Nasu Dau Bali

Demented Zebra

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going in January anyone been ? Any tips. 

Was there in July and loved it.

Firstly, how are you getting to resort from airport? If by taxi, make sure they take you via toll road. Helluva lot quicker and depending on time of day, will take about half hour max I reckon.
You ideally want to use Blue Bird taxis. They are a legitimate service and run on taxi meters, whereas everyone else will tend to ball park an amount for journey, so are therefore cheaper. I can’t remember how much I paid for taxi from airport to resort unfortunately, less than a tenner I’m sure.
We stayed in Melia Resort. Where are you staying? Resort was pricey and it was a stage of our trip where we wanted to relax, so we decided to upgrade to all inclusive once we arrived, ended up being about £70 per person, per night. We more than covered that between us btw.
Alcohol is more expensive than you would expect, almost £5 for each 625ml in hotel, although local shops and supermarkets will be considerably cheaper. Bintang is still my go to Lager at moment and is only available in selected Morrison’s.
There is plenty to see and do round island if that’s what you want.
I don’t want to write War and Peace here so if you have any specific questions then let me know [emoji106]

1 hour ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Was there in July and loved it.

Firstly, how are you getting to resort from airport? If by taxi, make sure they take you via toll road. Helluva lot quicker and depending on time of day, will take about half hour max I reckon.
You ideally want to use Blue Bird taxis. They are a legitimate service and run on taxi meters, whereas everyone else will tend to ball park an amount for journey, so are therefore cheaper. I can’t remember how much I paid for taxi from airport to resort unfortunately, less than a tenner I’m sure.
We stayed in Melia Resort. Where are you staying? Resort was pricey and it was a stage of our trip where we wanted to relax, so we decided to upgrade to all inclusive once we arrived, ended up being about £70 per person, per night. We more than covered that between us btw.
Alcohol is more expensive than you would expect, almost £5 for each 625ml in hotel, although local shops and supermarkets will be considerably cheaper. Bintang is still my go to Lager at moment and is only available in selected Morrison’s.
There is plenty to see and do round island if that’s what you want.
I don’t want to write War and Peace here so if you have any specific questions then let me know emoji106.png

Appreciate that thank you. We are staying at the Hilton resort.  What would you say is the average price in a good restaurant not that we would eat all  the time in places like that.  . Any don't not miss sightseeing recommendations ? 

Ah you are staying slightly further south and it’s a bit more remote from where we were. The Hotel we stayed at had 4 or 5 restaurants and I would say on average, you would be looking at about £70-£100 for a 3 course meal for 2, with a couple of drinks. This is main reason we decided to go all inclusive when you include all meals and drinks. It’s a very nice area and I expect most hotels to be on a par with regards to pricing. I didn’t venture down your way so can’t give advice for any local restaurants. There is a shopping centre called The Bali Collection which is ok but pricey, there are loads of streets dotted around that have market stalls where bargains can be had.
With regards to trips, we did 3 while in Bali. Firstly, we went to the Uluwatu Temple which is on the west coast of the mini island you are on. If you go in afternoon, then you can walk round temple then take in a tradition dragon dance while the sunsets then a meal before heading home. It has a stunning sunset. Secondly, we went to Garuda Wisnu Park which is located in the middle of the island you’re on. If you are arriving during the day, you will see a huge Hindu statue being built, should be near completion by time you get there. It’s essentially a park that you walk round and look at statue, because main statue hadn’t been finished we didn’t get near it. Some of the statues are huge and will take about a couple of hours to walk round. Finally, we took a day trip up to Mount Batur, but en route we stopped at the monkey forest in Ubud which was amazing, Rice fields, and a tea/coffee plantation and Tirtu Temple. At Mount Batur we stopped at a restaurant on what is essentially the crater ridge, it’s Huuuuuuge! Stunning place for Photos and Ubud has a lot to offer culturally. Wood carvers, stone carvers, jewellery making and markets. Very much a traditional side of Bali compared to the modern part you’re staying at. There is a lot more to see that I never managed, maybe someone else had advice. The full day trip I think cost about £70. We had our own driver who was also excellent and that was arranged through hotel, could probably find a provider cheaper out with hotel but I couldn’t be arsed.

Bluebird is generally the best taxi firm to use, but not so many of them on Bali, especially around the airport. You could also use Go-jek (Indonesian Uber) who are generally very good. Should cost 100k from the airport to where your going, but you’ll likely pay 200-300k (£12-18). For simplicity worth checking with the hotel as they will probably not be much more expensive and less hassle.

£70-100 for a 3 course meal for two is mental in Indonesia unless your eating extravagant. Plenty of places serving up great food for much less.

Bintang, is the beer of choice, but it is actually only Heineken.

£70-100 for a 3 course meal for two is mental in Indonesia unless your eating extravagant. Plenty of places serving up great food for much less.

That was the hotel resort prices, and we were on honeymoon so it was a tad extravagant. We never bothered seeking out local restaurants as there weren’t any close by and we ended up doing all inclusive anyway. I was in Lombok before and it was a lot cheaper.

That makes a lot more sense. You can eat well for a fraction of the price generally and a decent meal should still not be close to that, but if your eating in hotels, you will pay extra. Fair play if your on your honeymoon, you deserve to be extravagant, it’s all downhill thereafter ;-)

Same with the beer, that’s an exuberant price to pay for beer, but in a hotel probably the going rate. You should be paying half that in a pub/restaurant and a lot less in the supermarkets.

I hope your not paying crazy prices for your Heineken in Morrisons though ;-) The clue is actually in the label and name. The red star logo of Heineken on the Bintang beers and Bintang means star.

Yeah I know it’s part of Heineken. £1.67 for a 625ml is decent value. Drinking it takes me back to a happy place. 30174165-1C1F-4CA3-BE0B-922CEFA15336.thumb.jpg.938843b09609a08a0ffc2a9e2e972c19.jpg

I had seen someone mention Bintang before and I wondered how much it was in the UK compared to Heineken as it is the same product, just locally produced. 1.67 I guess is fair and if it takes you to happy place again fair play.

• 2 weeks later...

Mount Agung on Bali erupts again this morning. No increase in threat level at the moment, but may cause disruption to flights and affect the weather. On the back of Krakatoa falling to bits and causing a Tsunami just over a week ago and another volcano going off south of Mindanao a few days ago.

Archived