The AEW Thread

TheGoon

34 minutes ago, SamuraiJock said:

excellent match. Probably the best wrestling match they can put on in the women's division at the moment?  Feel like Hayter should split away from Baker now and just let her be the fighting champ against all comers. 

They're obviously building towards Hayter vs Baker and a resulting full facr turn for Hayter.

11 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Anyone else get the feeling Punk may come back? Seems a long shot but I've a feeling he will come back at some point

For the record I'd be quite happy to see the back of him and the chip in his shoulder 

If theres money in it for him Punk will be back. Dick that he is😂

I'd love to see Punk back. His matches in AEW ranged from good to absolutely brilliant. He's a big draw and would be hugely over as a heel or face, maybe even both at the same time.

Even if they didn't do a program with him and The Elite, there's loads of good feuds and matches available to him in AEW, such as Swerve, Hobbs, Starks, Jungle Boy, Miro, Samoa Joe, Danielson, Adam Cole, Ethan Page, Malaki Black, Claudio etc etc.

If they did somehow work something out with The Elite then you'd have some amazing matches. Punk vs Omega would be insanely good I think. The Elite vs Punk and FTR would be phenomenal. Punk vs Hangman would be incredible. The crowds would be absolutely molten for those matches and split probably fairly evenly.

But don't see it. Think he's done.

Edited by DA Baracus

20 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They're obviously building towards Hayter vs Baker and a resulting full facr turn for Hayter.

While everyone's hyping themselves up over Saraya's tag partner at the LA show. I'm thinking of it as the beginning of the end of Hayter & Britt. Thinking Double or Nothing for them.

If Sasha Banks/Mercedes is coming in she can be kept busy with the Owen Hart Cup and IWGP Women's title early on before any potential AEW Women's Title challlenge.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I'd love to see Punk back. His matches in AEW ranged from good to absolutely brilliant. He's a big draw and would be hugely over as a heel or face, maybe even both at the same time.

Even if they didn't do a program with him and The Elite, there's loads of good feuds and matches available to him in AEW, such as Swerve, Hobbs, Starks, Jungle Boy, Miro, Samoa Joe, Danielson, Adam Cole, Ethan Page, Malaki Black, Claudio etc etc.

If they did somehow work something out with The Elite then you'd have some amazing matches. Punk vs Omega would be insanely good I think. The Elite vs Punk and FTR would be phenomenal. Punk vs Hangman would be incredible. The crowds would be absolutely molten for those matches and split probably fairly evenly.

Have always found your takes on wrestling to be very good and well informed but it's a real stretch to describe punk's matches over the last year as ranging from good to absolutely brilliant. His mic work was good, his ability to draw was good, his ability to get heat was good, but him wrestling on such an insanely talented roster I thought showed just how bang average he is in the ring now, even allowing for the rust when he first returned, he's an 8/10 character on screen but his matches were a succession of 5/10s. 

I think it's somewhere in the middle with Punk.  I don't think he was absolutely brilliant, but think it would be harsh to describe him as average.  He's definitely not on the level of some of the most talented, but then I don't think he was ever going to be.  He was out of the business for a long time, part of it getting his head kicked in in UFC, and he's a fair age now to be coming back into it completely fresh.  I think he started out pretty solid, but his first injury came at a pretty awful time, and it all led into his first love - being a moany c**t.  But at the end of the day, you can be the absolute best in the ring, absolutely incredible, but the sort of charisma Punk can bring is not really something you can teach.  I'd far rather watch a spiky Punk-style wrestler who can sell you on a feud from the first few lines of the first promo, than a technically brilliant match that struggled with everything outside.  From memory, was Punk's feud with MJF absolutely brilliant from a purely in-ring perspective?  Probably not, but it made up for it in everything else that makes wrestling brilliant.

