The Queen's Park 2018-19 Thread

Best news of the week for me is the "signing" of Mark Roberts as assistant coach. For several seasons now we've been dreaming of a guy with silver boots bursting the net weekly but collectively it's the midfield who have struggled to make a contribution. Hopefully, with an experienced striker to give them some practical lessons we'll see more goals like Roberts' yesterday.  Well done Gus!

image.png.a4ed4b43c4b3c1dd348d4b6eda5d3672.png

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

Best news of the week for me is the "signing" of Mark Roberts as assistant coach. For several seasons now we've been dreaming of a guy with silver boots bursting the net weekly but collectively it's the midfield who have struggled to make a contribution. Hopefully, with an experienced striker to give them some practical lessons we'll see more goals like Roberts' yesterday.  Well done Gus!
Mark Roberts single-handedly masked what a woefully inept manager Barry Ferguson was during his year with us. Brilliant appointment for you guys. Game changer imo

4 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

A fleeting thought, but perhaps a candidate to be next manager. Gus has been around for nearly five years, which is a long time in this day and age. Roberts has experience, albeit not overly successful, but it’s certainly something that crossed my mind.

2 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

What’s people’s obsession with getting rid of Gus?!

I was actually pondering whether or not he'd be a decent replacement for McCann. I take it he's not done anything near good?

6 minutes ago, NathanQP said:

What’s people’s obsession with getting rid of Gus?!

I don’t want rid of him. I’ve backed him from the start and still do. It was merely something that had crossed my mind when an ex-manager with league experience at a decent sized club joined the staff.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I was actually pondering whether or not he'd be a decent replacement for McCann. I take it he's not done anything near good?

Depends on who you ask. We were bottom of League Two when he joined and he finished 2nd in his first season, promoted the next year, highest league finish in a generation the season after. Relegated last season, but the nature of the beast means we’ll always come back down sooner rather than later after promotion.

He’s done well enough for me and I don’t think anyone could have done a better job with what he’s had at his disposal. He’s seen, unfairly in my view, as an unfashionable coach, so I suspect the chances of him getting a full-time gig might be remote. He’s stuck with us like Father Ted on Craggy Island.

Best pubs around Hampden then? Going to get through early and walk down from Queen Street so fancy taking in a few pubs towards the ground. Hopefully you plucky amateur fans have a few suggestions. Looking for one in particular my old man ‘remembers’ from the late 80s but he can’t think where so hopefully he’s not going senile and we find it.

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

Best pubs around Hampden then? Going to get through early and walk down from Queen Street so fancy taking in a few pubs towards the ground. Hopefully you plucky amateur fans have a few suggestions. Looking for one in particular my old man ‘remembers’ from the late 80s but he can’t think where so hopefully he’s not going senile and we find it.

Muzza, don't want to spoil you and yer da's walk, but mind what's taking place the following day and be careful to either not show your blue top and scarf, or have the Cowdenbeath or Blue Brazil bit clearly visible.  Sad to say in this day and age, but there are pubs on your route where if your blue gear gets mistaken you'll either be welcomed in with "drinks on the house" or ..................well let's not go there other than to say that there's one pub in particular in Cathcart Road that has "previous" as recently as three years ago................'nuff said?

46 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

So the SFA still can't decide whether to stay or go. What a shambles.

It’s eat shite or die time for us. They’ll be spending the next seven days trying to f**k us over or they’ll threaten to walk. An extension of recent times, basically.

It’s eat shite or die time for us. They’ll be spending the next seven days trying to f**k us over or they’ll threaten to walk. An extension of recent times, basically.
Correct. Absolute wallopers. The football masterminds behind the likes of Cove and Alloa flapping about just as they did with the national team manager's job.

2 hours ago, The Spider said:

spot on, but I suspect we're only another defeat away from a repeat

always felt it was the same with Spiers after hed been at Hampden for a while (before the awful last six months), a defeat or two and there would be over the top posts calling for him to go.