The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

23 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I know that’s true, but it doesn’t seem to do them much harm. Do you expect Killie to go bust next season because the overstretched their budget in an attempt to be ambitious. 
We’re like the boring sensible person that never takes any risks and as a result never is in any danger and never achieves anything of any note. 

Killie won’t go bust with two committed directors worth 100 million between them. 

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

History teaches us lessons and only fools make the same errors again. Being ambitious and overstretching ourselves is the strategy that took us to the brink of a Reg Brearley takeover. Without the intervention of SG and his backers our club would have gone to the wall years ago.

Boring and sensible. That's fine by me.

No it isn’t. Being irresponsible idiots beyond belief is what took us to that. 
Not throwing a bit more cash than your budget might allow. 
Don’t gild the lily. No one is suggesting we go back to those days. I’m just saying take a bit of a gamble ffs. We are so dull. 

It's February and we haven't been out the top 5 all season. Not sure why all the negativity about a transfer window where we haven't lost anyone we thought we might plus added a few. No one knows how close we were to VV, we might have been "used" to force the deal through or force up the terms. I for one was stunned we were even linked so not sure how serious it was. Cant honestly see too much this window to be despondent about. 

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

It's February and we haven't been out the top 5 all season. Not sure why all the negativity about a transfer window where we haven't lost anyone we thought we might plus added a few. No one knows how close we were to VV, we might have been "used" to force the deal through or force up the terms. I for one was stunned we were even linked so not sure how serious it was. Cant honestly see too much this window to be despondent about. 

I think it’s because our league position is 100% based on our start to the season. We’ve been largely shite for months and if you believe we can suddenly just return to the team from 4 months ago then fair play to you. I don’t see it. As things stand we’re only heading in one direction. 

4 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

Killie won’t go bust with two committed directors worth 100 million between them. 

100 m and growing. Our wage bill is around £45 000 per week for the squad, obviously this season is going well and season tickets are over 5000 with good sponsorship deals and record sales in the club shop. Why wouldn’t Bowie and McLeish take a punt this year?

56 minutes ago, Hendo said:

To be honest, its all relative.  Missing out on a striker, with the only possible consequence being finishing outwith the top 6 or not qualifying for europe, when 9 years ago we lost our best player and replaced him with Yoann feckin Arquin to ensure our relegation was a formality. 

Killie will just feck up Europe anyway and lose to some part time Welsh mob again anyway. Give me Albion Rovers away in the League Cup groups any day of the week.

Christian Bale Swag GIF

It would be churlish not to say KVV is, on paper, an outstanding signing for Kilmarnock given how he performed last season.

He'd have been a brilliant signing for us, and I'm gutted we didn't get him.

Sounds like our board have seen the opportunity to get what is after all a proven goalscorer at this level, and thought it was worth a punt to the end of the season, and the Killie board have thought the exact same. Clubs like Killie and St.Mirren don't get the chance to sign a guy who hit 20 goals in our division very often!

IF Killie get him going again then it nails their top six spot IMO, but by the same token there are no guarantees.

He's not played in a couple of months, and let's be fair he was a bit hit and miss before last season's purple patch.

Interesting to see how it pans out.

12 minutes ago, Fide said:

Christian Bale Swag GIF

Yeah to be fair I thought that post reeked of sour grapes too.

Personally I’m gutted you beat us to his signature. 
All that’s left for me now is to pray that he’s a spent force and you’ve wasted your cash 🤞🤞

But I doubt it. 

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

The system Robbo plays is not really suited to scoring a lot of goals unless Strain & Tanser are bang on it. 
Van Veen might have made a difference but we move on and see where we go with what we have.

I'm hopeful that we can squeeze something good out of Scott and that Kwon can help us carry more of a threat from the middle of the park.

Need to stay positive. We have not become a bad team overnight, just one of those runs which has been a mix of tough fixtures, poor performances and some hard luck stories.

I'm still confident we can finish strongly but I do concede that top six is looking a bit of an ask with Hibs, Dundee and Kilmarnock all looking like they had very good windows.

34 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

No it isn’t. Being irresponsible idiots beyond belief is what took us to that. 
Not throwing a bit more cash than your budget might allow. 
Don’t gild the lily. No one is suggesting we go back to those days. I’m just saying take a bit of a gamble ffs. We are so dull. 

