Elgin v Cowden

We were doing well and took a deserved lead when Sheerin played an excellent through ball for Cox to slot past keeper.

Elgin grew into the game though and probably deserved an equaliser when a deflected shot fell at Sutherlands feet and he took his time and knocked it past the keeper. We then hung on til half time with McGurn making a great save right at the end of the half.

Second hand started as the first ended with Elgin on top. A free kick saw Sheerin marking a winger (I think) who got the ball and just sprinted past him. Low ball in and well finished.

Then nothing was happening until a f**k up by Deas. A ball through the middle looked like it was rolling to the onrushing McGurn but Robbie knocked the ball past David. This allowed the Elgin striker in but he was taken out by the keeper who made no attempt for the ball.

Pyper went in goals for the penalty and stayed central as the ball was rolled into the bottom corner. Elgin then did nothing. 15 minutes against 10 men with no sub keeper and they had 1 shot from about 30 yards. They looked like they settled for a 3-1 win.

Peak Cowdenbeath though. First time I can ever think of that we have no sub keeper and our keeper is sent off. Just sums us up over the last 5 years. Goodfellow on holiday apparently.

Thoroughly depressing. Elgin figured out how to nullify us early on by isolating Sheerin from Cox and we were then stuck with aimless long balls to Jordyn. Elgin thoroughly deserved the 3 points and Sutherland was utterly class.

Elgin really needed that win. Good to see Shane working hard and Elgin controlling pretty much all the game bar one mistake that Cowdenbeath took fill advantage of. Did bother me though we could not make more of having a outfield player and a man sent off. Our GD needs a boast.

Surprised to see JP start in defence when we had two centre halfs on the bench but he played well. Far prefer Cooper at RB. Disappointed that we didn't seem to want score more towards the end against a non keeper, I think only one direct shot after the sending off.

Does anyone know if Gourley will play next week in cup or will McHale start in case the former gets called back to parent club and so isn't cup-tied?

Think more goals were there for the taking bit I guess the professional thing to do was shut up shop. Had we lost a goal going gung ho then the way we defend it could have led to another.

I thought the centre mid of Cameron and Omar did well. Both are creative and looking to play forward.  I thought Cameron was excellent the way he kept things ticking over and keeping things simple. Not sure about them both in the middle when we are doing more defending though.

Still don’t like 3 up front though. They don’t contribute enough when the opposition have the ball but I guess it is a case of horses for courses.

All that said really enjoyed the football we played and tried to play.

Cowden were poor from midfield back. 

Archived