• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• TheScarf

• RiG

• PB1994

3 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Who’s talking about just todays game? Our central defenders have been at fault for a lot of the goals we have conceded in the 5 games we have played this season.

I am but I'm trying not to over dramatise 

1 minute ago, Central Belt Caley said:

If you can point out where I said they were that would be great, thanks. 

I didn't.

We're a club that declared 2,000 spectators today. If prominent contributors to the debate attended, it would've been more.

We're a work in progress as Billy Dodds suggested.

The problem is the entire defence has mistakes in them, every single player. I would suggest Queens Parks defence was stinky last season but they had so much going forward they were often protected and not exposed.

I’m not saying don’t sign a defender but we need to look at who’s in front and inviting issues onto the defence too. One defender might not be the silver bullet we’re hoping for. 

Hypothetically, if we added Welsh and McAlear for their ball retention and Logan Chalmers on the right that defence wouldn’t be anywhere near as exposed. A winger sorts this defensive catastrophe.

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, NorthStand10 said:

The problem is the entire defence has mistakes in them, every single player. I would suggest Queens Parks defence was stinky last season but they had so much going forward they were often protected and not exposed.

I’m not saying don’t sign a defender but we need to look at who’s in front and inviting issues onto the defence too. One defender might not be the silver bullet we’re hoping for. 

Hypothetically, if we added Welsh and McAlear for their ball retention and Logan Chalmers on the right that defence wouldn’t be anywhere near as exposed. A winger sorts this defensive catastrophe.

You’re absolutely right. We’ve not just lost Deas, who was the best defender in the championship for the last 2 or 3 years, we’ve also lost Allardice who was fucking brilliant at doing that job in midfield. Welsh missing these last few games also hasn’t helped.

We clearly don’t have the cash to be replacing them like for like, or even to be replacing them with the sort of players Deas and Allardice were when they first joined. Which to be honest I don’t particularly have a problem with but when Gardiner is coming out in statements saying our goal is still promotion then you really need to be replacing them with good/quality players which we just haven’t done, yet.

Maybe we will pull off 3 or 4 great signings in the last month of the window but I don’t really see it happening. 

As I kind of mentioned above, if we don’t have the cash to be attracting those sort of players I’m okay with jobbing about mid table, hopefully steering well clear of relegation and maybe sneaking into the last playoff spot but if that is the case don’t be releasing statements talking about how our goals are to end up this season with promotion to the premiership. Obviously that is what everyone wants but it’s fine to come out and say we don’t have the finances to bring the players in to do it.

The way we have done it just brings even more pressure onto the manager, which is the last thing he needed anyway, as plenty folk such as myself didn’t want him here this season anyway.

46 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That’s us lost 6 of our last 7 competitive games (Ayr, Celtic, Dumbarton, Airdrie, Dundee, QP).

And it always astounds me that a few will still patheticlly attempt to defend the indefensible.

To sign two players from a relegated club and a player who has only known part time football and announce a push for promotion sums up the indefensible.

Why do people always seem to go on as though signing players from relegated clubs is a bad thing?

You can have good players in a team that gets relegated. I’m not saying Gilmour and Longstaff are good btw, jury very much still out on that, but the idea that because they got relegated last season = bad signing is fucking stupid.

3 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Why do people always seem to go on as though signing players from relegated clubs is a bad thing?

You can have good players in a team that gets relegated. I’m not saying Gilmour and Longstaff are good btw, jury very much still out on that, but the idea that because they got relegated last season = bad signing is fucking stupid.

Totally agree. Using us as an example, Ian Black got snapped up by Hearts (might’ve been a pre-contract but point stands) the season we got relegated. Can’t remember if we had anyone decent leave from the 16/17 relegation squad, been trying my best to forgot about them. 

One player doesn’t make a team. 

4 hours ago, PB1994 said:

You've absolutely missed the point I was making.

The gist of my post is If as we're told we are pushing for promotion why are we trawling the lower leaguer looking for and signing frees.

Realistically an ambitious club with an eye on promotion would be looking at making good signings, post after post I see complaints that we need more players in, and another few posts are bemoaning the fact that we haven't replaced Deas, it goes on and on.

No doubt you'll reply with the short of money scenario.

Well what happened to the Scottish Cup money??

That must have run to a good few hundred thousands of pounds, where the hell has that gone?

On 28/02/2023 at 21:49, Highland Capital said:

We were recommended last year to go into administration. 

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Well what happened to the Scottish Cup money??

That must have run to a good few hundred thousands of pounds, where the hell has that gone?

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

Guess the SC cash went to extend Robbo's contract to do whatever it is he does. 

Don't worry, once the players have embraced the complexities of Doddsball all will be well. 

Oh and the injuries, once they're back it'll be all be good etc etc. 

11 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Yeah, what an error Tottenham have made signing James Maddison from Leicester.

Absolutely incredible defending for the 2 Queens Park goals on Saturday.  And by incredible,  I mean fucking dogshit.  If Gardiner and Dodds think we're getting promoted at the end of the season they're in cloud cuckoo land.