Queen's Park 2017/18

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 03/02/2018 at 22:07, therealhoops said:

Hopefully Daniel Nimmo can step up to the mark when he gets his chance at the back. Looking at his physique he doesn't come across as the type of guy who'll get bullied too often, but at 21 he is another youngster so time will tell. 

Certainly deserves a chance, but Stenny U-20, Stenny reserves, Campbellsville and Ocean City isn't the sort of pedigree that inspires confidence that's ready to step straight up to this level, when what we need right now is an experienced "final season" campaigner (like Andy Millen was) to steady the ship, as we are virtually giving away "a schoolboy error" goal every game now.

Very difficult to pick up experienced campaigners, particularly in January. If we’re being entirely honest, we’re not good enough in any area of the park and that’s why we’re probably going down. We can’t defend, our top scorer is a centre half, and we lack the tenacity in midfield that the likes of Berry and McKernon gave us.

It’s symptomatic of what happens when Queen’s Park have a good few seasons. Players drift off for a few quid and you have to find the quality to replace them. Manageable in League Two. A massive uphill task in League One.

The players are giving everything and it must be fairly soul destroying for them at times as well. Hopefully we can hang on in there and find something to get us out of it, but I’m afraid hoping is all we’ve got.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Very difficult to pick up experienced campaigners, particularly in January. If we’re being entirely honest, we’re not good enough in any area of the park and that’s why we’re probably going down. We can’t defend, our top scorer is a centre half, and we lack the tenacity in midfield that the likes of Berry and McKernon gave us.

It’s symptomatic of what happens when Queen’s Park have a good few seasons. Players drift off for a few quid and you have to find the quality to replace them. Manageable in League Two. A massive uphill task in League One.

The players are giving everything and it must be fairly soul destroying for them at times as well. Hopefully we can hang on in there and find something to get us out of it, but I’m afraid hoping is all we’ve got.

Yes I think this is very much the case but we're not yet cut adrift. Very much still in a dogfight with a few other teams that are as inconsistent as we are. Sheer effort and organisation will make the difference in league positions of the bottom three come May, and I think that's looking healthy despite our shortcomings.

I haven't enjoyed this season much at all, but I'd rather hang on by our fingertips to play in League 1 as long as we can than drop.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Agree with all of that, but I'd love to see the "free agents" list just to see if there's someone on it who is in the twighlight of their career but still thinks they've got another season left in their legs, and who would basically play for anyone now just to keep himself in the shop window for the next three months. Maybe/Probably there's no messiah on it, but if not already done then surely worth scrutiny just in case.

4 hours ago, The Spider said:

and this is on the Queen's Park 2017/18 thread instead of the Scottish Football forum because........................................?

If the SPFL become the grand masters, just as they did in the last merger when the SPL and SFL became one, the issue of our home would be up in the air again. The Hampden or Murrayfiled scenario was probably the last option the SPFL would have wanted. I think Regan's departure might be more relevant to QP than it first seemed, but in a bad way. That's why it's on this topic.

Like Velvet Donkey I'll be very concerned if we drop this year. It's happened on our last 3 sorties up a league so history is against us. As are our current performances. I've no concern at all about playing in League 2 per se, but it sometimes happens that when teams hit a slide it can be a very long one as Cowdenbeath (and your favourite other team) found out. If Gus leaves, we struggle to find a new coach and group of players that can win games and we hit rock bottom next year that would be enough for the SPFL to drive the campaign to abandon Hampden.

Gosh, that's taking pessimism to a new level. You now potentially envisage a scenario whereby within the next 15 months we are in the Lowland League, looking for a new ground, and possibly a replacement for Gus's successor.

If you don't mind I'll concentrate on the here and now, and share Velvet Donkey's optimism that we can upset the odds and finish above Forfar (and possibly even Albion Rovers), and maintain our L1 status for a third year. Defeatist attitudes will only make us the architects of our own demise.

1 hour ago, The Spider said:

Gosh, that's taking pessimism to a new level. You now potentially envisage a scenario whereby within the next 15 months we are in the Lowland League, looking for a new ground, and possibly a replacement for Gus's successor.

If you don't mind I'll concentrate on the here and now, and share Velvet Donkey's optimism that we can upset the odds and finish above Forfar (and possibly even Albion Rovers), and maintain our L1 status for a third year. Defeatist attitudes will only make us the architects of our own demise.

Not pessimism. Realism. 

Gus on Radio Scotland speaking on the issue of mental health around the tragic case of Chris Mitchell. Sounds like David Galt told him about a course for people within football to learn more about this issue. I think he knew about it through Thistle. Good to hear that it's something that our club and many others are taking seriously. I assume it'll be on the Sportsound podcast later on.

Well some good news from the development game last night. Firstly they won 2-1 to go second in the league. Cammy Foy played 45 minutes in his comeback from injury, alongside the new centre half Daniel Nimmo who played 60 minutes. Two big units of players both done well against lively forward line. Unfortunately Anton Brady went of injured by the looks if things going over on his ankle. Hopefully hell be okay was not limping to badly at end if the game. A free kick put into the box and put into the bet by Fly and a nice chipped goal by Queens number 8 sorry don't know his name had us in easy street until rovers scored with a couple of minutes to go. Anyone else go the game last night? 

