The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

He was manager under one manager, he was only assistant for two years until Steve Bruce came in. In that time, they were mostly filler in the Championship. 

Dodds coached in the Premier league, having played at the top level in Scotland for 18 years and capped 26 times for Scotland. He has managed at our level for two full seasons, finishing in the top 4 twice, getting to the play-off final once and a Scottish cup final. These are also facts. 

Oh we’re doing playing careers now? Because it’s entirely obvious that Billy Dodds having coaching gigs in the Premiership is in a big part down to having pals as managers like Gordon Chisholm and Jim McIntyre. 

Dodds finished in the playoffs once btw. 

9 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Surely folk talking about Dodds and Yogi is a reflection on just shite Bullen is and how utterly screwed we appear to be.

I am just paying devils advocate, Inverness fans didn't like Dodds but from the outside, he was more than above average at this level. Especially when you consider the reported financial problems they had. 

Similarly, You could look at Ayr finishing second last season and think Ayr fans were ungrateful in the same way. Something clearly wasn't right, I am just calling out people who say they wouldn't take him based on what Inverness fans say, I am sure Forrest Green fans weren't complementary about Duncan Ferguson when he left. 

There is also the, I wouldn't take McCall, Robertson etc, You want rid of Bullen, who do you bring in? realistically, that is going to perform better than Bullen if you don't want either of those two? who do you think would be better? and what backs that up

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Oh we’re doing playing careers now? Because it’s entirely obvious that Billy Dodds having coaching gigs in the Premiership is in a big part down to having pals as managers like Gordon Chisholm and Jim McIntyre. 

Dodds finished in the playoffs once btw. 

His playing career in Scotland is completely irrelevant to him being a coach in Scotland?

There is a part of me that would like to see how McCall handled coming back. He created a real siege mentality around the club and everyone was pulling in the same direction. Ironically the hashtag the club use has never been more in play than when McCall had us between 2017 till he left. The club has arguably been pretty disjointed since he left. 

39 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ultimately I don’t think a new manager is something we’ll have to consider for a while yet. He won’t be sacked and seems incapable of admitting/realising he’s got it wrong so won’t walk. I reckon it’ll take us being in the bottom two and a four or five point gap opening up before the pressure gets too much for Smith. 

Smith is a successful businessman so sentiment won't come into the decision making. He's ruthless. Bullen will get the bullet before we are 5 points adrift of 8th place.

26 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Surely folk talking about Dodds and Yogi is a reflection on just shite Bullen is and how utterly screwed we appear to be.

Fwiw, I was just throwing his name out there. Not champing at the bit for Yogi to come breenging in.

In any case It’s about as valid a suggestion as the procession of has-beens that’ve been thrown about on this thread as prospective appointments to a job that isn’t even up for grabs. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

So he was only a coach/manager because he was pals with some folk?

Quite the stance. 

You are aware this is how a good percentage of players end up in coaching positions? 

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

Last Ayr United manager to reach the semi-final of a cup competition, only losing to an extra-time goal that should never have stood. ✅

Turned Somerset Park into a #Fortress, going a full league campaign unbeaten at home ✅

Currently unemployed ✅

Bring him home.

Brian_Reid_1(3).jpg.ec6fbea2d66112d223c0c30d99c6bb2a.jpg

I’d second that! Brought a bit of dignity back to a club that was in free fall at the time. Bring him back for round 2. 

1 minute ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Fwiw, I was just throwing his name out there. Not champing at the bit for Yogi to come breenging in.

In any case It’s about as valid a suggestion as the procession of has-beens that’ve been thrown about on this thread as prospective appointments to a job that isn’t even up for grabs. 

Hughes has been a basketcase in his last two jobs, Got a Raith team relegated in bizarre circumstances and then took over at Dunfermline and got them relegated. All he had was - He'll not let players give less that 100% Those two teams proved that this isn't true. He isn't thought of fondly at any of the clubs he's been at. 

Robertson & McCall are not in that category. Bearing in mind, McCall got Thistle relegated. 

11 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

There is also the, I wouldn't take McCall, Robertson etc, You want rid of Bullen, who do you bring in? realistically, that is going to perform better than Bullen if you don't want either of those two? who do you think would be better? and what backs that up

You can legitimately want Bullen gone and have no idea who should replace him. I am in that camp.

There will be many applicants, I would roll the dice. I doubt the owner/DoF want the hassle. As long as we stay in the Championship for the opening of the new stand they will probably be happy. Is it good enough? The owner seems to be gambling that people will buy season tickets regardless of what is served up on the pitch. He may be right.