility in Berwick for BRFC to use?

Some individuals are of the opinion that we already play in a multi-purpose stadium.

A football team, a speedway team and a summer rock concert venue. None of which have been successful of late. 

Merry Christmas

31st May 2015 Chairman Brian Porteous signs off Company accounts showing a profit of £107,804

31st May 2016 Chairman Len Eyre signs off Company accounts showing a LOSS of £81,739

31st May 2017 Chairman Len Eyre signs off Company accounts showing a LOSS of £89,553

In total the current chairman has signed off losses of £171,292  

It's now 7 months since the last set of accounts were signed off and assuming nothing has changed to stop this rapid downward financial spiral it's fair to assume the Company has lost approximately another £40,000 or £50,000

This cannot be allowed to continue as the next knock on the door may well be the bailiffs. If it can happen to the Big Gers, it can happen to the Wee Gers.

We are expecting some "surprise" departures, but I didn't expect it would be him!

McKenna split the fans opinion for some time up to the start of this season. Some (including me) thought he was largely rubbish, a hot head (got more red cards than most of us could count last season) and generally a bit flashy, ineffective and better in his own imagination than on the pitch.   Others had him down as player of the season.

This season, I joined the latter camp. He has been an emergency front man since we realised that we forgot to sign any, and has worked his socks off. Scored some cracking goals too. 

If he goes to you, have you got any centre-halves to spare? (We have to play 3 at once to cover the gaps). Or attackers? (We still haven't got any).

We are expecting some "surprise" departures, but I didn't expect it would be him!
McKenna split the fans opinion for some time up to the start of this season. Some (including me) thought he was largely rubbish, a hot head (got more red cards than most of us could count last season) and generally a bit flashy, ineffective and better in his own imagination than on the pitch.   Others had him down as player of the season.
This season, I joined the latter camp. He has been an emergency front man since we realised that we forgot to sign any, and has worked his socks off. Scored some cracking goals too. 
If he goes to you, have you got any centre-halves to spare? (We have to play 3 at once to cover the gaps). Or attackers? (We still haven't got any).

We have hunners of midfield players funnily enough but only 3 centre halves and others that can fill in there which means that this comes as a surprise to me too.

I dunno what Campbell has planned for him, maybe he’s just seen that Stranraer and yourselves are maybe looking to free up some wages and he’s just edged in to pinch a couple of players he likes, we’ve supposedly signed Ryan Wallace from Stranraer too.

Happy New Year for when it comes to our English brethren.

Aff it tonight and just wondering what Michael McKenna is like, rumoured to be joining us.

I hope this is pish, but fear it's not. I wouldn't blame him mind, under-appreciated as one of 2 players too good for us (and you lot) and trying to play football on our shite pudding pitch every other week.
Still, handle with great care to maximise value...players that good play at our level for a reason.
All that said, if it's to be, I really hope it works out for you both. Footballs the winner.

I hope this is pish, but fear it's not. I wouldn't blame him mind, under-appreciated as one of 2 players too good for us (and you lot) and trying to play football on our shite pudding pitch every other week.
Still, handle with great care to maximise value...players that good play at our level for a reason.
All that said, if it's to be, I really hope it works out for you both. Footballs the winner.

If McKenna came to us he wouldn’t even be in our top 10 players tbf.

Could be pish though who knows.

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Can’t see it. He has his own business and that would be a big commute. 

Happy New Year for when it comes to our English brethren.

Aff it tonight and just wondering what Michael McKenna is like, rumoured to be joining us.

Mmm, you ask what he's like then state he wouldn't be in your top 10 players. 2018 kicking off with sound analysis and informed judgement my dear Lichtie. Here's a picture so at least you know what he looks like; celebrating his strike at Peterhead, hence the away strip. Happy New Year [emoji106]
c90203cb62596e435755cf5ae5751ae5.jpg

Mmm, you ask what he's like then state he wouldn't be in your top 10 players. 2018 kicking off with sound analysis and informed judgement my dear Lichtie. Here's a picture so at least you know what he looks like; celebrating his strike at Peterhead, hence the away strip. Happy New Year [emoji106]

c90203cb62596e435755cf5ae5751ae5.jpg

No Berwick player would be though that’s not anything against Berwick but we have some cracking players at the moment and I’ve seen you lads a lot, without really keeping a close eye on the guy McKenna.

I think a lot of our fans don’t know what to make of it from what I’ve heard but you’ve gave him a good write up and DC does have an eye for a player so IF (it is just a rumour at the moment) he does end up coming then everyone will definitely give him a chance.

Happy New Year to you guys too.

Archived