The AEW Thread

TheGoon

Ladder match was right on the edge of being an absolute disaster, but obviously there's a pretty big window for that given the chaos that usually happens.  That Andretti/Guavara spot could have gone so much worse, which is lucky given it already went pretty fucking badly.  Hard to tell who got what given the camera cuts, and clearly they knew they fucked it given no replays.  Andretti looks like he hit it face first, then got caught up, and Guavara clearly caught the back of his head on the edge.  Really lucky there.

Really awkward ending too with Hobbs coming close to killing Takeshita, then persisting with the clearly fucked ladder.  Would it have killed him to get another ladder rather than basically have a number of referees assist him in winning?  Not a good look.

Overall, not really a show that felt like a go-home.  Just felt like your standard "here's a lot of matches that'll be good, with a small attempt at storyline".  A rare close on a promo spot that had some considerable fire, but it didn't really add a whole lot other than, for once, not letting MJF speak.  

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why are the referees holding the ladders?! What's with the brass ring?!

To limit the risk of injury considering how wobbly those ladders are. I'm guessing it started as a shot at wwe and the whole vince thing of people grabbing the brass ring. The winner spoilers: hobbs gets a shot at the tnt title after revolution. 

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

To limit the risk of injury considering how wobbly those ladders are. I'm guessing it started as a shot at wwe and the whole vince thing of people grabbing the brass ring. The winner spoilers: hobbs gets a shot at the tnt title after revolution. 

They shouldn't be doing such a move if it requires the refs to hold the ladder. That's proper tinpot that.

Surprised they both escaped injury in any case with that landing.

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

They shouldn't be doing such a move if it requires the refs to hold the ladder. That's proper tinpot that.

Surprised they both escaped injury in any case with that landing.

In near enough every ladder match in the last 10 years there's at least 1 spot where the refs will be holding the ladders.

All in all enjoyed the show but think the battle royal seemed to go on too long. Don't really mind the winners as I'm sure the PPV match will still be entertaining and different compared to the usual tag matches on the big shows.

That Moxley promo is up there with the best he's done.

6 minutes ago, Lukovic said:

In near enough every ladder match in the last 10 years there's at least 1 spot where the refs will be holding the ladders.

All in all enjoyed the show but think the battle royal seemed to go on too long. Don't really mind the winners as I'm sure the PPV match will still be entertaining and different compared to the usual tag matches on the big shows.

Has there? On camera? Don't recall that tbh but a shambles if so!

ETA: Googled it and seems you're right but it shouldn't be making the camera.

Edited by Ludo*1

18 minutes ago, Lukovic said:

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Has there? On camera? Don't recall that tbh but a shambles if so!

ETA: Googled it and seems you're right but it shouldn't be making the camera.

Aye, I think that's the key.  It's one of those behind the scenes bits of slight of hand that you know happens, but you don't really want to see happening.  It's like if the ref stopped the fight to help visibly blade Moxley each time he does it.  I don't think I've ever seen a spot where multiple refs are visibly holding the ladder in the centre of the ring, it's always been more minor ones.

Ladder bit didn’t bother me at all, it’s been happening for years. Mental match. 

Sunday’s the least I’ve looked forward to an AEW PPV I think. The main event and Elite/House of Black will be fantastic, but MJF/Bryan’s been the only build I’ve really enjoyed and we all know who’s winning. 

I really like some of programmes they’re starting up in ROH, Claudio/Kingston especially, but I just don’t understand why it can’t be on Dynamite. Rather than new, exciting stuff like that there’s feuds going on months longer than they should, and two tag team battle royals in two weeks.. 

2 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Ladder bit didn’t bother me at all, it’s been happening for years. Mental match. 

Sunday’s the least I’ve looked forward to an AEW PPV I think. The main event and Elite/House of Black will be fantastic, but MJF/Bryan’s been the only build I’ve really enjoyed and we all know who’s winning. 

I really like some of programmes they’re starting up in ROH, Claudio/Kingston especially, but I just don’t understand why it can’t be on Dynamite. Rather than new, exciting stuff like that there’s feuds going on months longer than they should, and two tag team battle royals in two weeks.. 

Likewise. Not even sure if I'll bother with buying it. 

The refs have been seen propping up ladders since the glory days of TLC. They could have been smarter with the camera angle last night, but it was still a great visual of Hobbs grabbing the ring while his home crowd were celebrating like mad in the background.

I forgot Mox/Hangman somehow, probably the best overall built match on the card, but another feud that feels it’s gone on a bit longer than needed. 

I’m not sure that Punk shows up here, but I absolutely expect him back with FTR for Double or Nothing.

Absolutely agree with things having dragged on too long for a lot of the feuds. Hope Starks and Jericho ends on Sunday because I don't want Starks stuck forever.

Could really have done with a PPV around the turn of the year to refresh things.

5 minutes ago, Lukovic said:

Absolutely agree with things having dragged on too long for a lot of the feuds. Hope Starks and Jericho ends on Sunday because I don't want Starks stuck forever.

Could really have done with a PPV around the turn of the year to refresh things.

I don’t think they needed a PPV. They’re usually good at building to big TV episodes - which the LA show was, but everything else has just been building to Sunday and the feuds have suffered as a result.

Regards to the ladder match. Aside from everything that's been said, Hobbs was clearly absolutely shiteing it having to go to the very top step of the ladder to get the ring. It wasn't bad when he retrieved the ring but you could see the cold sweat when he was having to negotiate his was back into a squat to step down. If he'd came off there it could have been a disaster.

Don't know why he didn't just nip outside and get the big fuckoff ladder TBH. It was clear it wasn't being used for any more spots by that point.

On 03/03/2023 at 00:08, TheGoon said:

I don’t think they needed a PPV. They’re usually good at building to big TV episodes - which the LA show was, but everything else has just been building to Sunday and the feuds have suffered as a result.

This, they need to pull the trigger with Starks ASAP. I'm thinking he was only about 27 or 28 but he's 33 and his best mate is Cody Rhodes so his next move is going to be a career-defining one. He's definitely one that WWE would be interested in and push quite heavily.

In saying that, we're getting to a VERY interesting point over the next 24 months. AEW's big 3 and 4 year contracts are starting to run down. Aside from the obvious ones that have been rumoured recently (MJF, Andrade, Miro, Kenny, FTR, Bucks) it would be interesting to see who'd perhaps make moves to WWE.

Starks and Hobbs are two definite massive stars in the making for me. Hobbs is in that Bobby Lashley mould of being fucking massive and can go - Lashley is still massive in terms of pull but at 46, he's probably only got a couple of years left before he drops to the Goldberg, Lesnar style 'attraction' gig and Hobbs would fill that void of big fast b*****d who ploughs through opponents.

Cole going back, I think will eventually be a 100% cert - he'd have never left in the first place if silly creative ideas weren't floated - and you'll likely see Britt make the move with him.

The Gunns are absolutely tailor-made for WWE as well. The youth, the legacy, the look, both really good on the mic.