If 2018 was a tyre

Billy Rubin

Describe your 2018   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On the last day of the year - as a wee bit of a tradition - I always get 4 winter tyres fitted to prepare myself for the harsh realities of winter on the cusp of the arctic circle.    Up until 2014 (inclusive) I always used ATS Euromaster up at Inveralmond, but after a petty argument about time keeping and my store ban I'm forced into using National Tyres.     Many people dislike a visit to a fast fitter but for me it's excellent theatre.   First up there's the staff who to-a-man look they've been dragged through an oily hedge many times, and appear to have a thirst for bad language and juvenile play fighting when out fitting on the garage floor, yet when they return into the public area to answer the phone their voice raises about 3 octaves and they behave like butter wouldn't melt.    Then there's the customers if you're there 20 mins you can guarentee there'll be a person ( almost always a woman )  who'll approach reception without any idea of their car's tyre size.   The inexperienced driver at the fast fitters is also funny -  There was a studenty looking guy you came in earlier and asked for a quote on two Peronis for a Vectra!   I made sure I laughed a little harder than the tongue-slip deserved and it ensured he left feeling sheepish and unconfident.    He wont be back.   

But as always I used my tyre fitting time to reflect on my 2018 using my usual catorgorizing system:  

1)  Financials -   I've worked less and have maintained (an upper)  5-figure bank balance throughout 2018 which I'm very very pleased and I've added value to my house via the garage sauna conversion and the electric gate.   I'm now less than two world cup campaigns away from being mortgage free, and my two 2019 holidays are paid in full.    

2)  Sporting achievements -   My golf handicap is back down to 1 and I played 97 rounds at Gleneagles in 2018, 22 of them under par.     My highest ever snooker break improved by 20% to 60 and if I continue this upward trend by 2031 I'll taken enormous confidence If I can continue this linear progress until 2030 I'll have the highest ever recorded snooker break.    
My Gym work has been poor with probably less than 15 visits.   I hope to improve this in 2019.  

3)  Friends online and otherwise.    -   I now have 671 FB friends ( a rise of 12 ) on Jan 18 figures.    I'm back on talking terms with the neighbours to my left (as you're exiting my property) and a stable if small friends group I converse with on the Pie and Bovril community forum.   

So for me 2018 was a Good year, which ironically was the tyres ( got some Goodyear Ultragrip Performance on all fours now).    

How was your 2018 P and B forum members?     

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

On the last day of the year - as a wee bit of a tradition - I always get 4 winter tyres fitted to prepare myself for the harsh realities of winter on the cusp of the arctic circle.    Up until 2014 (inclusive) I always used ATS Euromaster up at Inveralmond, but after a petty argument about time keeping and my store ban I'm forced into using National Tyres.     Many people dislike a visit to a fast fitter but for me it's excellent theatre.   First up there's the staff who to-a-man look they've been dragged through an oily hedge many times, and appear to have a thirst for bad language and juvenile play fighting when out fitting on the garage floor, yet when they return into the public area to answer the phone their voice raises about 3 octaves and they behave like butter wouldn't melt.    Then there's the customers if you're there 20 mins you can guarentee there'll be a person ( almost always a woman )  who'll approach reception without any idea of their car's tyre size.   The inexperienced driver at the fast fitters is also funny -  There was a studenty looking guy you came in earlier and asked for a quote on two Peronis for a Vectra!   I made sure I laughed a little harder than the tongue-slip deserved and it ensured he left feeling sheepish and unconfident.    He wont be back.   

But as always I used my tyre fitting time to reflect on my 2018 using my usual catorgorizing system:  

1)  Financials -   I've worked less and have maintained (an upper)  5-figure bank balance throughout 2018 which I'm very very pleased and I've added value to my house via the garage sauna conversion and the electric gate.   I'm now less than two world cup campaigns away from being mortgage free, and my two 2019 holidays are paid in full.    

2)  Sporting achievements -   My golf handicap is back down to 1 and I played 97 rounds at Gleneagles in 2018, 22 of them under par.     My highest ever snooker break improved by 20% to 60 and if I continue this upward trend by 2031 I'll taken enormous confidence If I can continue this linear progress until 2030 I'll have the highest ever recorded snooker break.    
My Gym work has been poor with probably less than 15 visits.   I hope to improve this in 2019.  

3)  Friends online and otherwise.    -   I now have 671 FB friends ( a rise of 12 ) on Jan 18 figures.    I'm back on talking terms with the neighbours to my left (as you're exiting my property) and a stable if small friends group I converse with on the Pie and Bovril community forum.   

So for me 2018 was a Good year, which ironically was the tyres ( got some Goodyear Ultragrip Performance on all fours now).    

How was your 2018 P and B forum members?     

841165B4-7A5F-4EBE-A705-01176EE5A7E0.gif

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Where are you going on holiday Grahame Billy?

Well the first one you know about because your booked on it.   The other is a summer trip away, and I was dead against going away in the summer but in the end we booked a 3 week trip to the Say shells.  

edited to add:  4 star.  

Just now, Billy Rubin said:

Well the first one you know about because your booked on it.   The other is a summer trip away, and I was dead against going away in the summer but in the end we booked a 3 week trip to the Say shells.  

Haha thought I'd get you with that one since you're on a "five and drive" tonight! Looking forward to Dusseldorf.

2 minutes ago, Romeo said:

I go to Farmer auto care, very reasonable, staff are alright and don't f**k about too much.

That's such an authentic review, Romeo.    Which is why I've used to reputation system to mark accordingly.   

Presumably Farmer's are a Perthshire-based independent garage ?   

I have had a great 2018, the highlight has of course been the arrival of my daughter in February which has been an obvious life changing event but absolutely incredible. I haven’t had a decent holiday like I did in 2017 (which was overall a shite year) but I have spent lots of time with family and friends and my daughter and we had an incredible summer for weather which was made all the better for the World Cup.

I’m hoping to get a house in 2019 and maybe stop being such a fat alcoholic b*****d and take work a bit more seriously, will see how that goes!

1 minute ago, Romeo said:

They have 4 places.

Here is a link to the website.

https://www.farmerautocare.com

Website boasts about being "female friendly" tbh that's putting me off a little, but thanks anyway for the helpful nature of your reply.   A world away from the aggressiveness we grown to associate with the likes of @statts1976uk and @Unleash The Nade

Again another plus 1 for you Romeo.   Have a great 2019!

6 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

Website boasts about being "female friendly" tbh that's putting me off a little, but thanks anyway for the helpful nature of your reply.   A world away from the aggressiveness we grown to associate with the likes of @statts1976uk and @Unleash The Nade

What happened to the Kia Procee’d that you assured us was coming this year? Is that the car you were getting the tyres for?

Website boasts about being "female friendly" tbh that's putting me off a little, but thanks anyway for the helpful nature of your reply.   A world away from the aggressiveness we grown to associate with the likes of [mention=37265]statts1976uk[/mention] and [mention=25568]Unleash The Nade[/mention]

Female friendly suits me I don't have to worry about my wife getting finger blasted by a dirty mechanic.

Reasonably priced tyres too.

5 minutes ago, Billy Rubin said:

^^^

Says the racist , sexist , homophobe who’s been banned on numerous occasions :)

Archived