Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

I suspect the idea of the SJFA itself taking an overarching role in the pyramid is now gone. However, that's not to say the regional committees can't be involved - there's a potential opportunity for North and West Regions to get on board at Level 6. I think the East Region's blazers have missed the boat. Obviously, this assumes that the SoSFL don't want to expand beyond Dumfries and Galloway.

I can't see any need for the national association, especially since their current role is limited as it is, with most stuff devolved to the regions anyway. The Junior Cup could easily be run by co-opted members from the regions.

39 minutes ago, Marten said:

The remaining East teams south of the Tay could join tier 7 in the EOS. The north of Tay teams can merge with the north juniors, the top division can go straight into tier 6. Some space will be needed for the NCL, but that could become a regional division at tier 7 I suppose. In the west it doesn't seem too difficult either, they can just enter at tier 6, probably give the chance to better SOS teams to join at tier 6 and have the remainder of the SOS as a feeder at tier 7. If amateur teams (Glasgow University?) apply, they can be put in an appropriate tier.

It shouldn't be too difficult outside the east really, if the SJFA do it right.

I see a major flaw in your reasoning...

30 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

I think that's pretty spot on.  The WRSJFA and NRSJFA can pick up the tier 6 leagues, renamed as West of Scotland and North of Scotland Leagues whilst the EoS runs the East. I see no role for a central SJFA.

OK in the west, but there's already a long- established tier 6 league in the north.

But you're right about the central non-role.

7 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

OK in the west, but there's already a long- established tier 6 league in the north.

It would only become a tier 6 feeder in a similar manner to the EoS and SoS when pro/rel starts happening and it hasn't yet where the North Caledonian league is concerned.

20 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

In the far North. Just as there’s one in the far South.

1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

Certainly wouldn't call the NCL tier 6.  Long-established as a league but not in the pyramid.  As things stands, it is very clearly outwith the pyramid.  It's only for historical reasons that it is even considered a senior league.  I doubt the NCL would be a big obstacle in this process.  It should be incorporated into the pyramid along with the north juniors.

There's no way it can be considered a "long-established tier 6" league. when it isn't even part of the pyramid and clubs have never been promoted into tier 5 (some have moved over the years but, even then, not for a long time).

I think the last time was Wick in 1994.  Since then you've had Turriff, Formartine, Strathspey (2009) and Inverurie (2001) make the move from the juniors.

Edited by stanley

10 minutes ago, stanley said:

Certainly wouldn't call the NCL tier 6.  Long-established as a league but not in the pyramid.  As things stands, it is very clearly outwith the pyramid.  It's only for historical reasons that it is even considered a senior league.  I doubt the NCL would be a big obstacle in this process.  It should be incorporated into the pyramid along with the north juniors.

There's no way it can be considered a "long-established tier 6" league. when it isn't even part of the pyramid and clubs have never been promoted into tier 5 (some have moved over the years but, even then, not for a long time).

I think the last time was Wick in 1994.  Since then you've had Turriff, Formartine, Strathspey (2009) and Inverurie (2001) make the move from the juniors.

You're right, I got my tiers confused and was thinking of the HL.

I doubt if any NCL clubs would want to be part of the pyramid. Geography is against them.

2 hours ago, Khufu2 said:

There will be tier 7 EoS teams in 2019-20.  Can we really have two bodies running divisions at the same level of pyramid in the same region?

No. Right from the start of this forum I have said that the SFA will not accept 2 pyramid feeder leagues in the same area. The East Region Juniors will be subsumed into the East of Scotland League in 2019/20, with the exception of the Tayside clubs. Dundee has more affinity with Aberdeen than it does with Edinburgh. Also Dundee has more connections with Inverness than with the Borders.

IMO the SFA may tinker with the Highland/Lowland boundary (Perth ?), but won't change it significantly. It needs balance between the Highland & Lowland structures, and the SPFL would have to be consulted.

The PWG will have a busy autumn.

Would be great if they could set up a WoS and an NoS for 2019-20.  Make an announcement this summer and invite applications.  Open it up to the amateurs as well.  Gives everyone time to prepare for the move.  Then base the leagues next year on finishing positions in 2018-19.  This kind of thing seemed impossible not so long ago but now it seems inevitable that it will happen at some point.

11 minutes ago, Robert James said:

IMO the SFA may tinker with the Highland/Lowland boundary (Perth ?), but won't change it significantly. It needs balance between the Highland & Lowland structures, and the SPFL would have to be consulted.

Outside looking in, it seems like Tayport want to remain with their traditional Tayside rivals. Certainly easy enough to lower the boundary to include them as a HL area club.

32 minutes ago, stanley said:

The NCL wouldn't be interested in being at Tier 6 in the pyramid. Only 1 of its 9 clubs is licensed (Golspie), and there are geographical logistics to consider.

Current HFL clubs Fort William, Brora Rangers, Wick Academy & Strathspey Thistle would fall into the NCL 'region', if (in the future) they were  relegated from the HFL.  Also in the last few seasons, Nairn County, Elgin City, and Lossiemouth have entered their Development teams in some of the NCL cup competitions, and Clachnacuddin 'Reserves' played in the league for a short while. Inverness City were also members of the NCL when the club was formed, before going junior.  

The NCL could however, be 'incorporated' at Tier 7, as would the Grampian & Tayside feeder leagues, in my view, as a couple of its clubs are thought to be ambitious. Sorting out Tier 6 first, would be the priority in the North/North East.