The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

There have been several players available that we haven't signed, we went after the two oldest forwards in the league and failed. 

We are now going in to the season with a forward line that has maybe 10 goals between the three of them. 

Murphy and McGeady aren't front line, regular goal scorers. 

For all we know we’ve tried to get more than Graham and McKay. Fletcher said he had offers in this league but he wasn’t that attracted by them. He’ll maybe sign for someone after the deadline out of desperation but we can’t be hanging around for players when we’re now into must win territory. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Wonder if you will join the rest of us back into the hunt with Ahui looking like a ringer.

Morton fans have as much of an idea as Ayr fans about him, he's not been seen since that game. 

We can't keep signing players to play in place of players already at the club that aren't up to it. We'll be stuck with McCallister and Ahui till Christmas and go in to every game playing teams hammering our right back. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No chance. We’ve effectively got three right backs although one of them is 17 and being courted by Fulham so he might be away tomorrow. 

McAllister is awful and Ahui might well be the same but given we’ve gone to the bother of getting him up here on loan then we’ll give him until January at least. 

We need a striker and I think we’re also after a midfielder after Pendlebury fucked off yesterday. Regardless of what we do, this window won’t be considered a success as Bullen clearly stated he wanted to improve both full backs and we haven’t done anything at left back. There was a rumour that we’d offered Strapp something but he was holding out for something better but given we’ve had to completely overhaul our midfield in the last week then we probably don’t have the money to do that deal. 

Strapp's a strange one. There was talk that he was still injured but he has supposedly had trials at St Mirren and Ireland and nothing has come of it.

He was still training at Morton and been at some of the games (not really a surprise).

Looking less likely he will get a step up.

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Morton fans have as much of an idea as Ayr fans about him, he's not been seen since that game. 

We can't keep signing players to play in place of players already at the club that aren't up to it. We'll be stuck with McCallister and Ahui till Christmas and go in to every game playing teams hammering our right back. 

Still, would be novel to have one.

We have 4 defenders on our books in total and one is the 39 year Kirk Broadfoot and Jack Baird has been injured since pre-season.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

I still clap for them though. So should you.

Again, the domestic signings have outshone the cross border transfers, Stanger, Murphy and McGeady have improved the team immediately. But there is a feeling that the club values the English market more. Chalmers and Mullen outperformed JML, O'Conner and Ashford by some distance.  

Just now, Jamie_M said:

Strapp's a strange one. There was talk that he was still injured but he has supposedly had trials at St Mirren and Ireland and nothing has come of it.

He was still training at Morton and been at some of the games (not really a surprise).

Looking less likely he will get a step up.

Yeah he’s a weird one. He’s highly rated but when I’ve watched him against us I don’t really know what he’s good at. Like a lot of Morton players under Imrie you get the impression they wouldn’t be asked to do the same things at another team so it’s hard to judge them accurately if you know what I mean. He’s not really on the level of other full backs who’ve stood out at this level like Harvie, Smith or Milne. 

He’d still be a considerable upgrade on what we have but I can’t see him coming to us. 

You would maybe want to give one or two wildcards from down south a go each season, but not really any more than that.

There are too many variables involved for it to work out and the balance is always going to edge into the “fail” category - otherwise why are we able to get them in the first place?

10 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

He definitely plays a more watchable game than Bullen.

I too hope that he hasn't went back to that sort of way, he definitely isn't a terrible manager. I'd like to think he'd end up at a reasonable team in Scotland, if not heed Doon shuffling back in at Somerset after Bullen has been carted .....

I've heard a few rumours that he was back on the drink for a while prior to his sacking. It was apparently Archibald and Doolan who were taking the training and he was just waltzing up on a Saturday with little clue as to what had happened during the week.

No idea if True but I heard it from  a couple of different and usually pretty reliable sources.

37 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

There have been several players available that we haven't signed, we went after the two oldest forwards in the league and failed. 

We are now going in to the season with a forward line that has maybe 10 goals between the three of them. 

Murphy and McGeady aren't front line, regular goal scorers. 

I remember similar things were said about Dipo after his first couple of games.....

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I remember similar things were said about Dipo after his first couple of games.....

He was creating chances and coming up with some spectacular howlers in the league cup. He scored in his first league game and went on a run. 

McKenzie and Bryden have not and McKenzie has played over 100 games for the club. Rose hasn't had a shot at goal for 4 games.  

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We have the benefit of hindsight with Dipo in fairness. You can only go on what you've seen so far, I'm sure alot of the naesayers will be delighted if they have egg on their face come Christmas and we've gelled and flown up the table. However, at present things have been looking a bit grim. I said a week or two ago that we aren't the finished article yet, the real concern starts when we are and if things continue to look bleak. 

12 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

We have the benefit of hindsight with Dipo in fairness. You can only go on what you've seen so far, I'm sure alot of the naesayers will be delighted if they have egg on their face come Christmas and we've gelled and flown up the table. However, at present things have been looking a bit grim. I said a week or two ago that we aren't the finished article yet, the real concern starts when we are and if things continue to look bleak. 

In real terms Chalmers hasn't played yet, Murphy has had one game, McGeady and Rose are just getting up to fitness and the new Midfield has just joined.

We've taken 3 points from 9, however one defeat was against the top side and favourites for the league and the other was away to a hard working hungry team who basically outfought us. 

Apart from this we've lost away to a Premier side after beating another Premier side away (and winning our League Cup group) and also beating our bogey team in the league.

The football played in the league games hasn't been great but all the talk of us being doomed is way over the top at the moment. 

Of course the Midfield situation hasn't been great but how can you legislate for your two main Centre Mids getting long term injuries at the same time so early in the season ? 

As I say, we may end up in bother but I firmly believe that most clubs in the league have similar issues (we've already heard from Jamie about Morton's defensive issues) and given our quality up top I've every faith that we WILL come good, however there's no guarantee it will be in the next week or two !!

1 hour ago, AUFC 1910 said:

You would maybe want to give one or two wildcards from down south a go each season, but not really any more than that.

There are too many variables involved for it to work out and the balance is always going to edge into the “fail” category - otherwise why are we able to get them in the first place?

It really does feel like Glendinning & Mathie moneyball at the moment.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

If they are good enough they are old enough. 

And if they are it will still take a few weeks to get them up to speed and integrated into the squad. Who knows what state we will be in by then. We will need to go on some mad run at some point to make up for it.

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

And if they are it will still take a few weeks to get them up to speed and integrated into the squad. Who knows what state we will be in by then. We will need to go on some mad run at some point to make up for it.

Not really, back to back wins in this league generally rockets you up the table.

I suppose it also depends on what you're expecting from this season ?

Promotion ? Play offs ? mid table ? avoid the relegation play off ?

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It really does feel like Glendinning & Mathie moneyball at the moment.

It could be worse, we could have Chelsea's recruitment team.....

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Not really, back to back wins in this league generally rockets you up the table.

I suppose it also depends on what you're expecting from this season ?

Promotion ? Play offs ? mid table ? avoid the relegation play off ?

Well atm it's a No, No, Maybe, Yes.