Gaelic Gaelic

59 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Pronunciation is quite hard isn't it. I'm doing Duolingo but second guessing myself - on the 'food' module and I can't help but pronounce idir as basically 'eejit' with a soft t, and is the sound at the end of 'biadh' supposed to be a g sound? That's what it sounds like when the guy says it.

Idir is a very very soft r.

Adh is a g , i rhyme it pretty close to hug.

You quite often hear co-dhiù for “anyway” or ok ma-thà for “right then” or seadh for a general “yes, ok, aye”.

Haven’t watched DIY le Donnie for a while but it’s good. One of my mates who’s a (Gaelic speaking) joiner reckoned he picked up lots of decent tips from the programme! 

Donnie was in the trailblazing band Na h-Oganaich with his sister Mairead. Well worth looking up, although it’s only a modern remake of their older stuff that’s easily available “Canan nan Gàidheal” is a bit of an anthem. The story behind it and the bard Murdo MacFarlane (the Melbost Bard) is probably still on iPlayer and well worth watching.

Edited by Snobot

I watched the latest one but couldnt pick that up. If you can be arsed saying which episode it was and roughly when i would be happy to look it up on iPlayer.  As snobot says co-dhiù, ma-thà and seadh are all important wee link words.

Seadh in particular is a great one if you dont understand what is being said. Its Gaelic for nod and agree.

Sin e and sin agad e are nice wee phrases just to mean you agree or are positively acknowledging what some has said

Tha mi a' dol leat - i am going with you - I agree.  

You can also just say aye and alright too.

Prepositional pronouns are really important. They can seem daunting at first but they make sense when you start to use them. There are hundreds of them but the examples below should get you seeing the patterns.

Air = on

Aig = at

Ann = in

Aig + mi = agam

Air + mi = orm

Ann + mi = annam

Aig + thu = agad

Air + thu = ort

Ann + thu = annad

Aig + sibh = agaibh

Air + sibh = oirbh

Ann + sibh = annaibh 

3 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

I'm on weather - cannot for the life of me get the difference between sgothach, gaothach, ceothach and reothadh to stick.

Skye is Eilean a Cheò - Misty Isle,

's toil leam reòiteag - i like ice cream

I walked up Sgòr Ghaoithe on a really windy day so that reminds me why it is called that.

Other people suggest visualisation so every time you say the word think of a picture of what its like. Thats how i eventually got sgothach to stick.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished it yesterday but have a few years in the bank already so I can’t really say how it would be as a complete beginner.

It’s excellent in many ways, spelling, accents etc. It is more like a gateway into the language than a means to an end in itself.

There are grammar notes available which look helpful - things like the vocative case, lenition etc must be pretty hard to  fathom at first.

https://duome.eu/tips/en/gd

Co-dhiù, cumaibh oirbh a chàirdean!

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Finding it a real slog to get through clothes/pets/weather.

Still every time I am in the booze aisle and see a bottle of Glayva I think what a silly name for a drink.

It is.

Edinburgh shite, so not from the Heelins or the 'Gale tacht'. Lol 

Your looking at the same shite area that brought you McEwans 😐

Have some non Gaelic language decent shit. Plenty of proper Gaelic at the concerts mind.

Edited by charon