Punditwatch 2018

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mccoist and champion feel totally natural. Sort of feels like they’re sitting watching as mates making the odd comment. The 2 on currently (pearce, murphy) are dull and don’t know when to shut up. Let the pictures do most the talking!

Pearce has fucking lost it.
Aliens, Smash.
See once England get started in a tournament, the c***s cant hide their utter boredum at being involved with anything else.

See also once England are imevitably papped.

This Salah wankfest is also vomit inducing

McCoist is good as a commentator. He’s at least articulate and engages in serious discussions until someone like Lawrence who just waffles away until someone corrects him.

Jonathan Pearce is the voice of Robot Wars, nothing else.

Danny Murphy has the drawl of someone sitting a few tables away at a pub you're not totally familiar with who you don't want sitting next to you know he'll use the phrase "it's straight bananas, innit?" to justify his Brexit vote.

more with regard to a channel as a whole, rather than specific pundits:

i'm sure we can all agree that ITV is the channel for low-brow housewives, the terminally unemployed and general fuckwits but, obviously, it has to be tolerated for the duration of the world cup

what's particularly irritating is the pointless "introduction" to the ITV player, where the coloured balls swirl round the logo for a bit before falling in to position and some generically pleasant female voice says "come inside" in an unalluring manner

this would be more engaging if instantly recognisable voices said more impactful (leave it) phrases - cerys matthews and "i'm dirty", or nigella lawson with "firm baps" for instance

do P&B'ers have any other potential female voice-over favourites, and pithy two or three-word phrases that would grab their attention ?

Every time these cretins say 'the flag stays down' or 'he was offside there, the linesman's missed that,' I want to put my foot through the TV. How can they not understand that linesmans have been told to let play go on and settle it with VAR? It was highly publicised before it and it's really just common sense.

Have heard it over and over again

Every game that I've see that ally mccoist has commentated on he has been desperate for teams to go for the long ball instead of trying to play decent football. No wonder we're shite at football in this country when that's the mentality of the people involved!

I don't listen to too much of the punditry, the bits I've caught it's the same as usual Lee Dixon, Gary Neville and Roy Keane the best ones. Martin Keown and Matthew Upson are really poor.

I'm no sure if it has been pointed out but Ally McCoist has been the best co-commentator at the tournament, he's been excellent.

McCoist has been the best by a distance, but I've found Champion a bit poor next to him.  He always sounds to me like he's barely tolerating him.  Like everyone's been told the template is Lawrenson, and if anyone shows a bit of enthusiasm, they're to be shunned.  A lot of the time Champion will say something, Ally will offer something typically cheeky chappy, withering retort back, then a long silence.  Might just be how it's coming across, because looking at twitter they seem to be having a lovely time, but it seemed like that last night.

It's quite sad that just getting a guy who seems to be enjoying what he's doing puts him way above the typical "safe hands".

13 hours ago, spud131 said:

Every game that I've see that ally mccoist has commentated on he has been desperate for teams to go for the long ball instead of trying to play decent football. No wonder we're shite at football in this country when that's the mentality of the people involved!

He certainly said that in the game last night, but that was because Poland were absolutely hopeless, and Lewandowski was struggling to do anything.  They went long once and got a chance.  Bit unfair to say that's his mentality when he was positively tumescent at the passes for Colombia's goal(s).  

Separate post, so forgive me, but I've always wondered with the rise in some very decent unofficial podcasts like the Terrace, the Football Ramble,etc, would there be anything to stop someone like that doing some kind of commentary option?  I assume there is, and it's licensing that would stop it, but I'd like to see some kind of "other" option for commentary.  Fair enough have the standard "voice of the channel" stuff where Guy Mowbray sits with whatever greeting faced ex-pro they can drag away from the bottle of pills, but employ a second option that's a bit more fun.  I don't particularly need a TV commentator telling me what's going on when I'm actually watching it, and a lot of the time they're not really saying anything anyway.  I would listen to it if they were offering something a bit more than that though.  

Or go full WWE and get a two man team with a straight-laced face commentator and then a proper heel next to him.  Think John Champion trying to describe the action while Ally McCoist extols the virtue of diving, and talks about that if he had the chance, he'd fucking deck Ronaldo with one punch.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

Separate post, so forgive me, but I've always wondered with the rise in some very decent unofficial podcasts like the Terrace, the Football Ramble,etc, would there be anything to stop someone like that doing some kind of commentary option?  I assume there is, and it's licensing that would stop it, but I'd like to see some kind of "other" option for commentary.  Fair enough have the standard "voice of the channel" stuff where Guy Mowbray sits with whatever greeting faced ex-pro they can drag away from the bottle of pills, but employ a second option that's a bit more fun.  I don't particularly need a TV commentator telling me what's going on when I'm actually watching it, and a lot of the time they're not really saying anything anyway.  I would listen to it if they were offering something a bit more than that though.  

Or go full WWE and get a two man team with a straight-laced face commentator and then a proper heel next to him.  Think John Champion trying to describe the action while Ally McCoist extols the virtue of diving, and talks about that if he had the chance, he'd fucking deck Ronaldo with one punch.

Sky used to have an option for fan commentary (a fan from each side playing sat together). It was often very amusing, especially when one team was getting pumped 

I particularly enjoyed hearing Ally McCoist talk about how enthralled he was visiting the mosque before going to the stadium to commentate. I can just imagine the fat sevco gammons who loved him as a player and the "I love bacon don't like it then f**k off" brigade having simultaneous heads-gone moments all around the country.

Very pleasing indeed.

Archived