I think, from a pure money perspective, they would be fools for not considering bringing him back.  There's so many programs he could still do from when he first came back, let alone the ones he created with his antics.  But the big question mark comes with what he brings back with him.  His conduct at the All Out scrum was probably enough to get most people in deep water with management, but the aftermath sunk him deeper.  The Bucks and Omega seem like they'd always be the more liked party, particularly as they don't seem to have done much wrong.  If you bring Punk back, how much of the roster welcomes him back with open arms?  FTR seem to be the main ones, but if you're going to piss off a lot of people, is it worth it?  There's a lot of less-than-household names on the roster who made people nearly forget that the Elite and Punk were even gone in the aftermath, and I'd imagine bringing him back just to make money doesn't really send a great message.

But on the other hand, you stick to your principles, you buy out the contract and let him go because you can't face working with him again, put away the chances of making all that money...does he then swallow all that pride and go back to HHH and end up in WWE again?  Now I think that's the most unlikely scenario, as he's probably not exactly short of a few bob, and can find plenty of things to do with himself that don't involve wrestling at his age (drawing comic books and looking at AJ Lee seems like a nice way to spend his life), but there's probably going to be that fear from AEW.  A year-long contract culminating with Punk finally main-eventing Wrestlemania would  make a lot of money for WWE and for Punk.

Edited by forameus

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I’m the opposite. Maybe it’s a generational thing but I’ve zero interest in Punk coming back, always found him to be upper mid-card entertainment at best and have never got the hype around him. 

As for Miro being mentioned as a potential foe for Punk - Lana’s recent comments adding fuel to the fire that he might be on his way back to WWE.

4 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Have always found your takes on wrestling to be very good and well informed but it's a real stretch to describe punk's matches over the last year as ranging from good to absolutely brilliant. His mic work was good, his ability to draw was good, his ability to get heat was good, but him wrestling on such an insanely talented roster I thought showed just how bang average he is in the ring now, even allowing for the rust when he first returned, he's an 8/10 character on screen but his matches were a succession of 5/10s. 

Agreed.

15 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Depends what your definition of “better” is but there are literally dozens of other folk I’d rather watch and/or listen to.

On TV/PPV, Punk was absolutely fantastic. He didn't have a bad segment and gave AEW a significant shot in the arm. 

Off-screen and it's a different situation. If he's caused even a percentage of the problems he's reported to have then it's probably best they're rid. Saying that...

Call me a mark, but I don't think he's done. He's not daft, nor is the Elite, and certainly TK isn't. There's a lot of money on the table if they want it and I can see him coming back at Revolution to start a feud with the Elite. Punk and FTR challenging for the Trios titles which then spills into Punk v Omega. 

Either way, the last few weeks of Dynamite have been fantastic. Roll on 2023.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Is it worth a listen? I love FTR but with them being gainfully employed by AEW I wasn't sure how candid he could actually be, particularly on the Punk stuff. 

Well worth a listen especially if you've decided your mind on Punk based on one side of the story.

Can't believe Dax is trending. Not because of his comments on the Punk shenanigans but because he praised Jim Cornette (who is also trending). Lot of Twitter want FTR binned from AEW because Dax said once you filter through some of Cornette's extreme nonsense intended for clicks, he actually talks a lot of sense about wrestling.

That's being interpreted by a lot of people as Dax defending Cornette's 'racist' and 'sexist' views.

Wild.

On 29/12/2022 at 21:52, Ludo*1 said:

Can't believe Dax is trending. Not because of his comments on the Punk shenanigans but because he praised Jim Cornette (who is also trending). Lot of Twitter want FTR binned from AEW because Dax said once you filter through some of Cornette's extreme nonsense intended for clicks, he actually talks a lot of sense about wrestling.

That's being interpreted by a lot of people as Dax defending Cornette's 'racist' and 'sexist' views.

Wild.

Guess it depends where you look. Punk & his thoughts on Meltzer are the only things I've seen. 

This is the first I've seen of him cos of Cornette.