Berwick Rangers v Clyde

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel for the fans who made the trip , thank the good Lord I decided not to go today .The club doesn't deserve the support it gets anyway safe journey up the road guys and huge respect for making the game [emoji122]

3 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

If it was Ferguson in charge there would be furious responses emoji23.png

True but most of us gave Bazza more than one game in charge before going for the jugular.

All will be forgiven when we pump Annan next week. Guaranteed 3 points against his former club, right? 

5 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

Feel for the fans who made the trip , thank the good Lord I decided not to go today .The club doesn't deserve the support it gets anyway safe journey up the road guys and huge respect for making the game emoji122.png

Hear, hear! Hope the lads/ladies who went down were treated well by our English hosts. 

Safe home everyone!

2 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

No idea why they don't try swapping Breslin and Home. Home doesn't have it in him to get up and down the pitch and Breslin has only made one challenge of note in the whole half.

If I was to guess I'd say the reason why they haven't been swapped is because Home, McNiff and Nicoll would be an utterly paceless trio. Chances weren't the problem so I don't reckon that swap is on Chapman's mind. Not that it's unreasonable: Home's sturdier; Breslin's nippier.

It's been complained about Nicoll that his involvement means we must, or do, defend deeply. Well, today shows that we need not defend deeply while he's in the team. But look what happens if we don't or aren't made to defend deeply... The virtue of the 3-5-2 with Nicoll in it is that it makes things fairly stuffy and invites a counter attack. The Airdrie friendly and the Kilmarnock game evidence that. But of course, those are full-time teams, and we could expect to be up against it. In game after game which we're looking to win, you can't really leave the likes of Breslin, McNiff, Home or whoever else high-up the pitch without a good midfield shield. Which, of course, we're painfully far from having.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I found a great video on YouTube today. Two, actually. Our match with Rangers in '96 - not a great team that, but by god did it have some grit - and, better still, a video of Harry Haddock giving his view on the Clyde support here*.

*If my posting this leads to excessive nostalgia, bitching about Broadwood and so on, I'm sorry.

True but most of us gave Bazza more than one game in charge before going for the jugular.
All will be forgiven when we pump Annan next week. Guaranteed 3 points against his former club, right? 

Don't think anyone will go for the jugular but he has to sort out the defence and some of the midfield

Just the usual s**** start to another
Season it's a Clyde tradition [emoji6]

Not a lot to add to what myself and others have already said but here's my take on the game.

Goodwillie put us ahead with a similar kind of goal to his second against Elgin last season. Curled into the far corner of the goal from the other side of the box after doing all the work himself - a really classy goal. Osadolor also went on a brilliant solo run and fired just wide not too long after. We were looking comfortable until Berwick equalised, just before half time. Nicoll passed the ball straight to Berwick's midfield, under very little pressure, and they broke forward and fed Irving who finished well across Currie.

Following half time, we missed chance after chance: Goodwillie fired over when through on goal, just before Osadolor's aforementioned sand dancing. Cuddihy sclaffed wide from the edge of the box, Wright forced their keeper into a save and the ball was pushed too far wide for Goodwillie to convert the rebound. McCrorie also denied Goodwillie from about six yards (after McNiff had headed across goal) and the same player lobbed the ball over McCrorie only for the ball to land on the roof of the net.

Berwick's second came from a set play. Goodwillie claimed for a foul at the edge of the box, which wasn't given, the ball was played up the park and Nicoll fouled the Berwick player (possibly Rutherford but I can't remember) in a similar challenge to Goodwillie's claim at the other end. From the free kick, Currie clawed away the initial effort but Murrell smashed home the rebound into the empty net.

From there, the game was over and admittedly I missed the build up to Berwick's third goal as I was posting on this thread - I only saw Irving smash the ball past Currie at his near post. After the third, Goodwillie had a header saved and Wright stretched to get onto a ball into the box but the couldn't get any power on his effort which again, McCrorie saved.

As others have said it's hugely frustrating to come away from that having lost by two goals. Without sounding like a walking cliche, two crucial mistakes from Nicoll and Osadolor at key times in the game cost us but we can't kid ourselves on, we are going to leak goals if that defence/midfield is not sorted. Four at Kilmarnock, five at Ayr and three today. Home is undoubtedly a solid enough defender but he's incredibly slow and teams will target that. McNiff actually played fairly well today and Nicoll did well for the most part, yet cost us one, if not two goals. Stewart did okay too but his final ball was pretty poor.

We know a midfield trio of Miller, Flynn and Cuddihy aren't going to win many balls and Berwick completely overran us in the midfield. Miller put in his usual dangerous set pieces and Flynn was more positive than I have seen him be but that midfield trio won't take a game by the scruff of the neck. Cuddihy in particular was poor, in my opinion.

Up front, Goodwillie will obviously score us goals by himself but even he missed a hatful of chances today. Although, he battled away very well. Osadolor, as mentioned earlier, shows flashes of brilliance but also flashes of having never kicked a ball in his life. He needs to be much more decisive in his play too.

Wright set up a good chance for Goodwillie when he came on and did try to drive us forward. Likewise, Burbidge looked fairly useful during the short time he was on. Pretty quick and looks as though he could be a bit of a nuisance. The game was finished by the time Millar came on so he didn't have much of a chance to influence things.

Credit to Berwick, you took the chances that came your way very well and for that alone, fully deserved the win. As for us, it wasn't a dreadful performance, by any means, but we won't be any better than mid table dross if we don't sort that defence and midfield out quickly.

