Forfar Athletic News 2018 onwards

Ross MacLean is a tremendous player on his day. It's just that the longer he was a Sons player, the less frequent that day was. In his first season it was maybe one in six. But he was probably one of the few players to come out of the relegation season with credit. He got nine goals, a good number of assists and generally contributed far more than 90% of that squad.

The next season I really thought he'd rip up League Two. But suddenly his good games became, maybe 1 in 10/12. Last season he was superb against Stenny as we ran them ragged at Ochilview. But that was about it. He wasn't featuring much when he stepped away from football, and I think it felt like it was best for everyone that he moved on. I'm absolutely astounded we got a fee for him. That's the best business we've done in years.

He's predominantly a left-winger, but we also used him up front a fair bit. On his good days he's very, very direct. Excellent in the air, will work himself into the ground and be very positive - always looking to get shots away. He's a decent finisher too.

The rest of the time? Well he's just a lower league winger. A bit predictable, loses possession and floats out of games. And unfortunately that's how he was for 95% of last season.

If you want something to enjoy though, then the highlights from our win at Stenny will show him at his best.

57 minutes ago, Neilly said:

A fee for the bang average Ross McLean?

Utter madness from Uncle Ray.

They never say what the fee is. Perhaps it's two cans of Irn-Bru and a Saddlers Bridie?

41 minutes ago, Bridie Vision said:

They never say what the fee is. Perhaps it's two cans of Irn-Bru and a Saddlers Bridie?

Poor business if Dumbarton have allowed a saddlers Bridie instead of McLarens or Camerons Bridie. 

7 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

These 3 signings so far are very underwhelming.

Don’t think I’ll be reaching to the wallet for a season ticket any time soon….

Whilst some will shoot down the negativity, I couldn't agree more.

I still cannot understand what they see in McKinnon. I understand sacking him means paying him, but the losses in the long term by keeping him could be more substantial.

Combine a ST price increase with Ray McKinnon building a squad and you're asking for folk to stay away.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Loon From Outta Toon said:

These 3 signings so far are very underwhelming.

Don’t think I’ll be reaching to the wallet for a season ticket any time soon….

Will defend Mitch and say he’s pretty good. Improved a lot over this season and can play at left back as well if need be. No one is beating him in a sprint either so you’ll have someone exciting to watch at least

Edited by CrispyMelon

27 minutes ago, May Rckinnon said:

I still cannot understand what they see in McKinnon. I understand sacking him means paying him, but the losses in the long term by keeping him could be more substantial.

Don't think anyone disagrees with that, I said it on here plenty times.

I just think it's important we don't tar everything with the same brush and try and reset for the new season. the season ticket increase has been coming £190 was really reasonable as it was already and now it being £220 you're still about £12 per game.

I get that we want to be signing guys from higher up or standout attacking players but so far I'll take 3 proven players in this league who all seem to be quite physical guys at a good age, its also only the 8th June some clubs haven't even announced their retained list yet.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

Don't think anyone disagrees with that, I said it on here plenty times.

I just think it's important we don't tar everything with the same brush and try and reset for the new season. the season ticket increase has been coming £190 was really reasonable as it was already and now it being £220 you're still about £12 per game.

I get that we want to be signing guys from higher up or standout attacking players but so far I'll take 3 proven players in this league who all seem to be quite physical guys at a good age, its also only the 8th June some clubs haven't even announced their retained list yet.

Surely you can understand after the last 5 years it's incredibly difficult to be remotely optimistic about anything churned out at Station Park? 

The players we've signed already tell you how we'll set up for the season, the same as the last campaign. McKinnon is living off of his name at this point, hasn't actually achieved all that much & clearly thought he'd be away by now.

As for the price increase, yes the old price was reasonable & yes £30 is a reasonable increase, but when is anyone ever happy about anything going up in price? It's still £30. Also shows the sad state of affairs in our game when a ST works out to £12 a game in L2 & it sounds reasonable

fwiw, a price increase would've been a lot more palatable if the club would stop behaving like everything is fine. The constant rhetoric last season of maintaining we weren't actually shit was laughable.

Edited by May Rckinnon