East Fife v Queens Park

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Docherty is not learning from his mistskes, short passback at peterhead and again today, we are too slow and ponderous and too many passes across the back and in midfield, teams break quick on us we dont break quick on other teams, cant miss the chances we missed today and win games but no way queens deserved 3 points today

That performance did nothing to banish the memories of two weeks ago against the Rovers. Fair play to Queens Park, they played to their strengths and Gus McPherson continues to hold the Indian sign over us. 

After such an inept performance against Raith, Darren Young only saw fit to drop Goodfellow and Millar. Week after week he is showing loyalty to some players who are making mistakes week after week. Again today Mark Docherty cost us a goal which has been a regular occurrence this season. Is it because he is too friendly with certain players and doesn't have the courage to make difficult decisions ? It certainly looks that way.

Maybe the time has come for him to stand up and be counted and make difficult decisions for the benefit of the team and the Club. Now that Pagey is approaching full fitness should there be a reshuffle at the back ? Chris Kane to come back in ? What has happened to Ben Reilly ? Did well against Dunfermline and rarely been seen since - not even on the bench today. At least he has a bit of energy and endeavour about him. 

It gives me no pleasure to say that I had reservations about the make up of the squad for this season. We are light in terms of options up front. Chris Duggan is low on confidence at the moment. Greg Hurst works hard but at times makes poor movement decisions. Kyle Wilson is raw and will need time to adjust. Goals don't exactly look as though they will be free flowing from all areas of the team and if we keep giving teams a helping hand to score against us it's going to be a real struggle.

One of my main concerns today was the lack of leadership and motivation from the technical area. Darren Young looked as though he had no idea on how to change things. No plan B was available when it became obvious that Plan A was not working. Yes he can't legislate for players failing to take their chances or for individual errors but at the end of the day he chooses the team, formation and tactics. The players must be being coached to knock the ball about at the back. They must be doing this in training. If they are going against the managers instructions they should be dropped for the next game. I feel he is too 'nice' and doesn't want to upset experienced professionals but this does not create the professionalism required at a senior club. Every player should be treated equally and players given their chance. If they are making mistakes week in, week out, they shouldn't expect to play in the next game especially when we have a big squad which should encourage competition for places.

Young is not new to management but previously he has had experience around him in the shape of Sandy Clark and Billy Stark. I know it's early in the season but the pressure will now be building on him to turn it around and he will only do so by using the squad wisely and not splitting the dressing room by continually playing his pals come what may.

Don't think anyone at the game could have grudged East Fife at least a point but Queens would be happy to take the hospitality we gifted with a horrendous error that led to their penalty and missing open goals.In all honesty both teams really lacked any quality and I am sure they will both be in the lower reaches of the league come what May. Everything East Fife did was too slow and gave Queens time to get in shape when we attacked. Only positive I can take from the game is Hurst looks more confident in goal than Goodfellow. If we keep serving up performances like that no fan can justify parting with £15 in the name of footballing entertainment. You could sense at the end the knives are being sharpened for Darren Young and performances and results will need to improve sooner rather than later. Next week a change in formation is definently needed as playing with 2 wide men is a luxury we can't afford. We must get fighters and ball winners in the middle of the park and in an old fashioned way play for the jersey. Agree a few players getting a start when clearly they should be taken out the starting 11 and someone else in the squad given a chance to see if they can improve our fortunes. Good to see Kevin Smith warming up before the game hope its not long before he is back in the team.

Cant work out what's happening with Kyle Wilkie, he seems to be playing in front of the back 4 but doesn't have the defensive qualities required for that role, he has been picking the ball up from the centre halfs and passing it to the full backs, let the centre hslfs do that, going through Wilkie is just slowing everything down, i want to see wilkie playing in the Robinson role off the front where he can hurt teams not back in his own half,leave that to the defensive minded midfielders becsuse god knows we have enough of them,
I agree young is now under pressure and if he can't turn it around before the end of the first quarter he needs to go

Flanagan wide right having to cut inside all the time think he.s left footed .Willis off Marcus Lamonty on who when can be arsed can beat a full back and put in a good right footed crosss.but get stuck out on the left flank ? And as for Wullie(midget) Muir being allowed to gather crosses without one challenge put on him beggars belief

I can understand why Fife fans feel they should have had more for their efforts, we were the same last week, but it's all about the goals. It was one of those days where a major gaffe or individual excellence would make the difference. Burns almost qualified for the latter in the first half but both teams offered gifts and credit is due to David Galt for making the best of the sloppy passback. Perfect pen from Millen who had his best game of the season so far.

