Disgrace of Scottish TV rights

3 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

I haven't a clue for any of your questions emoji102.png

Thanks for a straight answer.

It'd genuinely be good to see exactly what kind of coverage the Scottish game gets abroad although I have a horrible feeling we'd all be able to guess.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

It'd genuinely be good to see exactly what kind of coverage the Scottish game gets abroad although I have a horrible feeling we'd all be able to guess.

I've witnessed first hand children wearing Scottish football strips in the Philippines. Not sure if that's an indicator or just a part of the relief effort.

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

Your right that it would be good, but since those running the game only brag about the number of countries seeing our game and not the layout of it, it likely its only 2 certain teams that get shown.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

The slot was Saturday at something like 5:35pm for a few seasons around the turn of the century, maybe even up until we lost the Sky deal and ended up with BBC showing a game on a Sunday afternoon. 

Nah, I'm talking about fairly recently. I'm 99% sure there was a St Johnstone game shown on a Saturday evening, but I've found absolutely nothing on it. I may be going insane :lol: 

10 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Nah, I'm talking about fairly recently. I'm 99% sure there was a St Johnstone game shown on a Saturday evening, but I've found absolutely nothing on it. I may be going insane :lol: 

Hearts v Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup was shown Saturday 5.30pm on the BBC a few seasons back. 

Just now, The Master said:

Hearts v Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup was shown Saturday 5.30pm on the BBC a few seasons back. 

I'd completely forgotten about that, actually. Not sure why it hasn't been carried on.

I've found the mystery one though :lol: 

http://www.skysports.com/football/st-jstone-vs-ross-co/289495

Quotes of "Saturday night" and "this evening" have reassured me. 

The general P&B opinion is that BT sports genuinely cares about Scottish football, I can't see how they'd try to shaft us.

To be fair I don’t think that BT Sport care about Scottish football financially, I think they just understand that they might as well talk the game up to attract more viewers whereas Sky seem to make it a bit of a joke which the reasoning behind I will never understand. I watch a lot of F1 which is (if you include practice, qualifying and the large number of boring races) quite a lot of shite but you would never hear Sky saying “well this is what you would expect with these cars - a poor standard”.

I think BT, being a business, would happily take our rights for £1 they could. They certainly don’t seem to have the same approach as Sky/EPL which has always been, in my view, the more money we give them the better players they can sign and in turn the more people will watch.

This is off-topic but the thing that really annoyed me with the SPFL is that they try to brand themselves exactly the same as England, most recently with the Premiership/Championship/League 1/2 etc. That was a real chance to differentiate ourselves from their game but, to someone dropping in from the moon, you would just compare the 2 leagues with the same name from different countries and say that one down there is great and the one up the top is terrible.

I really don’t know what Doncaster and co were thinking of with the branding.....did they think some idiot running a TV company would be confused by the copycat names and just throw hundreds of millions at us?

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

In Australia they showed basically every single game that was televised here in Scotland.

14 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

This is off-topic but the thing that really annoyed me with the SPFL is that they try to brand themselves exactly the same as England, most recently with the Premiership/Championship/League 1/2 etc. That was a real chance to differentiate ourselves from their game but, to someone dropping in from the moon, you would just compare the 2 leagues with the same name from different countries and say that one down there is great and the one up the top is terrible.

Yeah that grinds my ones also. I find that our marketing and promotion of our product to be very woeful.  We should've taken the chance when there was the last restructuring to have our own identity, shout and scream how great it really is. Even our own BBC Scotland get the name of the top league wrong. If they can't get it right then how will anyone outside.

Alba show reruns of a Saturday afternoon game on Saturday evening

Archived