The Buddies v Dunfermline

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

No way Johnston shows enough spirit to get sent to the stands. He's very much in the "stand with the arms crossed" school.

I'd rather kept himself composed and set an example to his players than run around screaming at officials like a dafty. 

All patter aside our huge slump has ruined what looked like being a decent three/fourway scrap for promotion between some of the somewhat cliched but fairly truthful 'sleeping giants' of the lower leagues which woulda been exciting as f**k for the league and certainly our two teams. Who knows we might claw our way back into it but the way we are playing now this is pretty much a free three points for Saints. 

Not a massive fan of the new stadium in Paisley but every time I've been the pitch has been superb so hopefully get a decent passing game from both squads. Fucking love winter games under the floodlights.

10 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

You may have missed that conversation on here from a few months back, the reminisce about night games under proper pylon floodlights... eg

dens-park-north-stand.jpg

Glorious. Can't understand at all why anyone would want a winter break when we can take it scenes like this! 

37 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Quite like St Mirren's stadium, other than the fact we never seem to win there.

The Challenge Cup defeat remains the worst Pars performance I've ever seen. 

We won and drew there in both fixtures last season. f**k knows when the last win would be before that though. Would take that tomorrow though.

2 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

You may have missed that conversation on here from a few months back, the reminisce about night games under proper pylon floodlights... eg

dens-park-north-stand.jpg

Aye that looks brilliant.....two men and a dug at a game on a freezin Scottish winters night (and to top it off a freezin cold Scottish night in Dundee ) !!!!!

15 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Aye that looks brilliant.....two men and a dug at a game on a freezin Scottish winters night (and to top it off a freezin cold Scottish night in Dundee ) !!!!!

In fairness it is the pre-match warm up!!

I'd go for broke on this one.

As Higginbotham has been off form I'd put the pressure on him to be the centre of midfield attacking playmaker. He'll either shine or get subbed at half time. But it was about this time last season he came onto a game. Reason for dropping Clark. Keep the strikers keen. If you've not scored by half time you're getting hooked.

Murdoch

Williamson
Morris
Ashcroft
Talbot

Aird
Wedderburn
Higginbotham
Cardle

Smith
McManus

Prediction playing this 0-4.

I'm just looking for an improved performance tomorrow.

I wasn't at Tannadice (there's suggestions we did ok there) but since we lost to United in September, our performances have steadily dropped. The confidence of the team has dipped and I can't fathom why it is to the extent that players who you look upon as being reliable are making the most basic of errors in defence, their control of the ball or when passing it.

I have no idea whether the team should go baws oot attacking or play a more defensive game and flood the midfield. I want to see some evidence that they've had a look at the Queens game and have worked on things in training to improve individually and collectively.

If we do that and can freshen things up in January, I might have a bit of belief again that we can reach the play-offs. But it's going to take a big performance because our form over the last couple of months hasn't been good.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Fair point as you can probably tell I'm very much a Saturday 3.00pm type of guy and I'm all for more games in the better weather months rather than the depths of winter.

not a romantic then either, BJK? - you don't find this evocative of your fledgling years at the footy?  Midweek/winter games seemed to have an atmosphere completely different to Saturday afternoons -  Dens, Rugby Park, Somerset, Tynecastle, East End for instance,  all looked better at night; amplifying the crowd noise, getting drawn toward the pylon floodlights standing up in the dark sky, the light catching everyone's breath in the cold air... etc etc. (And then back to the pub/supporter's bus after to thaw out.)  Character-building, so it was.      

Floodlights at night.jpg

Archived