Junior Clubs in the Senior Pyramid

Don't get carried away. Those attendances are the high water mark. If Linlithgow played Forfar in a league game it would  be significantly less.
Spot on. That game and the game vs Raith were our biggest home gates in recent history.

Out average if we are playing well is around the 300-400 mark I reckon.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Again I'm not arguing with you (overall) but these players don't become bad players as soon as they sign for a Junior club. Gordon Pope played (and started) 32 / 36 games for Ayr in his sole season at Somerset so it's not like he was a bit part player that couldn't make the cut.

I don't think at any point I said 'Player X played for X therefore is of that standard' - for the 3rd time, 'to a greater or lesser extent'. Just a few at random: Willie Lyle, nearly 300 league apps and only 33, kevin Watt is now 28 but has 127 senior apps / 22 goals - this is his 4th year Junior, at Pollok Evans, McCluskey and Gallacher (26-28 in age range) all well capable of playing L2 and have 350 league apps between them. there are others. A good number on the list made fleeting appearances and moved on. But many others were key players for their club and dropped down in their prime or before. Playing nationally as a part-timer is not for everyone.

Gordon Pope was also a fine player at Montrose in League Two; he would have had a much longer spell at Links Park were it not curtailed by serious injury.

19 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Don't get carried away. Those attendances are the high water mark. If Linlithgow played Forfar in a league game it would  be significantly less.

Not the first couple of games. A lot of people put in extra effort to make a game if it is new opposition. After a few games the novelty does wear off. Whether the figure is 1000 who knows but you know what I saying.

Archived