Not a lot to add to what myself and others have already said but here's my take on the game.
Goodwillie put us ahead with a similar kind of goal to his second against Berwick last season. Curled into the far corner of the goal from the other side of the box after doing all the work himself - a really classy goal. Osadolor also went on a brilliant solo run and fired just wide not too long after. We were looking comfortable until Berwick equalised, just before half time. Nicoll passed the ball straight to Berwick's midfield, under very little pressure, and they broke forward and fed Irving who finished well across Currie.
Following half time, we missed chance after chance: Goodwillie fired over when through on goal, just before Osadolor's aforementioned sand dancing. Cuddihy sclaffed wide from the edge of the box, Wright forced their keeper into a save and the ball was pushed too far wide for Goodwillie to convert the rebound. McCrorie also denied Goodwillie from about six yards (after McNiff had headed across goal) and lobbed the ball over McCrorie only for the ball to land on the roof of the net.
Berwick's second came from a set play. Goodwillie claimed for a foul at the edge of the box, which wasn't given, the ball was played up the park and Nicoll fouled the Berwick player (possibly Rutherford but I can't remember) in a similar challenge to Goodwillie's claim at the other end. From the free kick, Currie clawed away the initial effort but Murrell smashed home the rebound into the empty net.
From there, the game was over and admittedly I missed the build up to Berwick's third goal as I was posting on this thread - I only saw Irving smash the ball past Currie at his near post. After the third, Goodwillie had a header saved and Wright stretched to get onto a ball into the box but the couldn't get any power on his effort which again, McCrorie saved.
As others have said it's hugely frustrating to come away from that having lost by two goals. Without sounding like a walking cliche, two crucial mistakes from Nicoll and Osadolor at key times in the game cost us but we can't kid ourselves on, we are going to leak goals if that defence/midfield is not sorted. Four at Kilmarnock, five at Ayr and three today. Home is undoubtedly a solid enough defender but he's incredibly slow and teams will target that. McNiff actually played fairly well today and Nicoll did well for the most part, yet cost us one, if not two goals. Stewart did okay too but his final ball was pretty poor.
We know a midfield trio of Miller, Flynn and Cuddihy aren't going to win many balls and Berwick completely overran us in the midfield. Miller put in his usual dangerous set pieces and Flynn was more positive than I have seen him be but that midfield trio won't take a game by the scruff of the neck. Cuddihy in particular was poor, in my opinion.
Up front, Goodwillie will obviously score us goals by himself but even he missed a hatful of chances today. Although, he battled away very well. Osadolor, as mentioned earlier, shows flashes of brilliance but also flashes of having never kicked a ball in his life. He needs to be much more decisive in his play too.
Wright set up a good chance for Goodwillie when he came on and did try to drive us forward. Likewise, Burbidge looked fairly useful during the short time he was on. Pretty quick and looks as though he could be a bit of a nuisance. The game was finished by the time Millar came on so he didn't have much of a chance to influence things.
Credit to Berwick, you took the chances that came your way very well and for that alone, fully deserved the win. As for us, it wasn't a dreadful performance, by any means, but we won't be any better than mid table dross if we don't sort that defence and midfield out quickly.

Well one thing for sure he won't drop cuddihy he has been dreadful every game I have seen him , can't comment today wasn't there but agree unless we stop conceeding goals we won't even reach mid table
But game next week a win is a must if only for moral

We are so weak on the right side of defence.We were cruising it until Nicol lost concentration and gave the ball away needlessly.Second half only one team in it and it wasn't Berwick.Goodwillie could have had 5 and should have had 3-he will score a barrow load but I think it will be a battle with the current defence.

A word about Miller,his discipline is atrocious and I am sure he will cost us.

Goalie doesn't fill me with confidence.

All in all a very disappointing trip.

Not sure if you will pump Annan. They started with nothing after you took everything apart from the light bulbs but they have managed to put together a team of fighters combined with a bit of skill and flair. Annan have managed to replace all those lost with players of at least equal ability or in some cases increased ability.
You lost three goals today. Did any of them come from free kicks or corners by any chance ?

Delighted for everyone involved at BRFC. Considering pre-season, and although having some good performances, results really gave little by way of confidence boost for today. Interested in a Berwick view if this was smash and grab or a solid all round performance. Sounds like our midfield was our strong suit.

Not sure if you will pump Annan. They started with nothing after you took everything apart from the light bulbs but they have managed to put together a team of fighters combined with a bit of skill and flair. Annan have managed to replace all those lost with players of at least equal ability or in some cases increased ability.
You lost three goals today. Did any of them come from free kicks or corners by any chance ?

You replaced them from what I have seen so far wouldn't be hard

I thought we were garbage today. Almost all of our chances were created via long punts from Currie or from poor defending by Berwick.

Berwick had the run of midfield and it's just as well they were equally poor. Stewart and Home won't cut it as wing backs. Home looks and plays like a centre half. If we play him at wing back then we are pretty much sacrificing the whole right hand side of the pitch as an attacking threat.

I would much rather we played 4-4-2 or some kind of variation so that we can start our more attacking players like Burbidge or Wright.

The goals we lost were all extremely poor. Nicoll's poor pass under no pressure leading to the Berwick equaliser right on half time. It was never a free kick for Berwick's second and Currie made a decent save but we had nobody rushing in to clear it away while Berwick had 3 players waiting to tap it in. The defence had chucked it for the 3rd goal, stood of the Berwick player and allowed them to shoot unchallenged.

From the free kick, Currie clawed away the initial effort but Murrell smashed home the rebound into the empty net.

I've mentioned previously my concern that Currie tends to parry the ball back into the danger zone.

Today, I thought Curry got to the free kick comfortably and could easily have put the ball out for a corner.

Archived