Gus clearly persisting with a back 3 and getting his wingbacks starting position higher up the field. Worked better yesterday and I hope he works through the uncertainties some players are showing. We are clearly struggling to find a regular goalscorer. Our latest No 9 is the worst footballer I've seen at this level. Offered absolutely nothing, on or off the ball. Orr showed more in his short time and with a bit more support could have killed the game.

By contrast, Jack Iredale very much looks the part. Solid in defence but his passing on the ground to midfielders was a very welcome addition. Cummins and Bailey also looked strong and confident and Galt was always a threat, though sometimes a quick simple pass might add to his game. Fitful days for Burns and Brady, worryingly, and Muir had an uncharacteristic afternoon although still made his quota of first-class saves.

We're still in transition and I expect it to be so for a while yet. But a critical win against a tough opponent away from home is always welcome and continues our upward trend. It also shows again how our guys always dig in when it's not pretty. Looking forward to the next two games with greater interest now.

To all you QP fans,

I wouldn't take beating us as turning the corner for the season. At the moment we are downright disgraceful and couldn' beat a carpet. Our only hope of points at the moment are by trying to hold on for 90 minutes for a no score draw because I am stumped as to where a goal will come from. Even when teams lay them on a plate like the defensive mix up yesterday, we fluff it. Where on earth is our next goal coming from?

Meanwhile at the back we insist on being Santa Claus and handing out gifts. Why was Docherty in the left back position when he was playing midfield. Why is Kyle Wilkie making a back five? Why does Duggan always look isolated up front? Why is Ben Reilly not used more, I liked what I have seen in his cameo appearances. Also does Kyle Wilson warrant more game time, worth a try as I don't think we are getting Much from Hurst.

Hopefully Pages return might stop leaking silly goals and Kevin Smith might add more of a goal threat. Why is it that even with a change of management and a change of playing personel, we end playing the same old crappy way. When was the last time that we comfortably beat a team at home and we were able to relax on the sidelines enjoying the football being played.

"Our latest No 9 is the worst footballer I've seen at this level. Offered absolutely nothing, on or off the ball. Orr showed more in his short time and with a bit more support could have killed the game."

Extremely harsh and unfair on Luke Donnelly there. Whilst agreeing that Orr is definitely the better option I thought Donnelly did OK for someone making his debut. Held the ball up well at times and showed a few nice touches. Yes he wasn't very mobile but I'm sure Gus didn't put him in the team for that. I heard that the boy is really a midfielder as well.
If he is the worse you have seen I reckon you must have a very selective memory. I've seen players playing up front for QP who have struggled to touch the ball.

"Our latest No 9 is the worst footballer I've seen at this level. Offered absolutely nothing, on or off the ball. Orr showed more in his short time and with a bit more support could have killed the game."

Extremely harsh and unfair on Luke Donnelly there. Whilst agreeing that Orr is definitely the better option I thought Donnelly did OK for someone making his debut. Held the ball up well at times and showed a few nice touches. Yes he wasn't very mobile but I'm sure Gus didn't put him in the team for that. I heard that the boy is really a midfielder as well.
If he is the worse you have seen I reckon you must have a very selective memory. I've seen players playing up front for QP who have struggled to touch the ball.

Nice to hear from you Boris. It's been a while. Thankfully EF produce comprehensive highlights so we'll see how much of a contribution Donnelly made from those. I think my comment is reasonable but if proven wrong will be happy to adjust to your way of thinking.

Martin McComish. Probably loads of others from *that* season whose existence I've extinguished from my mind. I'd say David Gold, but he's inexplicably gone on to do well at this level. Maybe just a mix of inexperience and being thrown into the worst QP team in living memory that made him look worse.

Rather not start a debate online slagging off QP players past and present thank you very much. Who knows if Donnelly proves good enough or not? What I do know is that calling him the worst player you have ever seen at this level is not going to help him or the team. Especially since he is clearly not that.

3 hours ago, NathanQP said:

I'll start

Michael Keenan

Hang on a minute, mind that header he scored at Clyde when we were 2-0 down? 8 minutes later we were 3-2 up. Nah the big man was never a striker but he gets a pass mark from me for that game alone.

Anyone remember a guy called Ian Fitzpatrick (not that one) who played up front when Hugh McCann was boss? He was total pish and had plenty of opportunities to show it unfortunately

Rather not start a debate online slagging off QP players past and present thank you very much. Who knows if Donnelly proves good enough or not? What I do know is that calling him the worst player you have ever seen at this level is not going to help him or the team. Especially since he is clearly not that.

Still not mastered the art of alternative opinions yet Boris? I don't pay to get in just to be the team's psychologist. I thought he was a passenger the entire game. Your entitled to your opinion too.

Birnstingl.

By the way, I made an observation. You started the debate.

Archived