Virginia and surroundings?

Kejan

Girlfriend is going to a conference with her work for a week in Norfolk, Virginia and we have just decided to go on holiday there as the flights will be reimbursed and when are you ever going to be in that neck of the woods again?

Thinking of traveling around, but not sure what is the best way to go - south towards Carolina, even south-west to Nashville etc? Or do a sort of 'circle' around Virginia, West Virginia, even up to Ohio, and Washington too. 

Just starting to research it now and realise I know next to nothing about Virginia, apart from there a few civil war sites which might be interesting to go to. And it might be quite interesting/scary propping up some country bar in West Virginia and hearing the locals talk politics. 

Anyone in this area or been? Is it worth going south, staying around that area, or even north? We've both been to New York a couple of times, so not too fussed about going that way, but open to anything.

Cheers.

Definitely get to Nashville, absolutely brilliant city. Broadway is superb, whether you like country music or not. Best parts of the Carolinas is the coasts, Charleston is really nice and walkable as is Myrtle Beach. Charlotte and Raleigh are kinda dull, I wouldn't go out my way to visit them. 

Plenty to do in DC. Not my favourite place, nor least, but tonnes of places to visit, sports, shopping, anything you can think of really. Most of the decent places to visit like the Smithsonian is free as well. In terms of Virginia, I've been to Richmond, its okay, but kind of a nothing place. 

If you can get down to Savannah in Georgia, which is lovely. Avoid Memphis btw, biggest shithole major city I've been anywhere in the developed world. Louisville is a decent wee city too for pubs, the Louisville Slugger and Churchill Downs if you're into that sort of thing.

When are you going? If you are going soon you'll be spending a shitload on water to cope with the humidity.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Virginia is a lovely part of the States...some gorgeous countryside with history popping up wherever you go. 

We spent time in Charlottesville visiting Monticello (the home of Thomas Jefferson) before heading to Appomattox and then down into Asheville, North Carolina. where we visited Biltmore and Chimney Rock (Last of the Mohicans was partly filmed there). 

It's a huge state, and there's plenty to see depending on how interested you are in early American or civil war history. Williamsburg and Jamestown could also be on your list. 

As mentioned above, Charleston is a wonderful city (IMHO kicks the arse out of Savannah), but it's a hell of a drive from Norfolk. 

A special mention for DC, which is by far and away my favourite US city. Amazing history, museums and great neighbourhoods. If you've never been before and you're close by, you MUST visit. 

Good luck !

Only been to Virginia and W Virginia passing through - no major comments certainly not negative ones.

I thought the Carolinas were terrible places, with some of the weirdest most bitter atmospheres anywhere in the states; also the most confederate flags.

In Georgia I liked Atlanta and Athens

Cheers for the suggestions.

We're probably going around mid-late Sept to the middle of October. Just looking at Google maps there and everything is a far bit away in either direction - north, south, east, west. Nashville looks a fair drive, but certainly an option. 

Or just head north in to Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey etc.

I think the thought of going to West Virginia and Allentown, PA are mainly down to John Denver and Billy Joel singing about them. And no doubt I'll end up making us go to those places and there being nothing much at all to shout about. ;)

Nashville for the music and the honky-tonks is definitely worth a visit but you're basically going to give up a day to drive out there and a day to drive back and if you're only there for a week, that's an awful lot of your holiday spent on an interstate. Or you could come back through Kentucky and hit some of the bourbon distillers on the way, Bulleit, Wild Turkey, Four Roses etc. DC is a good bit closer to get to and has more to do when you get there. It's a nightmare to drive through so you'd be better getting an Air BnB or something nearby and getting the Metro in. It's a nice, compact city, well-suited for walking about.

On 04/07/2017 at 18:16, Kejan said:

Cheers for the suggestions.

We're probably going around mid-late Sept to the middle of October. Just looking at Google maps there and everything is a far bit away in either direction - north, south, east, west. Nashville looks a fair drive, but certainly an option. 

Or just head north in to Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey etc.

I think the thought of going to West Virginia and Allentown, PA are mainly down to John Denver and Billy Joel singing about them. And no doubt I'll end up making us go to those places and there being nothing much at all to shout about. ;)

You could just go random on the back roads and see what happens. Always wanted to do that, maybe next year.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You could just go random on the back roads and see what happens. Always wanted to do that, maybe next year.

Is this a threat? Or a suggestion? Sounds like the start of a early 200s thriller movie starting Josh Hartnett.

Archived