Hungary vs Scotland Tues 27th March

Gordopolis

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

He didn't though.  That's just a thing folk keep saying in the hope that repeating it will make it true.

fletcher himself admitted to putting pressure on himself to be a more creative player for scotland though 

"You've got the majority of the ball [playing for United] and sometimes [with Scotland] that's not going to be the case," Fletcher told BBC Scotland's Sportsound.

"Maybe in the United team, he's not the one that's looked for to be creating and scoring goals and you don't want that responsibility to fall on him.

"Maybe I felt that a little bit - you have to do something in the game, you have to create, you have to score, you have to show you're a good passer. All of a sudden you're putting pressure on yourself to win the game single-handedly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43292173

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

McTominay impressed me a lot more than McGinn did anyway. McGinn run about like a Duracell bunny on speed fouling everything that moved in his 100 minutes on the park. Not saying he was bad but I just don’t get it.

McTominay took and offered for the ball at every opportunity and used it well, few good defensive tracking runs to boot, just a shame that we were so humpty slow and pedestrian going forward against Costa Rica.

Bit harsh that on McGinn imo. Thought he was a real presence against Hungary and his range of passing was impressive.

Can’t really judge his 10mins against Costa Rica tbh.

I reckon he’ll be starting midfield most games for Scotland. He’s exactly what we need- pace, power and abit of quality in the middle. McTominay is a kid and his time will come, hopefully.

16 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Fletcher was exactly the same for us and United. He scored a few cracking long range goals for United too by the way the one v city stands out and sure he had one at OT v Arsenal too, plus his passing was probably his main strength. Very similar to Carrick, maybe not quite on the same level technique wise but a bit more industrious. He was an excellent player for us in his prime, it’s a real shame he had that illness never the same after it.

He wasn't, his own admission below shows this. He did score odd long ranger but he was hardly known for it, his goal record shows he was hardly known for goals at all. His passing whilst decent was mainly 5-15 yard passing at Man U as he had the likes of Carrick/Scholes in the team who would dictate the play instead of him. His role at Man U was a bit like Brown with Celtic and Scotland, another player with a high pass success  rate but knew his limitations for Club and Country. I do iterate that I don’t think Fletcher was a bad player for Scotland he just tried to do too much, more out of frustration than having an ego or anything like that.  

15 hours ago, jake. said:

fletcher himself admitted to putting pressure on himself to be a more creative player for scotland though 

"You've got the majority of the ball [playing for United] and sometimes [with Scotland] that's not going to be the case," Fletcher told BBC Scotland's Sportsound.

"Maybe in the United team, he's not the one that's looked for to be creating and scoring goals and you don't want that responsibility to fall on him.

"Maybe I felt that a little bit - you have to do something in the game, you have to create, you have to score, you have to show you're a good passer. All of a sudden you're putting pressure on yourself to win the game single-handedly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43292173

Scholes definitely, but no way Carrick was better than peak Fletcher

I don't know you can compare them though.

Peak Carrick controlled football games, very much like Paul scholes.

Fletch was much more of a destroyer. He was outstanding that year when he was suspended for the cl final against Barca. Pundits genuinely thought he was the reason united didn't get going in that match (which in itself is a massive compliment).

But he wasn't dictating play, and instead much more focused on breaking up the opposition, and keeping it simple. I'm sure he did feel under added pressure to create for Scotland. But he was still a very good performer over the years.

I don't know you can compare them though.

Peak Carrick controlled football games, very much like Paul scholes.

Fletch was much more of a destroyer. He was outstanding that year when he was suspended for the cl final against Barca. Pundits genuinely thought he was the reason united didn't get going in that match (which in itself is a massive compliment).

But he wasn't dictating play, and instead much more focused on breaking up the opposition, and keeping it simple. I'm sure he did feel under added pressure to create for Scotland. But he was still a very good performer over the years.

(Apologies for spelling of players names up front) That first Barcelona goal would never have happened if fletch was playing. The way innestia ghosted past Carrick and Anderson would not have been allowed. In that season (2011) I think you can only measure Fletcher in terms of his peers at the time ie Mascharano and Song. At that point Fletcher was better imo

Archived