Best Boozer

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll go for the Barton's Arms pub, in Aston/Newtown, Birmingham.

Listed building which Laurel and Hardy visited.

Loads of different ales and also has a Thai restaurant attached.

Watched a documentary about Ozzy Osbourne the other day and he went back to where he grew up and the drive past the pub. He said he had a gig opposite it.

The bars mentioned for Perth are all shiteholes. Christies is full of polis so thats a no no. Auld Hoose is indeed full of minks. The Bee Bar is like a small Tam O Shanter without the decent wallhangings but just as much travellers. The Kirky? You're having a fucking laugh. Greyfriars is a smelly cupboard of a place frequented by Pete fucking Wishart, say no more. In fact I cannot think of a decent bar in Perth. Green room at a push maybe. DO NOT GO DRINKING IN PERTH FOLKS, IT'S A SHITEHOLE.

I boycotted Uisge Beatha on Woodlands Road for about 5 years because of total c*nt staff. It's now called Dram! (dear oh dear), and I maintain my boycott.
It was a shame, as although Uisge's was always a bit full of tossers,

Aye hated that place when I stayed around there. As you say, cuntbag staff and customers. Always preferred the Halt Bar or the wee yin by Kelvinbridge subway whose name escapes me.

13 minutes ago, resk said:

Aye hated that place when I stayed around there. As you say, cuntbag staff and customers. Always preferred the Halt Bar or the wee yin by Kelvinbridge subway whose name escapes me.

Doublet?

I've been in bar gallus a few times when in Glasgow. The horseshoe is a favourite of mine as well, - it's got a pie oven, which is a bonus. The last time me and the wife were in we sat at the bar and got chatting to a couple of old Glasgow boys who worked In the govan shipyards, some cracking stories. Give me that any day over some pretentious craft ale wankfest with bearded hipsters with man buns.

23 hours ago, Adam said:

Glasgow city centre - Max's or Sloans
West End - Lismore or The Islay
East End - The Waverley

Only been in the Waverley a few times but I've always had a great night.  Strathspey is a decent enough boozer too if I am ever in Tollcross.

Only been in the Waverley a few times but I've always had a great night.  Strathspey is a decent enough boozer too if I am ever in Tollcross.

Strathspey isn't bad, but is generally full of pishy pensioners talking shite, so would prefer to go across to The Kimberley. Waverley is brilliant for the beer garden and football, not technically my local, with that being Bells, but that's a dump.

34 minutes ago, philpy said:

I've been in bar gallus a few times when in Glasgow. The horseshoe is a favourite of mine as well, - it's got a pie oven, which is a bonus. The last time me and the wife were in we sat at the bar and got chatting to a couple of old Glasgow boys who worked In the govan shipyards, some cracking stories. Give me that any day over some pretentious craft ale wankfest with bearded hipsters with man buns.

Two boring auld wanks interrupting your day giving it the Glesga patter? Sounds shite.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

The bars mentioned for Perth are all shiteholes. Christies is full of polis so thats a no no. Auld Hoose is indeed full of minks. The Bee Bar is like a small Tam O Shanter without the decent wallhangings but just as much travellers. The Kirky? You're having a fucking laugh. Greyfriars is a smelly cupboard of a place frequented by Pete fucking Wishart, say no more. In fact I cannot think of a decent bar in Perth. Green room at a push maybe. DO NOT GO DRINKING IN PERTH FOLKS, IT'S A SHITEHOLE.

I quite like the Old Ship

1 minute ago, Adam said:

Strathspey isn't bad, but is generally full of pishy pensioners talking shite, so would prefer to go across to The Kimberley. Waverley is brilliant for the beer garden and football, not technically my local, with that being Bells, but that's a dump.

I find the Kimberley to be hit and miss.  Sometimes it's been alright, other times I've found it to be full of neds.  Was in the Bells once, had one pint...I'm in no rush to go back.

I find the Kimberley to be hit and miss.  Sometimes it's been alright, other times I've found it to be full of neds.  Was in the Bells once, had one pint...I'm in no rush to go back.

Kimberley tends to be where the local young folk go before going into town, can be decent if the right crowd is in, my mate drinks in there quite a lot so occasionally end up in there, but aye, wouldn't go in through choice.

The only redeeming feature of Bells is the dart board, but you get moaned at for playing on it if there's anyone sat in the booth next to it though.

Tollcross does have a decent number of pubs, most of those I would happily have a beer in.

Guest bernardblack

Bar Salsa is an excellent shout. It's a bloody nightmare to get into on a Friday/Saturday now though.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

Kimberley tends to be where the local young folk go before going into town, can be decent if the right crowd is in, my mate drinks in there quite a lot so occasionally end up in there, but aye, wouldn't go in through choice.

The only redeeming feature of Bells is the dart board, but you get moaned at for playing on it if there's anyone sat in the booth next to it though.

Tollcross does have a decent number of pubs, most of those I would happily have a beer in.

Not been in it since it was taken over but Elders was a decent enough shop too.

The Abbotsford is alright...

Archived