Tommy Roseweir

ex-german exile

Hurlford legend Tommy Roseweir passed away last week and at the family's request the funeral cortege will be leaving from his beloved Blair Park.

Tommy was born and grew up in the village and after his first stint with the Ford he played for a few years in Australia. In his various spells at BP, Skippy" played for United in three decades and was a coach in the 80s. He was a member of Davie Sneddon's Invincibles, who won the Ayrshire League and Cup double in 1972/73 and he was the first captain to lift the Jackie Scarlett Cup after Hurlford beat Kilbirnie Ladeside 6-2 at the Dam Park in the final replay (Pictured receiving the throphy from Jackie Scarlett's widow). PART_1555596385848.jpeg.701a04dd3b1a5014cbfa3ac5a7c993d4.jpeg

On a personal note, Skippy was my first hero in red and white. I remember him as a cultured midfielder, who could also play at the back, in the 70s. However, I'm told that he was regularly Ford's top scorer before Bobby Biggar arrived. Just an all-round good player who epitomised junior football at its best. My thoughts and best wishes are with his family and friends at this difficult time.

RIP Skippy.

I have a bit of knowledge of Australian football and looked up a few resources. Tommy played between 1965-1970 (6 seasons) for Melbourne club Essendon Lions in the State League, the top division in Victoria. It was very competitive football and most of the clubs were founded by a particular immigrant population, such as Greek, Italian, Yugoslav, Maltese, Hungarian etc and played in front of big crowds, a derby amongst Greek ethnic clubs could attract 10,000 (these were the games that used to appear on your pools coupons in the close season).   

Essendon Lions eventually became Melbourne Croatia and then Melbourne Knights, and still ply their trade in the top division in Victoria after many years in the (now defunct) National Soccer League which was replaced in 2004 by the current A League.  They are the former club of Mark Viduka.   It looks like Tommy left at the end of the 1970 season, and Lions were relegated the following year before being taken over by Croatia SC.

Hope that helps fill a gap in his career info.

Cheers. Tommy also played for Victoria State against AS Roma in front of 40k spectators and was being touted for national team selection before he returned to Scotland. When the Soceroos qualified for the 1974 WC in West Germany, three of Tommy's Victoria State teammates were in the squad.

Their was a big turnout at his funeral on Wednesday and he was given a fitting send off for the gifted footballer and devoted husband, father & grandfather that he was. A true gentleman who will be sadly missed.

Archived