Sound Card Problems

Pretty sure I know the problem here it's how to resolve it that I'm struggling with.

Just reformatted and changed my PC from XP Home to XP Pro thought I'd backed up all I needed but now I can't get any sound what-so-ever. If I open a music file (MP3 or WMA) Windows Media Player gives me an error saying the sound device isnt installed or is being used by something else (the error code is - C00D11BA).

From my own basic knowledge and what I guess from googling that error code, I need to install my sound card drivers. Also in the "sound and audio devices" section of my computer no audio device is detected.

To view my sound card I have checked the device manager and under 'Sound, video and game controllers' I have the following -

Audio Codecs

Legacy Audio Drivers

Legacy Video Capture Devices

Media Control Devices

Standard Game Port

Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device

Video Codecs

Which of those (if any) is the one I need to find drivers for?

I have also tried the "add new hardware" feature on control panel and it auto-detects "Multimedia Audio Controller" which appears in device manager under "Other Devices" but it wont install properly as I don't have a disk.

Is it possible to download drivers once I know what I'm looking for or is the fact that I can't find/never owned a drivers disk mean I'm screwed?

Pretty sure I know the problem here it's how to resolve it that I'm struggling with.

Just reformatted and changed my PC from XP Home to XP Pro thought I'd backed up all I needed but now I can't get any sound what-so-ever.  If I open a music file (MP3 or WMA) Windows Media Player gives me an error saying the sound device isnt installed or is being used by something else (the error code is - C00D11BA).

From my own basic knowledge and what I guess from googling that error code, I need to install my sound card drivers.  Also in the "sound and audio devices" section of my computer no audio device is detected.

To view my sound card I have checked the device manager and under 'Sound, video and game controllers' I have the following -

Audio Codecs

Legacy Audio Drivers

Legacy Video Capture Devices

Media Control Devices

Standard Game Port

Unimodem Full-Duplex Audio Device

Video Codecs

Which of those (if any) is the one I need to find drivers for? 

I have also tried the "add new hardware" feature on control panel and it auto-detects "Multimedia Audio Controller" which appears in device manager under "Other Devices" but it wont install properly as I don't have a disk.

Is it possible to download drivers once I know what I'm looking for or is the fact that I can't find/never owned a drivers disk mean I'm screwed?

729431[/snapback]

The Legacy Audio Drivers will be your soundcard. However, without knowing which chipset its got you wont know which drivers to download.

Firstly -

Try this. Personally, it didnt do much for me, but then I already knew what was in my PC :lol: With a bit of luck, it should identify your sound card and point you to where you can download drivers.

If that doesnt work you'll need to identify your card -

Do you know if you have an on-board sound card, or a seperate one plugged into the motherboard? If its on-board and you know what the motherboard is, you should be able to get drivers from the manufacturers web site? If its a plug in one, you can find websites that will help you identify what drivers you need from the reference numbers on the chip.

Give us a shout if you need any help ;)

What cpu do you have? If its intel - and your using onboard it will 90% be the realtek audio driver you need, you can download these Here.

If its an athlon 64, or Athlon XP chip, you can download the integrated chipset and sound drivers from here.

If your using onboard, tell me what the model of it is and ill tell you what you need, but realtek is used on 90% of boards, however if your using a Nforce 2, 3 or 4 chipset, you will want to install all the chipset drivers anyway (same goes for intel, which you can get by searching intel chipset drivers at Intel

If its a seperate sound card - open the box and see what it is, if you have an audigy card, you are in a bit of trouble, as the original driver disk is needed, creative only offer upgrades, so you would have to request another cd, or have someone burn them (no doubt they are somewhere online though, bit of searching required).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived