NCAA Football 2018

Marshmallo

11 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Aye...until the Buckeyes smashed them!
As Iv said Ohio State need Texas to beat Oklahoma and Alabama to beat Georgie to make the playoff.

Aye, they've got a slim chance of making the playoffs. It'll be them interceping Browning multiple times in the Rose Bowl I reckon. 

I like watching the college games but can any Americans or folk living out there explain why the crowds and TV deals are so huge for this and the basketball etc? I get that it's a breeding ground for the NFL/NBA stars of the future and all that, and I can kinda see why the students would maybe want their team to win (especially the frat boy types) but there seem to be a lot of families including kids etc. at college games - surely they don't all go to/have been to the universities involved? Even so, why do they care so much? I always play a pre-season friendly v Heriot-Watt when I play FM and I sometimes look at their results but that's about the limit of my interest.

I like watching the college games but can any Americans or folk living out there explain why the crowds and TV deals are so huge for this and the basketball etc? I get that it's a breeding ground for the NFL/NBA stars of the future and all that, and I can kinda see why the students would maybe want their team to win (especially the frat boy types) but there seem to be a lot of families including kids etc. at college games - surely they don't all go to/have been to the universities involved? Even so, why do they care so much? I always play a pre-season friendly v Heriot-Watt when I play FM and I sometimes look at their results but that's about the limit of my interest.
Because of how US sports work with the franchise system in many places college sports fill the void of professional sports teams where none exist

Huge country, limited number of major league professional teams. The colleges represent the areas/states and its quite strong in places with no pro sports teams like Nebraska, Austin etc. My team UCF target the locals well, plus they have a huge alumni locally too. The college games are quite a good day/night out, tailgating, concerts etc, they sell it as an overall experience and most of them are family friendly. There are certain aspects of it we could learn from and others that just wouldnt catch on over here.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Tradition plays a part, most NFL games are sterile and overpriced (college is getting up there in prices but students get in for a reasonable price and make noise).   College football and to a lesser extent imho basketball are just fun events.

So proud of UCF tonight.

Personally, from seeing them lose to Syracuse in the Citrus Bowl, to beating Baylor in the Chick-fil-a Bowl, the 0-12 season, and now just 1 NY6 Bowl game against the Gators from equaling Nebraska's back to back undefeated seasons record.

They wont make the playoffs - Texas' loss made certain of that - but still...

What a story. What a team

Can only speak for work colleagues in Austin, they get behind the longhorns because they have no local professional teams. They hate Dallas and Houston so they get behind the university of Texas.

I do find it weird that a college/university team can pull 100k fans for every game but Austin has around 2million people so it’s not that much of a %

48 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Alabama are just too good. Although I've said that before and they've lost the National Championship Game. Can Clemson (or Notre Dame) beat them? Can't see Oklahoma doing it if they secure the 4th spot.

Without Tagovailoa Alabama are vulnerable - Hurts is a shite QB if he's made to play as one, and a good team will know that.

If he's fit they are almost out of reach

Without Tagovailoa Alabama are vulnerable - Hurts is a shite QB if he's made to play as one, and a good team will know that.
If he's fit they are almost out of reach
For all Tua being a much better QB than Hurts, that was some performance by the #2 in that 4th Quarter. Two cracking passes and a couple of good yardage rushes. Amazing to think he's not brilliant when you look at his overall records, but then Bama are just too good in regular season play I guess it doesn't count for much until the playoffs/National Championship Game.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I haven't seen any college football this year, but Kyler Murray has signed with Scott Boras and wants to play MLB, rather than in the NFL.   That kid must be cursed with some serious greatness.

He's already been drafted by the Oakland A's. Stated last year that he was always going to play MLB and this would be his last season playing football. 

On 09/12/2018 at 15:25, same_ol_g35 said:

He's already been drafted by the Oakland A's. Stated last year that he was always going to play MLB and this would be his last season playing football. 

Just to add to this. His future in baseball might not be as clear cut as first made out. Despite already recieving 5 million from the Oakland A's after being drafted to them Kyle's Murray's agent is testing the water about his client attending the NFL Scouting Combine.

Edited by same_ol_g35

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, oregonbud said:

Justin Herbert coming back to Oregon for his senior year along with some great new kids next year is going to be an interesting year for the ducks.

Favourites for the Pac-12 IMO with the turnover at Washington and USC still being in a hole.

I think it's been a down year for college football after a brilliant one last year, but thoroughly expecting the playoff to be really good. Clemson-Bama should be something else.