Christmas Food & Drink

Given the debacle on the PTTGOYN thread regarding mince pies etc, I thought a new thread would be appropriate.

So, what is your favourite food & drink for the festive period?

Mine are

Sausage bacon wrap wrap

Cranberry sauce -must be homemade

Baileys with ice as a nightcap

Full Scottish as a wake up call that you are going to need to expand that stomach.

Pheasant as the starter- only had this once but was delicious.

Good quality red wine.

On a wider note, what does your Xmas day food & drink intake consist of?

I would happy have a plate heaped with pigs in blankets, mashed tatties, roast tatties and gravy and not bother with anything else for my dinner...........

OK maybe one wee slice of turkey and a bit of cranberry sauce to show festive spirit.

But would happily spend the day with the following menu;

Sausages wrapped in bacon aka pigs in blankets & red wine

Roast tatties & white wine

Cheese board & Port

Red wine & chcocolates & Jelly babies

Whisky & chocolates

5 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Good thread.

Mince pies are excellent, as are sausages wrapped in bacon.

On the day - prawn cocktail, soup, turkey etc with as many roast potatoes as possible, cheeseboard, stovies at night.

Also, going out for Christmas dinner is Tory

My folks went out for Christmas dinner once (Stirling, 1970s). The service was pretty slow and after a bit of racket from the kitchen the service ground to a halt. The staff had walked out on strike.

Good thread.

Mince pies are excellent, as are sausages wrapped in bacon.

On the day - prawn cocktail, soup, turkey etc with as many roast potatoes as possible, cheeseboard, stovies at night.

Also, going out for Christmas dinner is Tory

I must admit, cheeseboard & port slipped my mind!
Xmas dinner should never, I repeat NEVER be consumed in a restaurant it's all about stuffing your face with no formality. I love the festive food & drink!

I'm also going out for Christmas Dinner this year. First time I have ever done it. Totally dreading the whole experience, It is bad enough spending the day with your own family, that you ignore for the rest of the year, never mind spending it with a bunch of other cunting families.

Turkey is shite so get that to f**k. A nice big ham is the way to go. A lovely big salmon is also desirable.

Obviously pigs in blankets are a must, and anyone who dislikes them is a horse rapist and smells of hammers. The same applies to roast tatties, although they have to be done well, with a nice crispy out coating but lovely and fluffy inside. Soggy efforts with hard bits of potato under the limp skin should see the perpetrator face jail time. The size of them is important here, as is the cooking method and the medium.

Good shout on a cheesboard; it's a must, but the timing is crucial. It can't be right after the dessert; instead it should be later in the evening. Suitable biscuits and crackers should be served with it. There should be a good selection of cheese, not just numerous cheddars. Talking of desserts, traditional christmas pudding is rank, and has no place at a table. It's also far too heavy after what is probably a substantial meal, especially if it's saturated in spirits. A spot of zingy, palate cleansing sorbet is what you're after here. Or an orange Callipo.

I'm not a wine drinker (wine is shite), so if partaking in alcohol it will be beer for me. A nice light refreshing beer is what is needed for dining, so a tasty sharp IPA is the perfect companion. 

Turkey is shite so get that to f**k. A nice big ham is the way to go. A lovely big salmon is also desirable.
Obviously pigs in blankets are a must, and anyone who dislikes them is a horse rapist and smells of hammers. The same applies to roast tatties, although they have to be done well, with a nice crispy out coating but lovely and fluffy inside. Soggy efforts with hard bits of potato under the limp skin should see the perpetrator face jail time. The size of them is important here, as is the cooking method and the medium.
Good shout on a cheesboard; it's a must, but the timing is crucial. It can't be right after the dessert; instead it should be later in the evening. Suitable biscuits and crackers should be served with it. There should be a good selection of cheese, not just numerous cheddars. Talking of desserts, traditional christmas pudding is rank, and has no place at a table. It's also far too heavy after what is probably a substantial meal, especially if it's saturated in spirits. A spot of zingy, palate cleansing sorbet is what you're after here. Or an orange Callipo.
I'm not a wine drinker (wine is shite), so if partaking in alcohol it will be beer for me. A nice light refreshing beer is what is needed for dining, so a tasty sharp IPA is the perfect companion. 

"Horse rapist & smells of hammers" is my favourite ever P&B line.
Chapeau