Chieck Tiote dead

port-ton

2 hours ago, dogmc said:

Not claiming it's a factor in this instance but I've often wondered if the use of peds is a factor. Pretty sure there will be organised use of peds at an elite level and many players might well take silly risks given the potential rewards.

I've been wondering the same, having read a little about the sometimes devastating effects that some PEDs have had on top athletes in the past.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not claiming it's a factor in this instance but I've often wondered if the use of peds is a factor. Pretty sure there will be organised use of peds at an elite level and many players might well take silly risks given the potential rewards.

There has to be something in it mate as 30 year olds aren't meant to drop and elite level athletes. More money has to be spent looking for the factors that cause these problems, they will all undergo an ECG when they sit medicals.

There has to be something in it mate as 30 year olds aren't meant to drop and elite level athletes. More money has to be spent looking for the factors that cause these problems, they will all undergo an ECG when they sit medicals.

Yep i think there must be some consequences to peds. Because they are so illicit there cant be full testing done to know what side effects they have both short n long term. It must however be big business. Pretty tawdry way to treat people when you think about it.

Yep i think there must be some consequences to peds. Because they are so illicit there cant be full testing done to know what side effects they have both short n long term. It must however be big business. Pretty tawdry way to treat people when you think about it.

Yup totally agree, how something can be sanctioned knowing the risks they pose it's shocking I don't know what ones are banned and what ones can be used. I know it is up to the governing bodies of that specific sport but need to be looked at closer. I done my dissertation on energy drinks when I was at uni and I've never touched one since.

Yup totally agree, how something can be sanctioned knowing the risks they pose it's shocking I don't know what ones are banned and what ones can be used. I know it is up to the governing bodies of that specific sport but need to be looked at closer. I done my dissertation on energy drinks when I was at uni and I've never touched one since.

Even the ones that arent banned must have some health consequences

I suppose the only small consolation is it only seems to be the average players who suffer this fate so young. 

Would be utterly heartbroken if we lost someone akin to Messi, Ronaldo or Carrick tbh. 

51 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

I suppose the only small consolation is it only seems to be the average players who suffer this fate so young. 

Would be utterly heartbroken if we lost someone akin to Messi, Ronaldo or Carrick tbh. 

The top players/clubs probably have the top doctors administering their PEDs to minimise the risk of something like this happening.

The top players/clubs probably have the top doctors administering their PEDs to minimise the risk of something like this happening.

Not sure an organisation / Dr that administers peds is prioritising player safety.....

7 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Not sure an organisation / Dr that administers peds is prioritising player safety.....

Not in the long term, no. But for short term gain, I imagine they'd want the best medical expert they can get. Clubs/players lower down the food chain might be more at risk due to medical incompetence.

Not in the long term, no. But for short term gain, I imagine they'd want the best medical expert they can get. Clubs/players lower down the food chain might be more at risk due to medical incompetence.

The best medical experts wouldn't go near administering peds. Risk of being struck off would be enormous. I do take your point that they will get the best they can but we are barely into first or second generation of this. No one knows effects on those taking peds or even their children.

Fair enough, I should have said "the best medical expert willing to involve him/herself in such a scheme". And I agree, probably not enough is known about the long-term effects on athletes' bodies/minds/offspring, but I suspect those making money out of them don't care beyond getting a short term performance boost out of them.

Fair enough, I should have said "the best medical expert willing to involve him/herself in such a scheme". And I agree, probably not enough is known about the long-term effects on athletes' bodies/minds/offspring, but I suspect those making money out of them don't care beyond getting a short term performance boost out of them.

Agree completely.

Given the apparent amounts of PEDs in sports such as cycling and running at amateur level, then I would be really shocked if professional football wasn't involved with them quite heavily at some level. Indeed the association between the Spanish clubs and Fuentes suggests there is.

Still we don't know that its had anything to do with this so its a shame to surmise it. Poor guy.

Archived