The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, Ric said:

That is a shockingly bad decision, monumentally poor.

I would much rather he wasn't going to another club in the league but we are getting over £100k for a 35 year old who doesn't want to play for us and shedding a hefty wage into the bargain.

The alternative is to risk him sitting on his contract for next two years and costing us money hand over fist.

It's not a bad outcome as @Captain Saintsible had alluded to, we only hold the cards for so long before youre into mutual termination territory and weve avoided that plus made money on him.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I would much rather he wasn't going to another club in the league but we are getting over £100k for a 35 year old who doesn't want to play for us and shedding a hefty wage into the bargain.

The alternative is to risk him sitting on his contract for next two years and costing us money hand over fist.

It's not a bad outcome as @Captain Saintsible had alluded to, we only hold the cards for so long before youre into mutual termination territory and weve avoided that plus made money on him.

We have sold one of the best keepers in the league last season and replaced him with a one of the worst keepers in the league last season.

There is simply no positive way to spin this. None at all.

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

That is a shockingly bad decision, monumentally poor.

I cannot believe our management/board are genuinely that stupid.

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

We have sold one of the best keepers in the league last season and replaced him with a one of the worst keepers in the league last season.

The player is 35, wants out, and he will be on a fairly hefty wage.

Dundee have offered 6 figures, which is obviously the highest offer we've had.

Are you suggesting we should turn down 6 figures to keep a player who doesn't want to be here? Because that, to me, would be a shockingly bad decision and  monumentally poor.

We're losing a cracking keeper, I admit that, but for that sort of transfer fee for a player his age and for a guy who we signed for nothing a year ago is simply an offer we can't turn down given the circumstances. We're in no position to knock that offer back.

If we don't now go and sign a proper number 1, then yes, that would be very stupid. I suspect we will bring in one more keeper now.

EDIT - I just had a flashback, and I think I may actually be wrong about him arriving for nothing.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

Just now, Ric said:

Yer arse! He does not want to be a St. Mirren player. He does not want to be a St. Mirren player because if rumours are true he's a fucking massive man child.

We had no other option but to allow him to leave. We set a price and another club met it.

I'll be interested to see how that money is put to use as I really can't see us going with Urminsky as number two in the season ahead so expect a replacement of some sort to be sourced by the end of the window, particularly as we will now have funds to do so and couldn't move on until Carson was gone.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Yer arse! He does not want to be a St. Mirren player. He does not want to be a St. Mirren player because if rumours are true he's a fucking massive man child.

You seem to be missing the most salient point here, he is going to our rivals. If Carson doesn't want to be at St Mirren fine, he can go, but the red line is you don't sell your best players to the opposition.

If you combine it with the instalment of Hemming as #1, and to be fair Carson going and Hemming being given the #1 are not mutually exclusive, but if you do combine the two issues, we are effectively shooting ourselves in the foot before a ball is kicked.

There is no a single positive here, unless that money is placed into the goalkeeping position, but we know it won't be.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

You seem to be missing the most salient point here, he is going to our rivals. If Carson doesn't want to be at St Mirren fine, he can go, but the red line is you don't sell your best players to the opposition.

If you combine it with the instalment of Hemming as #1, and to be fair Carson going and Hemming being given the #1 are not mutually exclusive, but if you do combine the two issues, we are effectively shooting ourselves in the foot before a ball is kicked.

There is no a single positive here, unless that money is placed into the goalkeeping position, but we know it won't be.

There's 4 weeks of the transfer window remaining.

Calm down.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I get that but let’s remember how good he was for us and the points he undoubtedly won is last season. It’s not easy to replace this and we certainly are weaker in this area now 

1 minute ago, Ric said:

He’s going to Dundee. He’ll be a championship player this time next year. 

6 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Are you suggesting we should turn down 6 figures to keep a player who doesn't want to be here? Because that, to me, would be a shockingly bad decision and  monumentally poor.

Your argument makes no reference at all of the destination club, something we do have control over. Your post suggests that this was the only option available.

I would take the six figure fee for Carson with a caveat; although Scott Burns is usually pretty reliable, within that same article he claims Saints sold Gallagher to DU for a six figure fee which is absolute nonsense.

ETA...

Screenshot_20230802_101026_Adblock Browser.jpg

Edited by Arch Stanton

Just now, buddie06smfc said:

He’s going to Dundee. He’ll be a championship player this time next year. 

With Shaughnessy and Carson in defence? I think those two signings alone will keep them safe from the dross like St Johnstone.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

Do we?!

How do we know that? Robinson on record as saying Hemming is the number one for now...there was nothing final or set in stone when he said it.

Put it this way, I'd be astounded if there wasn't another goalkeeper at the club by the end of the window for the following reasons:

Hemming is here for a season. That's it. He has a loan deal and 2 further years to go back to with Boro. Theres pretty much no prospect of him staying. If he's good for us Boro keep him and we cant afford...if he's shite we don't want him.

Urminsky is 24, not filling anyone with confidence apparently and is out of contract at end of the season.

There's absolutely no chance of Robinson not planning ahead and bringing is soneone who will challenge for the starting slot or will take over the starting slot next season once Carson is gone. To leave that until January or the summer would be idiotic.