Girth

I've been to France three times in the last few months - Paris, Bordeaux and Rennes. and really enjoyed the weather, the people and the food. 

I'm looking to go again soon - any city recommendations please? 

Nice itself is good for a seaside place but a biggish city too.

Perpignan, Poitiers. Aix .Foix.

As BR says rural France also has many attractions and quaint discoveries to be made. i.e.. Auvergne or Brittany

Wasn't impressed by Nice the city, the sea is a stunning colour there though but aside from that it was like being in a hotter version of Greenock.

Enjoyed Marseille far more.

Such a massive varied country.

In the North....I like Arras. Beautiful old town, plenty of good bars and restaurants. For history buffs its also surrounded by ww1 battlefields. It has a big Scots connection as 3 assaulting divisions on the 1st day of the battle of Arras were Scottish ( 45,000 Scotsmen) and they launched their attacks from the outskirts of the town. 

The South of France is so different in climate and terrain. Recommend Carcassonne and the minervois area. Again plenty to see and do in the city and lovely countryside nearbye.

I'm currently in France with my Dad, we are trying to retrace my Grandad's path from when he was here during the war. He was an Ambulance driver/mechanic and had landed in Normandy a few weeks after D-Day. Spent yesterday north of Caen after driving down from Paris, first went to Juno Beach and then poking around the back roads looking for a few places on the map. Found a small village north of Caen where my Grandad would have been camped in 1944, I'm pretty sure we saw the exact field. Today putzed around south of Caen to Falaise, which is a really pretty town. If you are this way I would suggest staying at a really nice B & B called la vielle ferme just a few miles south of Falaise. Normandy is a great part of the world to drive around and explore by car. Off tomorrow towards Rouen and then later on Areas before heading to Belgium and the Netherlands

Montpellier is class. I go out every year to visit a mate. Try time it so you're there on something called music day that they have. Entire city goes into lock down and there's bands on every corner, with folk getting smashed all day and night until the wee hours. I can't describe it well enough to do it justice, it's incredible.

Edited by Big Fifer

Just had a week in Southern France with my wife and 6 friends and I must say it was a lovely trip with the southern of France being absolutely beautiful.

We stayed in a villa in Miramas (new) about a 45 minute drive from Marseille airport. Was a decent place but loved the old town much more, more beautiful with a lot more restaurants, cafes and bars.

Hired 2 cars for the week and from 8/9 in the morning to about 10/11 at night we was out site seeing and just visiting loads of beautiful villages, towns and cities close to Miramas as we could. 

Places we went too was Nice, Marseille, Nimes, Avignon, Montpellier, Roussillion and Saintes-Marie's-de-la-mer plus a few other places which I can't remember the names of. 

Almost everyday we would set out to visit couple of places to visit that day but would always find ourselves visiting another place because it looked wonderful passing by and we just needed to park the car and have a look round the place. 

Avignon was my favourite place which we found by mistake as we was meant to be heading to Roussillion but there's are a few places called that and I put the wrong one in in the sat nav but everyone said they was glad I had made the error because it was a wonderful few hours spent there.

If you ever get the chance to go Southern France take it because you won't be dissappointed with what that part of France has to offer. 

Montpellier is class. I go out every year to visit a mate. Try time it so you're there on something called music day that they have. Entire city goes into lock down and there's bands on every corner, with folk getting smashed all day and night until the wee hours. I can't describe it well enough to do it justice, it's incredible.

Love the place too but never been on that day. Have played in that place with the car hanging out the wall though!
Went to watch MHSC tan Lyon 5-1 as well that was barry.

On 3 June 2017 at 15:37, git-intae-thum said:

Such a massive varied country.

In the North....I like Arras. Beautiful old town, plenty of good bars and restaurants. For history buffs its also surrounded by ww1 battlefields. It has a big Scots connection as 3 assaulting divisions on the 1st day of the battle of Arras were Scottish ( 45,000 Scotsmen) and they launched their attacks from the outskirts of the town. 

The South of France is so different in climate and terrain. Recommend Carcassonne and the minervois area. Again plenty to see and do in the city and lovely countryside nearbye.

Largely based on this post, I am presently in Arras! Was going to be over here anyway, so sought out this charming town.

• 5 years later...