Ancestry.com worth it or pish

D TOTAL

3 hours ago, Adam said:

My Dad started doing it when he retired a few years ago, gave him something to occupy his time with.  He found a few interesting characters in the family tree, believe he got over 300 years back.  He gave me print outs of the stuff he found, but it's never really interested me, couldn't really care less tbh.

My old man was the same.  Its just a load of names on a bit of paper tbh.

I asked my mum if there was anyone of interest in her family before she died a few years back but she just said they were all alky teuchters.  Fair enough.

I joined for the purposes of making a family tree on the app. Never parted with any cash. As I had found a few dates (or in some cases, years) of birth, I then got  suggestions as to who the family members might be (some came from army records). After asking around and making sure that they were who I thought they were, clicking “yes” caused it to fill in loads more of my family members. Quite pleased with this.

A recently retired relative of one of my mates started looking into their family tree, got as far as confirming that this guy (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bodkin_Adams) was a pretty close relation and then quite hastily left it at that.

There had been a rumour that they were related to a suspected murderer, but I'm not sure they were quite prepared for a victim count possibly reaching triple figures. 

I was also quite impressed that a guy that only died in the 80s had been so well excluded from their family consciousness. 

I did this when they had a sale going on, I don't care too much about who my relatives were or what they did (being that a big part of my family is German, probably best I don't know) but was interested to know what my ethnic make up was, especially since every born and bred Canadian here loves to tell you how they are '1/16th Scottish on my mother's side'  When the results came back it had a couple of surprises but nothing to make me start thinking my grandmothers were whores. A friend of mine took the same test, to discover he was 100% Scottish, all from Central Scotland, inbreed. 

On a slightly related note, I watched a Netflix documentary called Welcome to Leith about a white supremacist  Craig Cobb. He appeared on the Trisha show and took a DNA test to discover he had 14% sub-Saharan African ancestry, lolz

5 hours ago, nsr said:

My sister got into this stuff a few years back, she managed to trace our family back 5 or 6 generations. From what I could tell the whole lot were a bunch of complete no-marks, just like us, making it a complete waste of time. My dad was utterly fascinated by her findings for some reason. The only vaguely interesting things were that a great-great-grandpa of ours was a spirit salesman (I don't think he left me a distillery, unfortunately) and our family name changed its spelling for unclear reasons three or four generations back.

^^^ Pissed ancestor spirit salesman couldn't spell own name

5 hours ago, nsr said:

My sister got into this stuff a few years back, she managed to trace our family back 5 or 6 generations. From what I could tell the whole lot were a bunch of complete no-marks, just like us, making it a complete waste of time. My dad was utterly fascinated by her findings for some reason. The only vaguely interesting things were that a great-great-grandpa of ours was a spirit salesman (I don't think he left me a distillery, unfortunately) and our family name changed its spelling for unclear reasons three or four generations back.

Saxe-Coburg-Gotha?

Archived