VAR

Dee Man

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

It wasn't brought in to remove controversy, though.  It was brought in to remove bad decisions. That's it.  With the possible exception of last night's hand ball, almost all of the decisions reviewed by VAR have resulted in correct decisions being made, and has also seen bad decisions overturned.

The controversy will always exist, as  well it should.  

The play acting was only really an issue last night, again, due to the poor referee.  I wouldn't suggest this world cup has been any more or less full of simulation than any other.

I haven't watched every game but the Griezmann penalty was a ridiculous decision as was that Iran penalty last night. Both have had massive implications for the teams involved.  Two decisions which were looked at for a long time and still the wrong verdict was reached, Griezmann one especially, if that's a penalty then I'm afraid the game is well and truly a bogey.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I haven't watched every game but the Griezmann penalty was a ridiculous decision as was that Iran penalty last night. Both have had massive implications for the teams involved.  Two decisions which were looked at for a long time and still the wrong verdict was reached, Griezmann one especially, if that's a penalty then I'm afraid the game is well and truly a bogey.

Don't disagree that Iran's wasn't a penalty (although I've seen equally as ridiculous handballs given without VAR), but the Griezmann one was a penalty all day long.  I'd have been fuming if that wasn't given for my team.  Guess we won't agree on this!  

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The Iran penalty can't be blamed on VAR. The ref looked at the video and made the wrong decision. He'd been poor in his previous game and should be on the plane home pronto. VAR should be a great tool for officials but it's the idiots who can't make the right decisions that's the problem.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Don't disagree that Iran's wasn't a penalty (although I've seen equally as ridiculous handballs given without VAR), but the Griezmann one was a penalty all day long.  I'd have been fuming if that wasn't given for my team.  Guess we won't agree on this!  

The Australia one where he clearly gets his toe to the ball before making any contact with the player? Come on, Savage.

The Griezmann penalty was a clear foul for me. The defender getting a touch on the ball was irrelevant as Griezmann played it again after the defender's touch then got wiped out.

The only obviously wrong decisions after going to VAR have been the Iran penalty last night and the Australia penalty against Denmark, which was also for handball. This suggests there's as much of a problem with referees' understanding and application of the handball rule as there is with VAR. Far more wrong decisions have been made right through VAR that would have otherwise been missed. 

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The Australia one where he clearly gets his toe to the ball before making any contact with the player? Come on, Savage.

He got the slightest of touches. So slight Griezman retained control, the defender then caught Griezman. I don't blame the referee, but with the benefit of VAR it's a clear penalty.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

He got the slightest of touches. So slight Griezman retained control, the defender then caught Griezman. I don't blame the referee, but with the benefit of VAR it's a clear penalty.

He regained control? He fell over immediately. The defender played the ball and his momentum tripped Griezmann, we're in danger of outlawing slide tackles if we go down this route IMO.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

He regained control? He fell over immediately. The defender played the ball and his momentum tripped Griezmann, we're in danger of outlawing slide tackles if we go down this route IMO.

The ball was never outwith Griezman's reach when the contact was made.  He would have shot but for the contact.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The ball was never outwith Griezman's reach when the contact was made.  He would have shot but for the contact.

I just cannot agree that's a foul but I appear to be in the minority so I'll shut up.

VAR is awful even when the decision is correct. Stupid pauses and tomfoolery. 

Turning the game into r*gby. Bin it. 

On the flip side, how does one get a job as a 'VAR expert?' 

11 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Aye, was much better when teams were put out of World Cups due to bad refereeing decisions.

Tbf it happens either way. 

22 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Aye, was much better when teams were put out of World Cups due to bad refereeing decisions.

I like VAR and am confident that a team wont lose a WC semi final or final as the result of an offside goal missed by officials OR by having a good goal incorrectly disallowed.

Not a fan of VAR

It isn't the instantaneous decision they stated it would be, breaking up the game too much.

The boundaries of where it is being used seem blurred already, I though tit was for checking goals and 'clear and obvious errors'. Seemed to be over used last night.

As in RL I see a situation arising where on field officials are bottling making decisisions and leaving it to the VAR, too often in RL a try is checked and re-checked where the Ref knows it is a try but wants someone else to make the call, football will go the same.

And if it continues the behaviour of players and managers making the VAR sign and calling for VAR must become a bookable offence.

I take that point, and I don't understand why they even referred the Iran penalty in the first place when it clearly wasn't a handball while the amount of time they took to send the ref to the monitor isn't good enough. Consider the consequences of only having the referee instigate the referral though.
Absolutely everybody but the referee and Mark Lawrenson could see that Portugal's penalty was a stonewaller. The referee was adamant in waving it away when it happened, then needed several replays to make his mind up before giving it when he should have awarded it after watching it back once and seeing that it was a blatant foul.
If the VAR officials didn't have the power to refer the referee to a replay in any circumstance, what would stop a scenario like that where everyone with the benefit of the replay can clearly see the referee has got it wrong, but the referee stubbornly insists he doesn't need to watch the replay?
With the current system a referee can still stick with his original decision if he feels he got right it having been referred to the replay, and I'd suggest if he doesn't have the temperament to go with what he thinks is right under that pressure he has no business being a rop level referee. If it was changed to only allow the referee to instigate it you could have obviously wrong decisions standing due to one referee with an ego stubbornly refusing to use VAR.
To be fair, I did also suggest a challenge system like in tennis or cricket. If Ronaldo (or the Portuguese coach) felt is was a stonewaller they could refer it and get the VAR team to check. If successful they don't lose the challenge.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Yes he got his toe to the ball but after that he brought his other foot up and caught him. Even with video you will still get arguments over incidents like this. 

Archived