5 hours ago, spider1867 said:

Well some good news from the development game last night. Firstly they won 2-1 to go second in the league. Cammy Foy played 45 minutes in his comeback from injury, alongside the new centre half Daniel Nimmo who played 60 minutes. Two big units of players both done well against lively forward line. Unfortunately Anton Brady went of injured by the looks if things going over on his ankle. Hopefully hell be okay was not limping to badly at end if the game. A free kick put into the box and put into the bet by Fly and a nice chipped goal by Queens number 8 sorry don't know his name had us in easy street until rovers scored with a couple of minutes to go. Anyone else go the game last night? 

Yes, I went. Seen quite a lot of the 20's over the last few seasons, that was Calvin McCory no 8 who scored that peach. In a good team performance thought Calvin and no3 Ali Miller (who was really good going forward) were outstanding and must have impressed the watching Gus? They have been around for a while now and really should have been given a chance before now but unfortunately I don't think now is the time. Mind you they certainly couldn't do any worse than others! That's the 20's in second place behind Airdrie.

Yes i thought the boy Calvin  was very good with the ball, for the goal did have not much time to think about it and lovely chip over a tall keeper. Thought he did not waste to many balls kept it tidy all the time and some good delivery.  Miller was good on the ball but wasted a lot for me, just trying a bit too much, he has played for us at the start of the season, wonder why he was not kept involved. All the rest of the 20s were very young. You wonder why these guys have never had a chance. Who was the number 7 in midfield he looked older. To be honest thought the boys mentioned  were the best players on the night maybe they will get a chance. Doubt it though. 

So are we on the road to recovery. To me it looks like Gus went back to his tried and trusted. Solid defence solid midfield and not to much flair allowing Keena, Docherty and Galt the chance to shine which Keena has grabbed. Galt is essential to everything we do.  Good to see Docherty getting a game instead of Leitch or Donnelly he works a lot harder than them. No surprise for me that we were a lot better defensively without fotheringham. Big Nimmo with a good start. Can we build on it!! 

I wouldn’t get too carried away. We were always going to win a few games, but I’m not sure that we’re just going to suddenly stop conceding awful goals on a regular basis. Hopefully Nimmo coming in will shore us up a wee bit.

Airdrie away on Saturday. I suppose we have to break our horrendous run there at some point. We just don’t seem to play well there, regardless of form. Huge if we could pick something up from that because there are realistic points available for us in the following five games. If we have turned a corner, we’ve timed our run perfectly. However, one game at a time and all that.

5 hours ago, spider1867 said:

So are we on the road to recovery. To me it looks like Gus went back to his tried and trusted. Solid defence solid midfield and not to much flair allowing Keena, Docherty and Galt the chance to shine which Keena has grabbed. Galt is essential to everything we do.  Good to see Docherty getting a game instead of Leitch or Donnelly he works a lot harder than them. No surprise for me that we were a lot better defensively without fotheringham. Big Nimmo with a good start. Can we build on it!! 

We've been on the road to recovery since August. Your right about Gus but to be fair it's the first time I've seen us with  a double-act in central defence and a decent striker. I think he genuinely was pushing for the play-offs last season but the goals-for tally let him down and he's tried to correct that this year. Unfortunately, we're only allowed 11 on the park so the compromise on defence (from 5 to 4) wasn't offset by an improvement up front despite the best efforts of those involved. It started as a 5-3-2 on Saturday but Burns was much higher than Millen, due to Millen not having a Galt, and Gibby was more than comfortable in the LB position. I'm a big fan of Docherty too, clever and silky but could badly do with 20 pounds on him. Can't overlook McVey either; been a real revelation in his holding role. I'm also a Fotheringham fan but surely Saturday's performance warrants the same staring X1.

It's the nature of this league that any team who has a bit of consistency will sit up the table. We've matched Airdrie well in our 3 games so far and we've every chance on Saturday. Their barrage of January signings isn't clicking yet and with a grumpy home support they've everything to lose . Looking forward to it.

4 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

We've been on the road to recovery since August. Your right about Gus but to be fair it's the first time I've seen us with  a double-act in central defence and a decent striker. I think he genuinely was pushing for the play-offs last season but the goals-for tally let him down and he's tried to correct that this year. Unfortunately, we're only allowed 11 on the park so the compromise on defence (from 5 to 4) wasn't offset by an improvement up front despite the best efforts of those involved. It started as a 5-3-2 on Saturday but Burns was much higher than Millen, due to Millen not having a Galt, and Gibby was more than comfortable in the LB position. I'm a big fan of Docherty too, clever and silky but could badly do with 20 pounds on him. Can't overlook McVey either; been a real revelation in his holding role. I'm also a Fotheringham fan but surely Saturday's performance warrants the same staring X1.

It's the nature of this league that any team who has a bit of consistency will sit up the table. We've matched Airdrie well in our 3 games so far and we've every chance on Saturday. Their barrage of January signings isn't clicking yet and with a grumpy home support they've everything to lose . Looking forward to it.

I think we have only played twice this season and certainly both games were close as indeed they were last season when you absolutely deserved to compete for the play offs.  Our road to recovery did begin when the off field turbulations eased off. Given that Carrick has scored in 3 out of four games, his partnership with Duffy  looks promising.  After our gubbings at Methil and Gayfield our defence has certainly improved. The grumpy home support will always be there because that is football and I suspect you may well experience it at Hampden as well. The departure of our previous Board members has allowed a sense of optimism but as always in this game, we are only a match away from disaster in the eyes of people more grumpy than me. Looking forward to a good game.

Archived