The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I don’t think anyone would be remotely unhappy at finishing 6th or 7th.  But that’s not where we’re heading right now.

I would probably accept fifth if we had a good go at the play offs. 

With the apparent budget provided to Kerr I wouldn’t be remotely happy with 6th or 7th to be honest. 

10 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Right okay, this is our third season in the Championship, the last 2 seasons we were comfortable top 4. Now with Mark Kerr's first full season, we don't look anyway near that. 

Whilst 6th or 7th may not be the worst position in the world, I can honestly see us slipping away from those positions at the current rate. 

Interviews since Kerr became manager has been him saying that he done a lot of coaching before getting the job and it's just so happens that we've just played our first game in 2021.

We're not in a better position than a lot of clubs that are similar sized, you just have to look at Livingston and Hamilton for that.   

You conveniently forgot to mention that the team with Rose, Shankland, Crawford, Forrest and the rest was the stuff of generations, whether you like it or not. We weren't in a position to offer them security, like we are now, and they left for pastures new. 

Nobody knows what the rest of the season will hold, changing managers isn't always the answer. Especially when there aren't ready made replacements waiting in the wings. Just a few weeks ago there were buds of growth with this squad, suddenly its time for a change. 

Its all about results, I know that, but on balance its not the right time for change despite what those with the Kerr voodoo dolls may think. 

Ask Falkirk or Partick fans if they'd swap our position for there's. Its a bad run of results, not the end of the world. 

Edited by BukyOHare

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

With the apparent budget provided to Kerr I wouldn’t be remotely happy with 6th or 7th to be honest. 

Bet you’d take it right now.  I’m properly terrified of a relegation play off against Partick.  

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

You would accept 5th but not 6th. What if the difference in that position was a point or a goal? 

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You would accept 5th but not 6th. What if the difference in that position was a point or a goal? 

No I wouldn’t  accept 6th. Makes no difference whatsoever if a solitary point or goal separates  it as you have all season to ensure that doesn’t happen. We shouldn’t be finishing below a newly promoted team, Morton, Queens, Arbroath or Alloa with our budget this season. 

I think we should be challenging the rest bar Hearts but can accept finishing below them. 5th is our bang average season this year. 

22 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

As things stand this is just our 3rd season back in the Championship. Progress for us has to be seen to be stabilising, building and hopefully in time trying to build for promotion (via the playoffs probably). 

The club now being financially able means we can offer 2 year contracts which are huge at our level of the game, regardless of what others may say. 

A season finishing 6th or 7th doesn't suddenly mean the wheels are off the bogey. Setbacks happen at all levels of the game. Poor results and performances will occur, it's upto the management team to put things right and make the decisions that need made in the short term. Its the directors who make the long term decisions. 

Recent interviews would indicate that Kerr knows this and will try to implement change. We'll see. If it's not working then the time to change the manager isn't after the first game of a New Year. 

Its not been an overwhelming season, I get that, but what can't be denied is that there's always a bigger picture and we're in a far better position than a lot of "bigger" or similarly sized clubs than ourselves. 

Unfortunately based on performances when you offer them to players like Michael Miller and Joe Chalmers (+ a fee) it becomes more of an issue than a benefit.

I agree that we want to stabilise ourselves as a Championship club and try and build something but realistically our only sellable asset in Luke McCowan is out of contract at the end of the season. No idea how likely he'd be to stay if Premiership clubs were interested.

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

No I wouldn’t  accept 6th. Makes no difference whatsoever if a solitary point or goal separates  it as you have all season to ensure that doesn’t happen. We shouldn’t be finishing below a newly promoted team, Morton, Queens, Arbroath or Alloa with our budget this season. 

I think we should be challenging the rest bar Hearts but can accept finishing below them. 5th is our bang average season this year. 

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with you. If budgets are to be believed, then I would agree 5th for us this season would be the footballing equivalent of par. 

The caddy shouldn't get sacked if a bogey or double bogey happens though. 

11 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

Of course things are better than they have been at points during the last 15 years. And yes the last few seasons have been unusually exciting. But you saying that we've made no upwards progress for the past 35 years is very depressing.

We as supporters, and a club need to have more ambition! Look at Livingston, top half of the Premiership after beating Hibs 3-0 today, and they've been up and down the leagues over the past two decades. Meanwhile we've done absolutely nothing. Of course things were very grim financially after Barr and we suffered, but since then we've made no progress. I'm defining progress by league positions by the way.

Livingston have been bankrupt on umpteen occasions, they were Ferranti, Meadowbank, then Livi, they had no real support or history, however the rules permitted them to write off debt, screw people over and keep coming back for more. They make Rangers look lily white !!

We were also left behind as we didn't receive any big cash injections from Supermarket chains or property developers, nor could we take advantage of a generous Gov grant scheme for a new stadium, all these things have held us back but then again it nearly killed Airdrie and hit Raith and Dunfermline pretty hard and at least Somerset is still ours. We were also on the wrong side of league reconstruction and missed out on the big cash and closed shop that was reserved for the then top tier sides, so in many ways things have conspired against us, but then, we're not alone in that.

I agree though we've had nearly 20 years in the wilderness but believe that we're still on an upward trajectory as a club despite the recent setbacks on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with you. If budgets are to be believed, then I would agree 5th for us this season would be the footballing equivalent of par. 

The caddy shouldn't get sacked if a bogey or double bogey happens though. 

Yeah, sacking a different matter!

If Kerr is given money in January and we still spend the season in a relegation battle though then I think Kerr is in trouble. 

9 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Unfortunately based on performances when you offer them to players like Michael Miller and Joe Chalmers (+ a fee) it becomes more of an issue than a benefit.

I agree that we want to stabilise ourselves as a Championship club and try and build something but realistically our only sellable asset in Luke McCowan is out of contract at the end of the season. No idea how likely he'd be to stay if Premiership clubs were interested.

Its all about decent recruitment to justify the two year contract I get that. Not every 2 year contract will be our top earners, the contracts can help build and shape the nucleus of the squad. 

As you've brought him into the conversation, let's not absolve McCowan from this seasons performances and results. 

If there's one player who would typify our game to game inconsistencies then he wouldn't be far away from the front of the queue. 

Edited by BukyOHare

The sobering reality has set in for me.

Up to now I've been preaching results over performances. We haven't been too far away results wise (the fabled 1.5 ppg) but performances have been patchy at best. I still believe rather bizarrely that away to Morton was our most complete performance obviously ignoring the last 7 mins. Other than that we've been playing in patches and its really not been good enough.

That said, all isn't lost and it can still be turned around (with a good January window) but my head & heart are now on the same page in that 4th and the promotion playoffs will probably be out of reach. 

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Up to now I've been preaching results over performances. We haven't been too far away results wise (the fabled 1.5 ppg) but performances have been patchy at best. I still believe rather bizarrely that away to Morton was our most complete performance obviously ignoring the last 7 mins. Other than that we've been playing in patches and its really not been good enough.

That said, all isn't lost and it can still be turned around (with a good January window) but my head & heart are now on the same page in that 4th and the promotion playoffs will probably be out of reach. 

Yes, I'd also agree with this.

Remember the state Dundee were in a few weeks back ? but after stringing a couple of results together they've gone from looking like relegation play off candidates to top 3 contenders, that's how quickly it can all change in this league.

Just now, cop said:

It's essential that Cammy Smith extends his stay but would understand why he wouldn't

I don't think he's got much choice from a financial perspective as can't see anyone paying a wage when he can't play for them until next season, plus United are cutting their wage bill drastically from what I've heard.

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

4th was always going to be a huge achievement, let's be honest about it.