The Celtic All Seasons thread

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

Apparently we have had a 200 grand bid turned down for Carson, dont see the point in signing a mediocre keeper on a permenant deal when Gordon could be back by the end of the season, especially when hes not exactly a young prospect. He would end up being Mark Brown mark II.

Got to say I'd agree with this.  I like Trevor Carson a lot, but lets be honest, he's 29 and was playing in a Hartlepool side relegated from League 2 last season.  He's not going to be Celtic's no.1 for the next few years.  It appears you want him as back-up to Dorus De Vries - not exactly a ringing endorsement from Brendan.

I think a lot of Motherwell fans go slightly overboard in the praise of him.  While they are correct in saying he is the best 'keeper we've had since Darren Randolph, the standard of 'keepers we had during that period were absolute toilet (Hiya Craig Samson! Hiya pal!).

I think bidding £200k is a bit of a cunty move from Celtic, but they are perfectly entitled to bid what they feel he's worth.  I can't see this going any further, as I don't believe Celtic will pay as much as it would take for Motherwell to sell (particularly with so little time left in the window).

It certainly does not help when the club clearly lives in some kind of La la fantasy world where their players are worth £10 of millions and everyone else’s (especially in the SPFL) are worth peanuts apparently! 

Carson is very good goalie and has arguably been our best player and signing this season. Because Celtic and theirfans  live in a bubble they care not to acknowledge this little fact.

I would listen at £500k and extended loan deal for Ciftci.  Otherwise go away.

27 minutes ago, welldaft said:

It certainly does not help when the club clearly lives in some kind of La la fantasy world where their players are worth £10 of millions and everyone else’s (especially in the SPFL) are worth peanuts apparently! 

Carson is very good goalie and has arguably been our best player and signing this season. Because Celtic and theirfans  live in a bubble they care not to acknowledge this little fact.

300k and you get to keep Ciftci permanently

25 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Only a couple of our players are arguably in that bracket. Mainly because they have put in some decent performances in the champions league.

Carson on the other hand has been hanging around League 1 football in England. I dont think we value him enough as much as you do since you lot aren't quite out of relegation contention yet so wouldnt want to risk selling your goalkeeper who appears to be having a purple patch in his relatively underwhelming career. Its not us living in a ‘ La la fantasy world’.

Just now, gannonball said:

If true Brendan out. Boruc player/manager.

The rumour came from Celtic Quick News so I know it's not exactly a reliable source (although the Shay Given rumour was froma n equally unreliable source, the Daily Record).  

The rumour came from Celtic Quick News so I know it's not exactly a reliable source (although the Shay Given rumour was froma n equally unreliable source, the Daily Record).  

Given isnt a bad shout, I know hes retired but didnt stop bigger budget teams like Arsenal and Chelsea coaxing Lehman and Hedman (ffs) out of retirement. Think it was mainly because their keepers got injured outwith the transfer window but Given would probably love to come back if he can get a sniff of a game and it shouldnt unsettle De vries either.

Just now, gannonball said:

Given isnt a bad shout, I know hes retired but didnt stop bigger budget teams like Arsenal and Chelsea coaxing Lehman and Hedman (ffs) out of retirement. Think it was mainly because their keepers got injured outwith the transfer window but Given would probably love to come back if he can get a sniff of a game and it shouldnt unsettle De vries either.

According to the article in the Record, he has never officially retired, he's just unemployed at the moment.  

So the deadline day rumour mill is going off the rails on a crazy train regarding Celtic's goalie situation.   Depending on what you read Celtic have missed out on Freddie Woodman (oh and apparently Celtic were interested in Freddie Woodman) and Celtic, Hibs, and Dundee will do a three way deal that somehow will see Scott Bain move to Celtic, Simon Murray go to Dundee and Scott Allan go to Hibs. 

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

There is a fair chance this goalkeeper we sign will not get a game.

Which is disappointing as I don't rate De Vries that highly.  I would love it if Celtic could loan someone better than De Vries for the run in, especially as we are still in Europa League conversation.

Someone like Danny Ward

8 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Which is disappointing as I don't rate De Vries that highly.  I would love it if Celtic could loan someone better than De Vries for the run in, especially as we are still in Europa League conversation.

Someone like Danny Ward

I would be surprised if Gordon plays again this season,so De Vries will get his chance to be the number one,he has been decent so far with very little mistakes.
Depending on Gordon and De Vries performances to the end of the season we could be looking for another number one.