A postive case for the union

On 19/05/2019 at 07:36, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

pOsiTiVe CAsE foR tHe UNioN

IMG_20190519_123404.jpg.6d27593db1e502f9f4e7c9f3964a9b8b.jpg

The most tragic thing about this is that whilst it wouldn't change their minds, it'd give 2 or 3 of my Yes voting pals a pang of sadness to read it.

On 19/05/2019 at 12:36, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

pOsiTiVe CAsE foR tHe UNioN

IMG_20190519_123404.jpg.6d27593db1e502f9f4e7c9f3964a9b8b.jpg

Wouldn't be so bad having to qualify through the Semi Finals, at least we'd be there on merit instead of bribery and coming last.

I see the BBC Parliament channel is showing a “debate” on the 20th anniversary of devolution, featuring the aristocratic cream of unelected Britnattery circle-jerking about how “patriotic” they are and how much they miss the good old days of servile Shortbreadland. Currently we have some flabby baroness (of Craigielea?) moaning about Gaelic road signs (filthy things, doncha know!). 

On 20/05/2019 at 18:06, welshbairn said:

Wouldn't be so bad having to qualify through the Semi Finals, at least we'd be there on merit instead of bribery and coming last.

...or even more last than they at first thought.  :lol:

On 22/05/2019 at 21:51, Antlion said:

(Forget the independence thing, lads and lasses - the privileged lords and ladies of our glorious upper house are suggesting federalism. Any day now.) 

Federalism is one of the big anti-EU taboos.  Shurely can't happen within the UK...   unless it suits some party's agenda, of course.

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:28, Antlion said:

I see the BBC Parliament channel is showing a “debate” on the 20th anniversary of devolution, featuring the aristocratic cream of unelected Britnattery circle-jerking about how “patriotic” they are and how much they miss the good old days of servile Shortbreadland. Currently we have some flabby baroness (of Craigielea?) moaning about Gaelic road signs (filthy things, doncha know!). 

South Ayrshire putting up dual language signs has not gone down well with the hoi polloi. The notorious anti-SNP local rag managed to find a Scot who lives in Lancashire to fire off both barrels about it.

It's not you @ICTJohnboy is it?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/sign-times-south-ayrshire-gaelic-16187415

44 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

South Ayrshire putting up dual language signs has not gone down well with the hoi polloi. The notorious anti-SNP local rag managed to find a Scot who lives in Lancashire to fire off both barrels about it.

It's not you @ICTJohnboy is it?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/sign-times-south-ayrshire-gaelic-16187415

:lol:

No, not me, but oddly enough I passed through much of Ayrshire last week on route from Cambelltown, via Ardrossan, heading for the M74 south.

I did notice some of these dual signs and the thought did occur to me that little, if any Gaelic was ever spoken in that part of the world.

Is it anti SNP to suggest that erecting dual signs in that area is a waste of time and money?

Edited by ICTJohnboy

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Is it anti SNP to suggest that erecting dual signs in that area is a waste of time and money?

£20k a year to rile up British supremacists (not you, obvs) suggests neither to me tbh. 

N5NGPjW.png

6 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

No, not me, but oddly enough I passed through much of Ayrshire last week on route from Cambelltown, via Ardrossan, heading for the M74 south.

I did notice some of these dual signs and the thought did occur to me that little, if any Gaelic was ever spoken in that part of the world.

It's virtually free.  Read the article carefully, they don't lie they just misrepresent the truth.  No sign is changed specifically to put Gaelic on it, they just add the Gaelic when they change the sign.  The only expense is a little paint.

Edited by Kuro

6 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The tourists will like it and it differentiates Scotland from England with a bit of cultural pizzazz. And as Koro says it's only a bit of paint.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Was Gaelic ever spoken in Ardrossan, the anglicisation of Aird Rosain? :huh:

I was struggling to understand several Ardrossan folk, but I really don't think they were speaking Gaelic. They're obviously multi cultural and multi lingual people - a bit like the people of Belgium.

1 hour ago, Kuro said:

It's virtually free.  Read the article carefully, they don't lie they just misrepresent the truth.  No sign is changed specifically to put Gaelic on it, they just add the Gaelic when they change the sign.  The only expense is a little paint.

It's unnecessary and confusing. For some years I was involved in a guesthouse business in Inverness. Visitors arriving from the airport  from Italy, Spain or wherever were bombarded with direction signs to the city centre in Gaelic first, with English underneath. 

Often when greeting visitors from abroad, the first question the first question asked was "Do you speak English"..? 

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

It's unnecessary and confusing. For some years I was involved in a guesthouse business in Inverness. Visitors arriving from the airport  from Italy, Spain or wherever were bombarded with direction signs to the city centre in Gaelic first, with English underneath. 

Often when greeting visitors from abroad, the first question the first question asked was "Do you speak English"..? 

That must have been a tough situation to resolve.

Gaelic road signs upset all the right people, so I'm all for them. 

I don't speak a word, but I like to think I do my part by not muting the TV when I'm watching a game on bbc Alba.

9 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

No but any excuse for SNP bad. In the Tory heartlands of South Ayrshire they get upset about the simplest little thing ;)

2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Gaelic road signs upset all the right people, so I'm all for them. 

I don't speak a word, but I like to think I do my part by not muting the TV when I'm watching a game on bbc Alba.

Donny Murdo = Danger Mouse.  There you go now you know two.

• 3 months later...

With things heating up with regards to a second independence referendum I call upon P&B’s more recent resident Unionists - Malky and Glenanover - to make a positive case for the Union on this thread. Give me reasons why staying in the UK is the right thing to do for Scotland.

Over to you.