Best Boozer

Ended up in the Waverley last night.  Full of neds snorting junk, chinned twice in the toilet about what team do I support and where am I from, some roaster sleeping on the bar, an old guy trying to go for who I think was his son, someone having a shove at a barmaid before he started offering fights outside.  Nothing like the cracking couple of nights I've had in their before. 

That's quite disappointing, I've drank in there for years and whilst you get plenty doing Calvin's in the toilet, you generally don't get any issues with what team you support. One of the reasons I like it so much is because it's not a Rangers or a Celtic pub, which is hard to come by in this part of the world. Maybe just a function on with the wee neds thinking they run the shop?

I know the owner fairly well, sure he will be disappointed to know that you've had a shite experience, he runs a tight ship normally. Was the bald boy serving?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Adam said:

That's quite disappointing, I've drank in there for years and whilst you get plenty doing Calvin's in the toilet, you generally don't get any issues with what team you support. One of the reasons I like it so much is because it's not a Rangers or a Celtic pub, which is hard to come by in this part of the world. Maybe just a function on with the wee neds thinking they run the shop?

I know the owner fairly well, sure he will be disappointed to know that you've had a shite experience, he runs a tight ship normally. Was the bald boy serving?

No it was a lassie with blonde hair in charge.  Staff were spot on to be fair, lassie in question chucked a few of them out for taking the gear.

No it was a lassie with blonde hair in charge.  Staff were spot on to be fair, lassie in question chucked a few of them out for taking the gear.

She's a decent girl, doesn't normally put up with any shite. Must have been a do on in the lounge, take it you went into the bar (left as you walk in the main doors)?

I was in for a drink about a year ago with my mate and the bar was shut, so we had to go into the lounge, where there was an 18th birthday party. Full of wee arseholes so we went to the Kimberley!

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

She's a decent girl, doesn't normally put up with any shite. Must have been a do on in the lounge, take it you went into the bar (left as you walk in the main doors)?

I was in for a drink about a year ago with my mate and the bar was shut, so we had to go into the lounge, where there was an 18th birthday party. Full of wee arseholes so we went to the Kimberley!

Started off in the bar but the guy I was with had a few mates sitting in the lounge.

Started off in the bar but the guy I was with had a few mates sitting in the lounge.

Bound to have been a birthday party/funeral or something, shame you seen it on a bad night, the locals are typically really decent, don't let it put you off!

Just now, Adam said:

Bound to have been a birthday party/funeral or something, shame you seen it on a bad night, the locals are typically really decent, don't let it put you off!

Don't think it was a function think it was just a collection of hawf wits. 

Don't think it was a function think it was just a collection of hawf wits. 

Must have been giro weekend then, shame! I wasn't out last night so I can't be blamed [emoji23]

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 17:44, welshbairn said:

Full of tourists and smelly office types. OK for afternoons in the off season.

It is absolutely at its best on a midweek afternoon in the rain, when everyone else is at work.  Stick the golf or the cricket on the telly, take one of the wicker chairs.  Stay all afternoon.  

Edit: Castle Tavern is my favourite in Inverness.  In Glasgow, it has to be the Lismore or the Aragon, and in Edinburgh The Jolly Judge.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

It is absolutely at its best on a midweek afternoon in the rain, when everyone else is at work.  Stick the golf or the cricket on the telly, take one of the wicker chairs.  Stay all afternoon.  

Edit: Castle Tavern is my favourite in Inverness.  In Glasgow, it has to be the Lismore or the Aragon, and in Edinburgh The Jolly Judge.

Castle Tavern was my favourite for more years than I can remember. Unfortunately the last time I was there, with the other half, for a meal we had to wait an eternity for the food to be served - when it arrived it was hardly luke warm - and didn't look warm either!

I've since discovered it has now changed hands - wee George McLean, the previous owner, is concentrating all his efforts on building up the Phoenix in Academy St. Not surprisingly he's installed his former chef from the the Castle in there and by all accounts, it's not only an excellent traditional style pub, it's also a very good place to eat.

http://www.phoenixalehouse.co.uk/

The Golden Rule is my local. Cracking wee boozer. Nice enough with that element of Jakeyness to keep away the hipster c***s. 

'The Rule' (I once heard someone inside call it that, so I can only assume it's acceptable) was my local for the year I lived in Edinburgh. Quite enjoyed it there. Frankensteins is also quite good.

When in Dundee I find myself in the DCA more times than I probably should, but I'm quite partial to the Nether, probably more for nostalgia since it's where my mates and I always first went when we turned 18. The Birky Inn is my local. It's nice because I can turn up and they'll be at least a few people I know and can chat with, but it's a tad pricey and the drinks selection I find limited.

When I'm at Uni in Stirling, the Curly Coo is a firm favourite.

'The Rule' (I once heard someone inside call it that, so I can only assume it's acceptable) was my local for the year I lived in Edinburgh. Quite enjoyed it there. Frankensteins is also quite good.

When in Dundee I find myself in the DCA more times than I probably should, but I'm quite partial to the Nether, probably more for nostalgia since it's where my mates and I always first went when we turned 18. The Birky Inn is my local. It's nice because I can turn up and they'll be at least a few people I know and can chat with, but it's a tad pricey and the drinks selection I find limited.

The birkie inn is indeed a class boozer. Don't think it's that pricey? At least no Jakies go in it. Good grub decent pool table and jukebox. Can't go wrong[emoji106][emoji106]

4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

The Birky Inn is nice.

Paul Jones pub in southerness where I'm at now is nice. Prices are quite expensive.

You're a bit of a captive audience down there. If you need a change go to the 19th hole, not as good, but it's a change of scenery.

5 hours ago, Sooky said:

The DCA is okay up to a point, my missus loves the place but I find the bar a bit pricey and the ambience not a patch on the Phoenix, Mennies or the Taybridge Bar on the Perth Road. The DCA cinema is brilliant though and the DJ on Friday nights plays some top drawer stuff...

The birkie inn is indeed a class boozer. Don't think it's that pricey? At least no Jakies go in it. Good grub decent pool table and jukebox. Can't go wrong[emoji106][emoji106]

You know what, you're right. It's actually not that bad. I think I've just been manipulated into thinking that because there's usually one old regular a night who says it is and threatens to go to the nearby bowling club, but then never does. Absolute scenes when the price goes up by 5p a pint. Grub is indeed quite decent!

I've never been in here and am back in Stirling this week for a few days - is it the old Albion bar? Across from the sheriff court roughly? Might give it a try.

Generally, I think bars in the centre of Stirling are utter shit. Full of absolute zoomers.

Archived