We have taken significant gambles not so long ago. We bought “big” by taking on Brophy who never managed to score one goal in a Saints top in Paisley. We had some recent financial concerns which I’m sure were partly down to established signings we made from other clubs. 
Some of those were Scotland internationals including Brophy and Gallagher. Carson and big Joe didn’t come cheap either. Tanser came in on the back of a double cup win at St Johnstone. Gogic and O’Hara were not cheap either. By all accounts Burrows said St Mirren blew their offer out the water. Motherwell could not compete. 
We spent big in the summer on McMenamin - transfer fee and wages. 

KVV has hardly been prolific through his whole career. 
It may or may not work out for him and Killie but I won’t lose any sleep. 

Just now, Div said:

I'm hopeful that we can squeeze something good out of Scott and that Kwon can help us carry more of a threat from the middle of the park.

Need to stay positive. We have not become a bad team overnight, just one of those runs which has been a mix of tough fixtures, poor performances and some hard luck stories.

I'm still confident we can finish strongly but I do concede that top six is looking a bit of an ask with Hibs, Dundee and Kilmarnock all looking like they had very good windows.

Hmmm. I’d agree we haven’t become a bad team overnight. But we’ve become not a very good team over the last 4 months I’m afraid. 

What’s a little rich is some Kilmarnock fans tweeting about their superiority. I’m not sure they’re a better team but they do have momentum and confidence at present- the pitch undoubtedly helps them 

5 minutes ago, Div said:

I'm still confident we can finish strongly but I do concede that top six is looking a bit of an ask with Hibs, Dundee and Kilmarnock all looking like they had very good windows.I think the run since November is poor. I didn’t expect us to maintain the early season form but they have dropped off quite considerably. The goals scored in recent games is quite a worry and we have to admit the lack of a goal threat is killing us at present. If Scott is the answer I’ll e delighted and im sure it’ll be a tight race to see who makes the top six but I have a nagging doubt that we will score enough. 

Edited by Norrie82

6 minutes ago, Div said:

It would be churlish not to say KVV is, on paper, an outstanding signing for Kilmarnock given how he performed last season.

He'd have been a brilliant signing for us, and I'm gutted we didn't get him.

Sounds like our board have seen the opportunity to get what is after all a proven goalscorer at this level, and thought it was worth a punt to the end of the season, and the Killie board have thought the exact same. Clubs like Killie and St.Mirren don't get the chance to sign a guy who hit 20 goals in our division very often!

IF Killie get him going again then it nails their top six spot IMO, but by the same token there are no guarantees.

He's not played in a couple of months, and let's be fair he was a bit hit and miss before last season's purple patch.

Interesting to see how it pans out.

How many seasons has he scored 20 league goals as a pro? Once I believe. 

I think we may have dodged a bullet. 

Paisley has been a strikers graveyard many times.

3 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

What’s a little rich is some Kilmarnock fans tweeting about their superiority. I’m not sure they’re a better team 

Oh, we objectively are. HTH. 

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

We have taken significant gambles not so long ago. We bought “big” by taking on Brophy who never managed to score one goal in a Saints top in Paisley. We had some recent financial concerns which I’m sure were partly down to established signings we made from other clubs. 
Some of those were Scotland internationals including Brophy and Gallagher. Carson and big Joe didn’t come cheap either. Tanser came in on the back of a double cup win at St Johnstone. Gogic and O’Hara were not cheap either. By all accounts Burrows said St Mirren blew their offer out the water. Motherwell could not compete. 
We spent big in the summer on McMenamin - transfer fee and wages. 

KVV has hardly been prolific through his whole career. 
It may or may not work out for him and Killie but I won’t lose any sleep. 

Yeah but haven’t you just kinda proved my point? We pushed the boat out for Brophy and it didn’t do us any harm. The fact that he didn’t work out is neither here nor there. Should we never push the boat out for a player again because Brophy didn’t work?

Also, all we did with Brophy was outbid a couple of clubs who clearly didn’t see him as a first team regular whereas we did. 

Think top 6 will end up being out of reach. KVV may or may not have made a difference. Would be interesting to know what swayed it. Killie are top heavy with strikers. 

We have plenty target type of striker. I still think we need a poacher or penalty box player.