Failed Statelet Premier League

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Nice to see their players introducing politics into the occasion.

Isn't playing the nation anthem at the start of a cup final bringing politics into it in the first place?

14 hours ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Isn't playing the nation anthem at the start of a cup final bringing politics into it in the first place?

Not in any normal country, but no need to explain why TFS doesn't fall under that category. Good to see Jacksgranda's team actually win something when it isn't Aberdeen that are the topic of the conversation, especially after what happened with the league title. I see Donegal Celtic got relegated again. Bit surprising how they have fallen off the place of the planet in terms of playing standards after all the fuss that was made about them deliberately being excluded from the Irish League and all the money they received to upgrade their ground. Better stop on that angle of attack before I start sounding like virginton...

15 hours ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

My personal take would be to have no anthems before the Final, given the petty and overly sensitive nature of Norn Iron, but the player's actions came across as cheap and tacky. To involve the children there as mascots made it even more puerile.

17 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Well done to Oran Kearney.

Must be the only guy that played for Linfield.........and Antrim.

But not  the only GAA player..................

He is one of life's true gentlemen and I am delighted for him.

1 hour ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

But not  the only GAA player..................

He is one of life's true gentlemen and I am delighted for him.

Aren't we all! He joins Marty Quinn, Ivan Murray and Bertie Peacock as Coleraine cup winning managers.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not in any normal country, but no need to explain why TFS doesn't fall under that category. Good to see Jacksgranda's team actually win something when it isn't Aberdeen that are the topic of the conversation, especially after what happened with the league title. I see Donegal Celtic got relegated again. Bit surprising how they have fallen off the place of the planet in terms of playing standards after all the fuss that was made about them deliberately being excluded from the Irish League and all the money they received to upgrade their ground. Better stop on that angle of attack before I start sounding like virginton...

Was going to post something similar. Just because "Its aye been done" doesn't mean "It should aye be done", but that view would be shouted down. Maybe whenever Cliftonville or similar reach the final the national anthem should not be played as happened in 2013. Can't understand why Cliftonville's request was turned down this time, having set the precedent. Maybe Coleraine aren't Protestant enough...

2 hours ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

My personal take would be to have no anthems before the Final, given the petty and overly sensitive nature of Norn Iron, but the player's actions came across as cheap and tacky. To involve the children there as mascots made it even more puerile.

Can't say I'm a massive fan of anthems at any time but in fairness it's a bend the knee type moment for the FS. Of course the sensible choice of removing it from the final will create all types of protest and so it's a no win.

2 hours ago, Co.Down Hibee said:

Can't say I'm a massive fan of anthems at any time but in fairness it's a bend the knee type moment for the FS. Of course the sensible choice of removing it from the final will create all types of protest and so it's a no win.

Just my own view, but no anthems equals, "no offendeds".  Remove the b*llshit and it removes the opporchancity for the permanently offended to be offended. Let's just play football.

That said, Cliftonville's players could have done better. The involving of very young mascots was dire.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44062281

Europa League play off semi finals, Glentoran come back from 2 down to beat Linfield 4-3, and Cliftonville hammer Ballymena 4-0.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44063190

Newry win 3-1 at Taylors Avenue to gain promotion, 6-3 on aggregate.

Archived