Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Isa, what exactly is culturally different from junior leagues and lowland leagues? And what is 'junior identity' you keep banging on about it but yet to explain what it is exactly?

It’s a recurring comment that runs through all of his/her posts so surely she will be able to explain it.

The junior culture/identity, what is it exactly?

If I don’t get a big Trainspotting style rant in response I’ll be gutted

Choose the juniors, choose....

20 minutes ago, Ross. said:

In darkest Ayrshire there is a good chance that your future girlfriend grew up in the family farm. In darkest Morayshire, there is a good chance that your future girlfriend grew up on the family farm.

Obvious joke is obvious.

:lol:   you upset Glenafton..........

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

Not convinced that being allowed to take a bottle of Thunderbird into the ground counts as 'Junior cultural heritage' tbh. 

What about 6 bottles of Deuchars IPA?

18 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

Isa, what exactly is culturally different from junior leagues and lowland leagues? And what is 'junior identity' you keep banging on about it but yet to explain what it is exactly?

It's just phrases he's heard in the press before that he likes the sound of but has no actual description for what he really means. See also those who talk about football grounds having "soul", they don't have a fucking clue what that means but they've heard folk say it before and it sounds nice.

It's just phrases he's heard in the press before that he likes the sound of but has no actual description for what he really means. See also those who talk about football grounds having "soul", they don't have a fucking clue what that means but they've heard folk say it before and it sounds nice.

Well I agree that grounds can have character and soul and I’m pretty sure I know what I mean by that so maybe Isa does have a point.

I read it. I'm not even sure what the guys point was. He starts off by saying the Juniors are great because the matches have wild challenges, red cards and funny moments such as people telling the crowd to f**k off. He then goes on to say the Scottish national team is a joke because our coaches don't concentrate on technique and focus on the rough side of the game. Then has a stab at the SFA for "just letting the juniors in" as if that's the proposed solution to helping Scotland qualify for a major tournament. A truly awful piece of writing.

A shame - because generally his articles are pretty good.

He’s clearly tried to give an opinion on a topical issue in Scottish football, that he doesn’t really have much / or an outdated knowledge of.

1 hour ago, Jason King said:

My favourite part from that article,

The men who traditionally run Scottish football are drawn from a cadre of small businessmen who operate in a world where the politics of the masonic hall and golf club still hold sway.

You'd think that the Seniors being run by the politics of the masonic hall would have had the Ayrshire teams falling over themselves to join. 

Even the top clubs in clubs in Scotland don't know who's playing who in three weeks.

It's a conspiracy.

29 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

^^ nervously buttressing a defence of his side's one-stand MFI-flatpack stadium

I don't need to defend our ground (nervous about what exactly?) It's perfect for us and in the perfect location. People complain that it's "soulless" but what they actually mean is it lacks atmosphere or the design of the stadium isn't to their fancy. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with people spouting out terms that mean absolutely nothing.

26 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’ve already done this for you on another thread, not just football grounds, places in general, buildings and towns too.

If you believe a football ground can have soul, can you tell me what Dumbarton need to add to their ground in order to make it full of soul? 

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't need to defend our ground (nervous about what exactly?) It's perfect for us and in the perfect location. People complain that it's "soulless" but what they actually mean is it lacks atmosphere or the design of the stadium isn't to their fancy. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with people spouting out terms that mean absolutely nothing.

If you believe a football ground can have soul, can you tell me what Dumbarton need to add to their ground in order to make it full of soul? 

Replace the corner flags with copies of this:

GAAUGjamesbrown1_prov.jpg

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Okay, lack of atmosphere, you've made your point.

Have you anything to add on the Juniors?

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Lighten up ffs

It comes down to personal perception / preference. I hate modern grounds in the lower leagues such as yours, East Fifes &co. The ground is void of atmosphere, over priced, advertising-opportunity-heavy and not ideal to watch football in. For the same reason the one or two Premier League games I have attended in recent seasons have been profoundly depressing; all that garish marketing razzmatazz then the whistle goes and you find it's still the same old attritional football of fear.

As you seem to be a wee bit sensitive about the Rock (or whatever its sponsorship name is these days) I would focus on East Fife. Their ground is a horrible, soulless place to watch football, all breeze blocks and plastic. East Fife's old Bayview did have "soul" (we  might agree that's not the best word; history / tradition might be better) and I find it hard to believe it uniquely incapable of providing for the Fifers 500 or so core support if it still existed today.

There was a lot of delusion about building new grounds in the 90s. New Bayview was conceived of as a "mini Ibrox" ffs but after one Brechin-like season in the Championship in 96/7 East Fife have had no reason to put up the other three stands. The result is a quarter built ground that has a much character as the local retail park, and somehow feels as impermanent.

"Soul", history, tradition, whatever, consists of many different things; the tradition of playing in one park for decades; the memories of great games from the past at the park; the seat your father or grandfather used to occupy when watching; the old shirts, photographs, memories in the corridors of the stand and the club bar; the layered patina of history; the emotional investment that an individual makes not only in the progress of the team but also in the location of their club, over many many years.

I much prefer old fashioned grounds; give me Cliftonhill, Glebe Park, Stair Park and old Bayview over garish coloured one sided, sponsor-named, heavily branded plastic any day of the week. For others the "customer experience" is king and good luck to them. I'm not a "customer" though. If I invested as much emotionally in consumer-provider relations as I do in football I'd have been 6 feet under long ago :lol:

anyway this is w-a-a-a-a-a-y off topic so enough from me.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman