Transport Fever anyone?

Buddist Monk

Anyone play this?

Certainly not a new game but interspersed between recent bouts of Graveyard Keeper I've been playing a lot of Transport Fever. So much so that it's only taken me about 6 months to realise just how everything works. Not the "you need a truck for this, and a bus for that" malarkey but how the underlying economies work.

For those who've never heard of this, then it's essentially the spiritual successor to Transport Tycoon (of Chris Sawyer fame and one of the few "good" Dundonians on the planet.. ;)) and looks a bit like this..

If you like the look of it, then you are in luck as it's a regular in the Steam sales (not now though: https://store.steampowered.com/app/446800/Transport_Fever), it's also got a shit ton of mods available for it.

I wish the detailing was better, similar to Cities:Skylines but overall it's fun if you want a (very) easy challenge and enjoy seeing trains running about the place.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's Graveyard Keeper? Saw that pop up on Steam recently and thought it might be a decent laptop game to play a bit of now and again.

Most of the negative reviews I've seen seem to be complaining about it not being finished, rather than about the actual gameplay.

25 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Graveyard keeper? What, like looking after Graveyards?

Yeah; looks like Stardew Valley and that kind of shit, only with a more macabre sense of humour. Apparently you can dispose of bodies in rivers and stuff like that.

If only we had a poster who, etc etc.

Edit: just noticed it has its own thread, nm.

45 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I tried the predecessor "Train Fever" but got frustrated with it as my trains kept getting stuck no matter how rigidly I followed the tips from other players about signalling

It's not bad in Transport Fever, you just have to understand how the routing wants to work. Can get challenging when you are 20 hours in with as many routes and about 4 times the trains.

The thing about the game I've only really worked out is that you can't change anything, you can only aid it. It's like the map is created fully formed, all trade routes exist virtually between every resource and it's demand. All you do is enable it to work. So if you have a connected system, even if it means swapping between lines or even different types of transport to get from one place to another, then the minute you add a new resource into the system (hook up a train to a coal mine, for example) that resource will get spread to wherever it's needed without you implicitly telling it to so - so long as those destinations are already connected. It makes for interesting gameplay as you spot a rogue batch of logs sitting miles away from any lumberyard that had been delivered via 3 different lines and waiting for a randomly connecting truck route that was set up for something different ages ago.

Archived